Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
Reactions: gatearray

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
You’re not alone, and with good reason - he’s objectively a terrible public speaker; one of the worst I’ve ever heard. Not helped by that southern drawl but more annoying because he speaks with such an air of arrogance and with such faux emotiveness that’s not genuine even in the slightest.

A southern accent sounds great from someone who’s warm, open and funny, but Tim Cook is none of these things - not even close. He’s as dry as the Atacama and as soulless as a robot.

I like Apple products, I just wish the company had a CEO who wasn’t such an econocrat snooze-fest. It’s really hurting Apple’s image. Dare I say, he’s turning Apple evil.

Yeah, you described it much better than I did... He sounds like a career workaholic that he is, no emotion. And it really shows.

He's probably not too happy as a person, since he can't lead a normal life, fact only complicated when he came out. Celebrities have it bad as is, the ones who choose not to hide from the public. You can only imagine the tabloid mess if Tim Cook was seen in restaurant with a man?

BTW, i'm not bashing him in any way, just pointing out that it's much harder in his situation. Money can't buy everything. But who knows, he might be enough of a corporate robot that he's isolated his emotions.

Reactions: simonmet

mgmacius

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
Yeah, you described it much better than I did... He sounds like a career workaholic that he is, no emotion. And it really shows.

He's probably not too happy as a person, since he can't lead a normal life, fact only complicated when he came out. Celebrities have it bad as is, the ones who choose not to hide from the public.

Funny how well this quote from Nigel Farage fits here... Tim have "all the charisma of a damp rag and the appearance of a low-grade bank clerk"

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Funny how well this quote from Nigel Farage fits here... Tim have "all the charisma of a damp rag and the appearance of a low-grade bank clerk"
It’s the lack of content. He looks alright, but his words are a bag of pure cold nothingness.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Bolded in your post, which is not accurate. I think it depends on the individual and how influential somebody can be pending the speech that's given from the guest speaker. I agree that some can't remember everything from the speech, but I would also be willing to believe how close Someone was paying attention and does the speech have parts that relates to them in their chosen field and how they move forward.

Well, poll some of your work associates and friends. I'm sure there is one nerd around that took their commencement speech(es) to heart. The rest of us were trying not to choke on the forced humor lines or busy watch gazing. Commencement speakers are so pro forma. It's fun to hear the announcement who it is. But once it happens it's as memorable as a vanilla ice cream cone. It's like the teacher in all the Charlie Brown cartoons... all you hear is "blah, blah, blah." The most rememberable and honest one is one that plays on the radio:

DrMotownMac

Contributor
Jul 11, 2008
Michigan
Has anyone noticed Tim has the habit all the time, again and again starting a sentence with:

"I couldn't be more"

I couldn't be more excitied
I couldn't be more happier

etc etc.....

The irony is that if he truly could never be more excited, than why does he never really sound excited? I mean, let's be honest here. Tim Cook isn't exactly overflowing with enthusiasm when he speaks, right? In spite of Steve Ballmer's insanity, at least you could never really argue that he wasn't "excited" when he spoke....

Scooz

Suspended
Apr 9, 2012
Has anyone noticed Tim has the habit all the time, again and again starting a sentence with:

"I couldn't be more"

I couldn't be more excitied
I couldn't be more happier

etc etc.....

At least he doesn't sound like the old Kindle's text-to-speech in slow mode anymore (guess he used that to often) as he did from 2011 to ca. 2013. Listening to any of his "excited" speeches during these years was really hard.
[doublepost=1516634502][/doublepost]
Did anyone else see the video? Tim Cook has the charm of a goat. He is SO freakin boring!

My god, someone give him a personality!
That’s offensive to goats! :D

That fox tried hard to fight the identity forced onto him. Might be a hint.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2016
He needs to just say: "I couldn't even!"
[doublepost=1516545804][/doublepost]
The animosity seemed like they were missing and misreading facial movements... or maybe they were working as expected. Dunno, but they didn't look as polished as the commercials.
I think these are the results one gets usually; but the commercial-actors were practiced and rehearsed to "emote clearly", so the algorithms could pick up the facial-cues more betterer.

The fox also needs more "elasticity" to his snout-area. He doesn't really "emote" very clearly.

Still pretty good for first-generation and real-time. In about 2 or 3 years, they will be like you really were a unicorn, etc.

Reactions: JM

itguy06

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2006
I disagree. Most of us only get to sit through a handful of them; our own, perhaps one for a brother or sister, and then those for our own children. All should be proud moments, and not something we find boring.

I found mine boring. I didn't even want to go but my parents wanted me to go so I did.

It's really a pointless thing - you have your diploma, most have a job (I did) and the hard work has only just begun (life). I don't need someone else to tell me how to live my life or how I should act or any of the other BS that is said at commencement. Just give me the diploma in the mail and let me get on with it.

I found college to be a joke anyway - 50% liberal indoctrination and 25% useful stuff that is long forgotten and 25% that actually applies. The good thing is I met my wife there.

Reactions: DrMotownMac

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
Tim is looking more and more like my grandma...
Crazy but I know what you mean.
From the neck up he's starting to look a bit like "Granny" from an ancient tv show called the Beverley Hillbillies.
Except the Granny character was pretty feisty and Tim Cook is a walking sleeping pill.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
LAETTNER?! That’s the best you can do?? A 30-year-dated basketball reference? Lmao!
OK how about the typical entitled Duke student and alum arrogance that still persists today? Little more relevant?
[doublepost=1516728746][/doublepost]
OK, but that was, what, almost 30 years ago? Time to let it go...
The arrogance entitlement that pervades throughout that school still prevails. No different today than it was 30 years ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.