Tim Cook's View of the Apple Philosophy

backdraft

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2002
USA
Mac Mini = Digital Signage Heaven

Some of us just want it to be kept reasonably up-do-date.

Whatever else the Mini is or isn't, what it is is a desktop(*) Mac that is (or would be...) ideal for anyone who already has a perfectly good screen that they still use (or for those who favour matte) and doesn't want to fork out an extra couple of hundred pounds/dollars for an all-in-one or laptop with an unneeded screen and extra footprint.

Whether for HTPC, gaming or (like me) just general computing, there are many of us who simply need a non-outdated machine that does not have a built-in screen.

(*) In that, regardless of components, it sits on or by a desk and runs off the mains.
Mac Mini's are great for Digital Signage (Think Sedna Presenter, which so happened to power the signage at Macworld), Kiosk's, DVR/Apple TV replacement, Render Farms, File/Print Servers and just about anywhere where space is limited or where you need to embed a computer. If Apple would target those markets the would fly off the shelves faster.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Mac Mini's are great for Digital Signage (Think Sedna Presenter, which so happened to power the signage at Macworld), Kiosk's, DVR/Apple TV replacement, Render Farms, File/Print Servers and just about anywhere where space is limited or where you need to embed a computer. If Apple would target those markets the would fly off the shelves faster.
agreed. The Mac mini is too targeted/marketed/focused by Apple as a "switcher" machine or a "little computer to give you a taste of Mac", when in reality it is a Powerful full desktop replacement that is pretty much the smallest thing of its kind out there. To employ its amply large hard drive with a speedy processor and a decent graphics circuitry that can drive a huge 1920x1200 display, we are presented with a computer than can run every 2009-era productivity and graphics app with great speed. This computer is even suitable for serious video editing tasks and the most difficult Photoshop endeavors. To push more out, the marketing needs to be better, and the serious nature of this computer needs to be emphasized. At up to (and sometimes more) than half of the price of the iMac, this Mini packs the internal hardware necessary for any serious task. It's not a Mac Pro, but 99.5% of people would never need 32GB of RAM and 4 internal drive bays anyways. This is a great little computer, and I hope Apple sees its future need and continuing potential in the days ahead.

scottstover

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2001
The mini is not (generally) for existing mac users or mac fans.

It was designed to make it easy for people to switch from windows to the mac.
I disagree. I would love to purchase a new tower. The problem? Money. The mini would be a way for me not to go way out of my budget to purchase another Mac. I have the original G4 450MHz tower sitting at home. This thing will celebrate it's ninth birthday in October. I love the ability to change out video cards, memory, add to the PCI slots, etc. I can do this with a tower but I can not afford one (or justify paying so much). I can't do this with the mini but I can afford one.

What I hate is the Lexus mentality at Apple. Not everybody wants to pay for a Lexus to have the same functionality. Give me a tower that is inexpensive and has the ability for me to make my own additions and changes, when necessary. I drive a Honda because it does everything I want, without the price of a Lexus for dexterity and fashionable interior.