Tiny defect on a brand new iMac (27")

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Henrik85, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Henrik85 macrumors member

I just want to share this with you all to see if I should even bother thinking about it...

I purchased a brand new 27 inc iMac today, and I'm loving it so far.

It does however have one really small defect. A tiny, tiny piece of aluminum is missing from the bottom-front of the aluminum case, forming a tiny dent.

Now, as you know, this is a pretty expensive machine, and I was hoping to get it in a 100% perfect condition.

What would you do in my situation? I basically just want to hear you say - "it's nothing, just ignore it".

Here's a picture of it (it looks worse than it actually is because of the extreme close-up)

2. simsaladimbamba

I have something similar on my 2009 MBP, but as it still works despite the tiny cosmetic irregularity, I just accept it. Nothing is 100% perfect.

3. Amnesiac1 macrumors 6502

4. Henrik85 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, the thread may be closed :)

5. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

I would keep it and enjoy the machine. Actually I probably wouldn't have even noticed it. However its your money and if that is something you cannot live with by all means bring it back. Either way enjoy!

6. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

i mean it looks REALLY small.. can't tell cause the pic is so macro'ed but yeah, it's probably nothing at all.

7. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You'll have that. Aluminum isn't super hard, so it will dent a little bit. I wouldn't worry about it at all. I don't think apple would replace it for that anyhow.

8. Henrik85 thread starter macrumors member

I think it looks huge in the pic :) But yeah... it's totally invisible in dim lighting, and it just looks like a tiny stain of dirt or something in good lighting...

Even IF Apple would grant me a replacement, it would be too much of a hassle anyway...

Thanks for your input.

9. jgo78 macrumors 6502

if you got a perfect display which is rare, then keep it. Otherwise you're sure to get one with yellow tint.

10. Henrik85, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2011

Henrik85 thread starter macrumors member

The display is 100% perfect :) No dead pixels, no yellow tint, looks absolutely amazing :)

EDIT: Well OK, there's a small hint of yellow at the right side of the screen, but it's almost impossible to spot :p

11. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

now that you made a picture of that "dent" make a second one that shows the exact location and safe the two pictures on DVD , as this "dent" makes your iMac unique and in case someone takes your iMac without your consent the police has something to identify your iMac more easy

you can always in the first 14 days return your iMac for whatever reason, but there is a chance you could receive a total yellow tinted one , or one with a rattling HDD or .....
    so think of that unique identifier dent that it gives your iMac character and personality , no one else on this planet has the same dent at the same spot on their iMac's

12. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

Apple don't use serial numbers then? :rolleyes:

13. timtom33 macrumors member

Exactly, serial numbers. If your iMac gets robbed they will probably put a few dents and scratches in it carrying out your house and flinging it into the back of a van while they make their getaway.

14. 482214 macrumors 6502

I know you don't want to hear this but it's obvious that you are not 100% happy due to the fact you're asking the question and on a forum to strangers.

If you don't change it now then you will likely always regret it and be reminded of this imperfection every time you use it.

You have spent a lot of money on a premium product... You deserve the best and to be completely 100% happy with your purchase.

If it was me I would have been straight back to the store/returned online, etc.

Good luck with your decision either way bro.

15. SteveWTW macrumors member

PLEASE post a photo of this amazing defect. I can't wait to see it!

16. 482214 macrumors 6502

So you class defects as Amazing?!

Ok.............

17. syhr macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

He has posted a picture. