Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook will give the keynote address to graduates at George Washington University this May, the university announced today. Cook will speak on May 17 on the National Mall and was nominated for the honor by students earlier this year. The university also plans to give Cook an honorary doctorate of public service.

timcookgwuniversity.jpg
"I am delighted that Tim Cook has accepted our invitation to give this year's commencement address on the National Mall," George Washington President Steven Knapp said. "I know our graduating students will be inspired and enlightened by his reflections on the lessons he has garnered from his distinguished career as a highly effective leader at the forefront of technological innovation."
Cook's last commencement speech took place in 2010, at his alma mater Auburn University. At the time, Cook was Apple's Chief Operating Officer, and he took the opportunity to call working at Apple "the best decision I ever made." He gave a moving speech that emphasized the importance of intuition and how it led him to Apple.

Previous commencement speakers at George Washington University have included actress Kerry Washington, former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, First Lady Michelle Obama, former President George H.W. Bush and former First Lady Barbara Bush, and Hillary Clinton.

It is not clear if a live stream of Cook's commencement address will be available, but George Washington University does typically share videos of its commencement events on Vimeo shortly after they take place.

Article Link: Tim Cook Will Give 2015 Commencement Address at George Washington University

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
How do colleges/students bring in big name speakers like this?

Cook will have a hard time outdoing Job's Stanford speech.

brinary001

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
:eek: Wow what a lucky graduating class! Like how the 2005 graduating class at Stanford was lucky for having Steve Jobs speak. Can't wait to hear it.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

Jobs speech was fantastic and pretty much devoid of politics. I have a feeling Cook's won't be.

greg55

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2014
It's on the National Mall so yes it will be accessible to the public. You won't be allowed in the space GW will have reserved for the ceremony but they have large TVs on the Mall.

----------

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
It's on the National Mall so yes it will be accessible to the public. You won't be allowed in the space GW will have reserved for the ceremony but they have large TVs on the Mall.

I was about to say that. GW graduation is one of the better commencements in the country. If Tim knows anything good, he'll give the kids a bright outlook of the future devoid of any politics sans free speech issues.

Trik

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2011
Washington, DC
I live in DC, let's get this over to reddit so we can organize something for the Apple fans who spent all their money on computers and had nothing left to pay for GWs tuition.

iPadCary

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
NEW YORK CITY
Bah! College is for chumps.
Take that six-figure lump sum, or, more likely, lump debt,
and go out and get your start in the world.

I bet in most cases, people who do that will be far better off
four or five years down the road than their school-going brethren will be.

DavidTheExpert

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2012
"I know our graduating students will be inspired and enlightened by his reflections on the lessons he has garnered from his distinguished career as a highly effective leader at the forefront of technological innovation."

What a bunch of pedantic bullcrap. Apparently nobody taught this guy about run-on sentences.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013

College/uni broadens your perspective on the world. You can have your opinion but that's all it is.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I'm sure Tim Cook will deliver an inspiring Commencement address, but awarding him an honorary doctorate in public service? Apple is a for profit company and there's nothing wrong with that -- but I fail to see the public service aspect.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
"I know our graduating students will be inspired and enlightened by his reflections on the lessons he has garnered from his distinguished career as a highly effective leader at the forefront of technological innovation."

What a bunch of pedantic bullcrap. Apparently nobody taught this guy about run-on sentences.

That isn't a run on sentence...

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008

Not an expert on grammar apparently.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Is this open to the public?

I think I will be in DC at that time, so I will plan to attend. Since it is on the national mall, it will likely be easy to see even if it is technically not a public affair.

Should be interesting.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011

Statistics say that every year of college increases income. Yes, even for liberal arts degrees.

Of course there are entrepreneurs who "make it" on their own and that's great, but it's not the average. And anyway, there are other reasons to go to college besides making money or landing a job. It used to be about expanding your mind learning about the world, and it has always had a social aspect as well.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
We all know Tim is good as what does, but a "public service"... seriously ?? Apple is good as what they do, but i would hardly call Tim an icon..... Steve job's was an icon, as he made it all happen.

Tim is just taking over... Still, if you wanna praise someone, praise jobs. he deserves it more.

The Barron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Central California Coast
No way

This company is now run by Cook & he doesn't need Jobs anymore to compare. Fact is, Cook has grown Apple more & faster than Jobs ever did.

Plus, from everything I've ever read, heard & seen, Jobs was a tough SOB to work for. He loved to put people down & make them feel like s***. Tim Cook does't need to do that.

Cook is a great choice for this honor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.