Tim Cook Will Give 2015 Commencement Address at George Washington University

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 25, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple CEO Tim Cook will give the keynote address to graduates at George Washington University this May, the university announced today. Cook will speak on May 17 on the National Mall and was nominated for the honor by students earlier this year. The university also plans to give Cook an honorary doctorate of public service.

[​IMG]
    Cook's last commencement speech took place in 2010, at his alma mater Auburn University. At the time, Cook was Apple's Chief Operating Officer, and he took the opportunity to call working at Apple "the best decision I ever made." He gave a moving speech that emphasized the importance of intuition and how it led him to Apple.

Previous commencement speakers at George Washington University have included actress Kerry Washington, former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, First Lady Michelle Obama, former President George H.W. Bush and former First Lady Barbara Bush, and Hillary Clinton.

It is not clear if a live stream of Cook's commencement address will be available, but George Washington University does typically share videos of its commencement events on Vimeo shortly after they take place.

Article Link: Tim Cook Will Give 2015 Commencement Address at George Washington University

2. Dekema2 macrumors 6502a

Dekema2

How do colleges/students bring in big name speakers like this?

Cook will have a hard time outdoing Job's Stanford speech.

3. tbluhp macrumors 6502a

4. brinary001 macrumors 6502a

brinary001

:eek: Wow what a lucky graduating class! Like how the 2005 graduating class at Stanford was lucky for having Steve Jobs speak. Can't wait to hear it.

5. joshwenke macrumors regular

joshwenke

The real presentation starts when Craig get up there.

6. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Jobs speech was fantastic and pretty much devoid of politics. I have a feeling Cook's won't be.

7. 2bikes macrumors 6502

8. greg55 macrumors newbie

It's on the National Mall so yes it will be accessible to the public. You won't be allowed in the space GW will have reserved for the ceremony but they have large TVs on the Mall.

----------

9. CFreymarc Suspended

I was about to say that. GW graduation is one of the better commencements in the country. If Tim knows anything good, he'll give the kids a bright outlook of the future devoid of any politics sans free speech issues.

10. Trik macrumors 6502

I live in DC, let's get this over to reddit so we can organize something for the Apple fans who spent all their money on computers and had nothing left to pay for GWs tuition.

11. iPadCary macrumors 6502a

iPadCary

Bah! College is for chumps.
    Take that six-figure lump sum, or, more likely, lump debt,
    and go out and get your start in the world.

I bet in most cases, people who do that will be far better off
    four or five years down the road than their school-going brethren will be.

12. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

I hope you're right. Then it will be even better than Jobs' speech.

13. DavidTheExpert macrumors regular

"I know our graduating students will be inspired and enlightened by his reflections on the lessons he has garnered from his distinguished career as a highly effective leader at the forefront of technological innovation."

What a bunch of pedantic bullcrap. Apparently nobody taught this guy about run-on sentences.

14. Donoban macrumors 65816

Donoban

College/uni broadens your perspective on the world. You can have your opinion but that's all it is.

15. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'm sure Tim Cook will deliver an inspiring Commencement address, but awarding him an honorary doctorate in public service? Apple is a for profit company and there's nothing wrong with that -- but I fail to see the public service aspect.

16. applesoundgear macrumors member

Hell yes. Never been so happy to be the GWU class of 2015.
    Jealous?

17. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

That isn't a run on sentence...

18. chromite macrumors regular

Grammar Nazis: http://youtu.be/N4vf8N6GpdM

19. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

My sister lives in DC. I may make the trip down there. Plus the Yankees are playing the Nationals that weekend.

20. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Not an expert on grammar apparently.

21. 2457282 Suspended

I think I will be in DC at that time, so I will plan to attend. Since it is on the national mall, it will likely be easy to see even if it is technically not a public affair.

Should be interesting.

22. unobtainium macrumors 68020

Statistics say that every year of college increases income. Yes, even for liberal arts degrees.

Of course there are entrepreneurs who "make it" on their own and that's great, but it's not the average. And anyway, there are other reasons to go to college besides making money or landing a job. It used to be about expanding your mind learning about the world, and it has always had a social aspect as well.

23. Tech198 macrumors G5

We all know Tim is good as what does, but a "public service"... seriously ?? Apple is good as what they do, but i would hardly call Tim an icon..... Steve job's was an icon, as he made it all happen.

Tim is just taking over... Still, if you wanna praise someone, praise jobs. he deserves it more.

24. budselectjr macrumors 6502a

Obviously if site was smart they would have made this thread "political'. Have fun kids.

25. The Barron macrumors 6502

No way

This company is now run by Cook & he doesn't need Jobs anymore to compare. Fact is, Cook has grown Apple more & faster than Jobs ever did.

Plus, from everything I've ever read, heard & seen, Jobs was a tough SOB to work for. He loved to put people down & make them feel like s***. Tim Cook does't need to do that.

Cook is a great choice for this honor.