Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dj420118

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2006
That product is great and all but what about all of us that already have an airport extreme?

Can we use our current External HD to back up wirelessly like leopard was originally promised to do?

Danny

Spliff

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Can we use our current External HD to back up wirelessly like leopard was originally promised to do?

Nope, you need a network harddrive to do this. The cost of the time capsule isn't bad considering you are getting airport extreme plus the network HDD. It's also 7200 RPM and has printer support.

KJdanReuben

macrumors regular
May 22, 2007
Nope, you need a network harddrive to do this. The cost of the time capsule isn't bad considering you are getting airport extreme plus the network HDD. It's also 7200 RPM and has printer support.

But it is a bad price if I already have both Airport Extreme and 500gb HD that was bought in October just for Time Machine and Leopard. I hope they release an update of some kind that will allow us to use Airport Extreme and a HD. Time Capsule is a great product though. I'm just a little aggravated.

jdm7

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2005
firmware/software update?

I did the same thing: AE and 500GB ext drive last October. How hard will it be for Apple to provide some type of update for those of us who drank the kool-aid a little too early?

superspud

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2007
so, its basically just a wireless hard drive? or do you HAVE to use time machine with it? i like the idea of being able to access files from anywhere in my house with my macbook, but i dont want to use it just for time machine :(

Spankey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
NJ
so, its basically just a wireless hard drive?

It's a wireless hard drive and Airport Extreme in one. I was about to pull the trigger on an Airport Extreme with some Best Buy gift cards. Glad I waited. This will do quite nicely.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
But it is a bad price if I already have both Airport Extreme and 500gb HD that was bought in October just for Time Machine and Leopard. I hope they release an update of some kind that will allow us to use Airport Extreme and a HD. Time Capsule is a great product though. I'm just a little aggravated.
Yep, that totally sucks. Just got a brand new base station (had to get one before MacWorld because I moved and needed to be connected), no way am I going to throw that out and cough up hundreds more. Why can't a shared drive on the Extreme BS be used for this?

Side note: Hmm, also their page (http://www.apple.com/wifi/) looks like it's lying because they say the AE base has three Gigabit ethernet ports, when in fact they are only 100BT.

chem

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2007
Like everyone else, I have a USB external backup drive and an AEBS.

Apple is never, ever going to get me to buy a "Time Capsule" to replace my AEBS+external. Just make Time Machine work with my damn AirDisk!

I have no problem plugging the disk into my laptop once a week to back things up. No extra $299 from me, Steve.

rj1974

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
the Netherlands
Like everyone else, I have a USB external backup drive and an AEBS.

Apple is never, ever going to get me to buy a "Time Capsule" to replace my AEBS+external. Just make Time Machine work with my damn AirDisk!

I have no problem plugging the disk into my laptop once a week to back things up. No extra $299 from me, Steve.

I totaly hear you! I'm also a recent AEBS owner and somewhat puzzled by this product. It shouldn't be to hard to make the AEBS work with an attached HD (USB) or my NAS while we are on the subject. If Apple continues with these sort of products leaving early adaptors left behind, I feel it will lose it momentum. Just to make a point; who is willing to buy a somewhat thinner but very pricy laptop with less storage and the CD/DVD drive stripped when you can buy a Macbook (Pro) instead??!

matttrick

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2006
im so loving time capsule. i could see the frustration if i had just bought something similar but less functional, but i would just ebay the old equip for the new.

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
Side note: Hmm, also their page (http://www.apple.com/wifi/) looks like it's lying because they say the AE base has three Gigabit ethernet ports, when in fact they are only 100BT.

Have you been living under a rock? The AEBS:n (that came out in October or so) has gigabit ports.

On a side note: I do hope that they repair the AEBS AirDisk time machine functionality. I know it can be hacked to enable it (I posted the damn hack for christ sake).. but still.. if it can work over wifi with time capsule why not with an airdisk?

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
We just got the new N wireless router when it first came out (upgraded from the UFO one). We also have a 500gb HD. But I NEVER use the HD for time machine, I just use it to store stuff, and rarely touch it. I am VERY excited about this new product. I think we are going to sell the current router we have, and get this. I think its a phenomenal price. Its only $150 more, for a wireless 500GB harddrive. Thats not bad. And since both mac users in this house are using Macbook Pros, we can now start using Time machine more avidly.

