Tim Cook's View of the Apple Philosophy

fairpro

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2008
nj
collector's item

i think that i have an apple collector's item. apple never mentions it and virtually nobody talks about it. and many young people have never heard of it including some workers at the apple store.

it's called an apple boom box.

entropys

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
i think that i have an apple collector's item. apple never mentions it and virtually nobody talks about it. and many young people have never heard of it including some workers at the apple store.

heh, heh. At Christmas I was visiting some relatives that were holidaying at Surfers Paradise. They had, in their unit, would you believe it, an Apple Hi Fi. Now, these people only exposure to Apple was ipods (hence the Apple Hi Fi, but sheesh, he had even bought a storm instead of an iphone).

Anyway, they could not say enough good things about it. Until then I had not even seen one.

Regarding the BB storm, it did not stand up well to a direct comparison to my iphone,mainly because of the lag required to actually press the screen, rather than touch. Although the ability to landscape email was a plus for the storm. I was polite though: "nice phone".

ctucci

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2008
Yer Mom's basement.
Minimax

Look at the Mini and say that, Tim.
Wait, what's necessarily so horrible about the mini? My core2duo mini 2.0 ghz with 2 gigs of ram actually does a pretty good job. I run my business apps via Parallels, everything else including my Photoshop work I've moved to the mini.

I'm walking around my office with a nice set of wireless headphones, listening to podcasts/music while monitoring visitors on our E-commerce site, chatting with them when they request on the mac side-

And all while managing tasking, notes, and email on the corporate server in space 2 (Parallels/Xp/Office 2007) and using VPN to manage product flow with an install of MS/RMS.

A simple command-k logs me in to the PCs at the franchise locations (I put ultravnc on 'em, works great) to help when they need advice.

This is all at the same time, with reasonable screen response.

Sure, it's not perfect, but I came off a reasonably high end Vista setup with relative ease. And I get Apple's point now - proof of concept. I see no reason to switch back.

I kinda like my mini.

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
It's interesting that Cook is referred to as 'unemotional'. This could be quite a character flaw for someone who is looking to take Jobs' place. Either way, I think the sooner Jobs steps down, the better. The majority of Apple owners don't care about him or really know of him (remember, the days of cult Apple are over, now that nearly everyone has an Apple product). It's mostly fanboys and investors who care. But even then, with share prices going up after the positive financial results the other day, you've got to wonder what matters more at the end of the day - Steve at the helm, or good investment returns? So that just leaves the fanboys.

maybesew

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2008
The mini is actually Tim's case in point. They released it, it didn't sell well. They revved it a few times, it still doesn't sell well. The last time they revved it was at a special event at town hall with media there, and they didn't even mention that they revved it. It got brought up in the Q&A.

They are self-honest enough to know that the product won't be a huge success. They don't chase after it and commit tons of engineering resources to it, because they know for that price point, it can't be the machine people want it to be.

This is a tough pill for fans to swallow, but Apple won't be making a $600 computer that can edit HD video in realtime in iMovie and play games with high FPS, etc

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Wait, what's necessarily so horrible about the mini?

Nothing, it's a great machine.

What's not so great is the way Apple has neglected one of it's greatest computers and let it languish without any updates in ages. It's insane what Apple HASN'T done with the Mini :mad:

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
What other technologies? Let's see, mini display port, firewire, the new 8 hour batteries in the new 17" MBP. I could go on listing the various codecs, file formats and networking protocols that Apple have been instrumental in developing and officially standardizing.

Apple is not just about iPods and OS X and contrary to common belief, mac laptops are "not" standard off the shelf hardware. The only thing that changed with the switch to Intel was the source company for the motherboard chips and CPUs. They still design their own motherboards with unique features and performance enhancements. Why else would the MBP have been faster at running windows than other laptops with similar specs?

sgntscrawn

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
Adelaide, Australia

Hehe, me too! :)

But that's a good case in point - great unit, a touch over-priced, didn't sell too well. Apple learned that there was already great units that did a similar thing at cheaper prices, and pulled out of the market, to focus on the ipods themselves.

That being said, I think we Apple Hi Fi owners are an elusive elite :D hehe

whatever

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2001
South of Boston, MA
It's not in Apple's best interest to make their leadership team superstars. If they do then other companies will actively recruit them. This is similar to when back in the day companies like Adobe used to list the names of their developers in the software. It was cool, but also gave the competition a list of names to go after.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
The “We believe that we need to own and control the primary technologies behind the products we make” is not really a mystery.

To me it says: PA Semi are going to do the chipsets for iPhone and iPod, so out competitors can't just source the same parts to build rival devices.

Steve Jobs has said as such earlier.

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
Got to say I never knew much about Cook before, but I was quite impressed by what I heard this week. I think that this is what the outside world needs to see. Jobs might be the figurehead but there is a lot of depth behind.

I suppose its a tricky situation for them, strength in depth helps keep the investors stable and happy. Jobs as the figurehead fuels the "cult of Apple" helping boost sales and also keep investors happy.

The mini is not (generally) for existing mac users or mac fans.

It was designed to make it easy for people to switch from windows to the mac.

Existing keyboard, mouse, monitor. Just add the world's best operating system at a good price.

Mac OSX and the iLife suite on a mini blow any multi quad core 5GHz intel box any day

NightFox

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
The mini is not (generally) for existing mac users or mac fans.

It was designed to make it easy for people to switch from windows to the mac.

Existing keyboard, mouse, monitor. Just add the world's best operating system at a good price.

Mac OSX and the iLife suite on a mini blow any multi quad core 5GHz intel box any day
Exactly what it did for me - a full time Windows man until I bought a Mac Mini to play with when they first came out. Now I'm a couple of years down the line with my MacBook and about to go iMac or Pro to replace my main PC. If it hadn't been for the Mini, don't think I'd have ever taken the Mac jump.

mrboult

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
London, England
I don't understand how people here seem to have made up their minds about the future of Apple and Tim Cook's potential ability to run the company as CEO after a single statement!

How do you know Cook even wrote the damn statement? Surely only time will tell?

surferfromuk

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2007
and the genius of this is that Apple actually have a philosophy and it's a great one which is clearly visible in their products.

troller

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2008
Apples Philosophy = Selling almost the same **** on 3 different events 3 times. Waiting more than 1 year to sell a downgraded mac mini.

Maybe next year you have to pay some extra money to get your macbook with an off/on button.

Sorry but they have no Philosophy anymore, all they do is selling overpriced crap and giving a **** what consumers think or want. Apple could already have a big piece of the OS cake but.......whatever