Tim Cook Visits 'Kitchen Stories' Developers and Furniture Maker Dula on German Trip

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Feb 7, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following a trip to France, Tim Cook today toured Germany, where he made a number of stops to visit furniture maker Dula, the developers behind the Kitchen Stories app, and the team at Refinery29.

Cook has been documenting his trip on Twitter, sharing a number of photos at each site. Before leaving France, he made one last stop to visit the Marché Saint-Germain Apple Store, where he met with staff, iOS developers, and Apple customers. It was his second visit to an Apple Store following a stop in Marseille earlier this week.

[​IMG]

He then headed to Vreden, Germany, where he met with Dula. Dula is a furniture manufacturer that works with Apple to create some of the furniture and hardware used in Apple's retail stores.

Cook took a tour of the factory and then headed to Berlin to meet with the developers behind the Kitchen Stories app. Created by two women in 2014, Kitchen Stories is a recipe app that walks users through each step using photos and videos.

During his time at Kitchen Stories, Cook also met with Refinery29 for an exclusive interview where he talked about women in the workplace, diversity, wage gaps, and more.

[​IMG]

Cook was specifically questioned about the German start up scene, where just 13.9 percent of lead roles are held by women. According to Cook, improving that rate hinges on a work environment that "encourages and motivates women to participate." He went on to say that it's a problem that needs to be tackled early in life, in schools, with young women encouraged to enter the STEM field.

Pay equality was also a subject, and Cook explained that Apple pays all employees equally regardless of gender, something all companies should do.
    Cook's full comments can be read over at Refinery29, but the original interview is in German and will need to be translated.

Following his short trip to Germany, Cook will head to Scotland on Wednesday where he will accept an honorary degree from the University of Glasgow.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Tim Cook Visits 'Kitchen Stories' Developers and Furniture Maker Dula on German Trip

2. WarHeadz, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017

WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

How is this political or social?

Edit: Nevermind, you guys already managed to make it political.

3. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

4. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

5. ILuvEggplant Suspended

ILuvEggplant

fantastic Tim Cook!

Equal pay for equal work.

If you have a problem with this then you are the problem.

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Hard at work on that exciting product pipeline I see.

7. simonmet, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017

simonmet macrumors 68000

simonmet

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought there were laws to guarantee this in most western countries already?

Added: I'm aware sexism and mysogeny exists in workplaces, but so does homophobia, racism and discrimination against anyone with a disability or mental illness. Heaven help you if you have more than one of the above.

I have 3 significant disadvantages (out of the above) which probably explains my frequent employment difficulties and current unemployment.

But in my experience, sexism is one of the lesser forms of discrimination compared to others I've encountered.

8. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

I agree with Tim/Apple on pay equality. It's ludicrous that anyone doing the same job at the same company is not paid the same pay for no good reason (being male or female is not a good reason).
    Left: Cook feels at home in Kitchen Stories. Right: Tim Cook proudly displays the full 2016 Mac desktop computer line-up.

9. dontworry, Feb 7, 2017

dontworry macrumors 6502

dontworry

10. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Tim I would love a new iMac,also a new iPad Pro 10" with no bezel.

Come on make it already lol you have the money to do so.

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Would you settle for a well crafted table?

12. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Wow such an original, clever comment.

13. Glassed Silver macrumors 68020

Glassed Silver

Hmm you know, if anything I'd hope that executives of Apple tried a little more to witness other cultures and regions themselves so they can LEAD their teams or see the necessity of smaller regional teams leading and influencing the development of products with respect to local needs and specialties a little more.

Living in Germany I can tell you that Google's got the localization down quite well, Apple not so much.

This doesn't "just happen", it needs leaders to recognize and gain their own overview, or blindly trust the hopefully qualified people to lead such efforts.

This will become more crucial as we move into an ever more personalized, smart world of technology that people will undoubtedly interact with more naturally and intimately.

Glassed Silver:win

14. krause734, Feb 7, 2017

krause734 macrumors 6502

krause734

Tim Cuck is more like it. Getting owned by Windows and Android while he looks at tables.

15. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

I didn't know Tim was the one physically working on everything. Isn't he employing other people to do that?

16. citysnaps macrumors 68040

No, just doing the things a CEO for one of the largest companies in the world is supposed to do from time to time. You might not know other CEOs do the same thing.

17. gim macrumors 6502

gim

True words. But in the end, it's all about profitability. You can clearly see how Apple is working hard on localizations for markets like China and India, because there is so much potential money to be made there.
    But for Germany and other European countries? Not so much. Android is dominating in Germany with almost 80% market share, so I'm pretty sure we will have to keep living with a really bad German Siri, no Apple Pay, and so on...

The language on my iPhone has always been English. That doesn't solve all the problems, but at least Siri is useable this way.

18. Shaun, UK macrumors 68040

As an employer different employees have a different value to my company based on their skills, experience and productivity level. They might be doing the same job but they're all paid different amounts regardless of gender.

Equal pay sounds great in principle but it's not that simple for many companies.

19. CausticSoda macrumors 6502

CausticSoda

20. Wowereit macrumors 6502a

Haven't really noticed that at any place I worked.
    What I noticed is that men in general are working longer hours and simply negotiate more often.

I always felt like most women want their employer to acknowledge their work and give them a pay raise automatically. Truth is that won't happen. If you want something you have to push for it.

21. El Burro macrumors regular

El Burro

You're the problem.

22. Galacticos macrumors 6502a

Galacticos

Just when I thought tim might actually be off trying to eek out one tiny semblance of a creative thought, he comes out with this.

women in societies that are *more free* (more opportunities and less finance based decisions on work - western nations) choose carer jobs (traditional female positions) more than those societies (emerging economies like Bangladesh) that are more effected by economic scarcity, where women choose stem jobs in higher numbers.

So tim is right when he says women need encouragement and motivation, because they themselves (generally) don't want to work in stem when other choices are available. Tim and many sjw's seem to have a problem with what women choose for themselves
    --- Post Merged, Feb 7, 2017 ---
    Shame on you for perpetuating this myth.

The wage gap =total male revenue -total female revenue.

If you think that's a clever way to see if men and women get 'equal pay for equal work' you should stay far far away from stem

23. Glideslope macrumors 601

Glideslope

24. ck2875 macrumors 6502a

ck2875

25. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144