Very neat...

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
We just got the new N wireless router when it first came out (upgraded from the UFO one). We also have a 500gb HD. But I NEVER use the HD for time machine, I just use it to store stuff, and rarely touch it. I am VERY excited about this new product. I think we are going to sell the current router we have, and get this. I think its a phenomenal price. Its only $150 more, for a wireless 500GB harddrive. Thats not bad. And since both mac users in this house are using Macbook Pros, we can now start using Time machine more avidly.

Very neat...

The AEBS:n is 179.99.

299-179.99=119.

20 more than I paid for my external 500gb drive, but yes a heck of a deal! I'd still rather keep my current setup with the ability to back up over wifi (without a hack) than re-buy new hardware.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Have you been living under a rock? The AEBS:n (that came out in October or so) has gigabit ports.

On a side note: I do hope that they repair the AEBS AirDisk time machine functionality. I know it can be hacked to enable it (I posted the damn hack for christ sake).. but still.. if it can work over wifi with time capsule why not with an airdisk?
Hmm, OK, I didn't realize they had updated it in October. And yes, I have kind of been living under a rock, but usually I catch Mac update news.

Anyway, still lame they couldn't make it work with the USB shared drive...

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
The AEBS:n is 179.99.

299-179.99=119.

20 more than I paid for my external 500gb drive, but yes a heck of a deal! I'd still rather keep my current setup with the ability to back up over wifi (without a hack) than re-buy new hardware.

In canada they are $329. And the airport base station is $199. So $129 for an extra 500GB HD. Sweeeet.

Edit: I was just thinking, it would be pretty sweet if they made it so the AEBS:n was capable of using an external HD, after you plug it into the AEBS:n, so you can use it wirelessly.
Oh well, I have to sell all the old stuff and get this new one :D

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
Would have bought a AEBS in May when I switch to Cable from BT Broadband, this makes the switch even better. Really like the look of Time Capsule.

I don't use time machine at the moment as it's just to much of a pain plugging an external drive into my MBP. But with Time Capsule I'm there :D

Mercury7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2007
time capsule was probably my favorite from the show.
couple of questions though.

if I buy time capsule as a networked hardrive( not back up)
then would'nt it make since to just get the 40gig apple tv instead of the 160?

second question.....my mac mini still is running panther....the specs on the time capsule says 10.4....will I have to upgrade?...anyone still have a tiger disc?
my laptop is already 10.4

Mercury7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2007
btw those of you who say you have a extreme already....can't you just locate it in a different part of your house for better signal/range....would be especialy useful out in the garage to use with the touch/iphone while streaming music...cutting grass etc

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005

Chris F

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2007
I just found out that you can use your current AEBS:n and your current external HD!

http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/features/harddrivesharing.html

So there is no need for me to get Time capsule! saaaweeeeeet!

Time machine does not and has never worked with the "airdisk" feature of the AEBS. This is why most of the people (myself included) in this thread are very upset. Apple intentionally disabled backing up via Time Machine to a networked AEBS disk and then goes and releases a product that does EXACTLY that. Not cool.

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
Time machine does not and has never worked with the "airdisk" feature of the AEBS. This is why most of the people (myself included) in this thread are very upset. Apple intentionally disabled backing up via Time Machine to a networked AEBS disk and then goes and releases a product that does EXACTLY that. Not cool.

Oh. Well that sucks. But hey, you can still MANUALLY back up your files. Just back up your entire hd on your external HD.
Yes, not as efficient as time machine, where it backsup constantly, and any changes you make, but it might be better than dishing out the extra for it. We will see....

eoren1

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
I'm hoping that a Leopard update to 10.5.2 or a firmware upgrade for the AEBS will allow an Airport disk to work in a similar fashion. I'm waiting for the first teardown of the device to see if there is anything in particular that has made wireless time machine possible. If the above aren't done, I can see a $100 store credit in the near future for all those that bought the AEBS after Leopard was shipped...

empress

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2005
can't decide between the 500gb and 1tb? i currently use a 200gb exernal drive that i just maxed out and i only use it on one machine. i was planning to get a new external drive so this is perfect timing. in theory, the 500gb should be more than enough for this machine and one other, but i'm thinking of more movie files down the line = more space. should i just go ahead and get the 1tb for a few hundred more? anyone have any thoughts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.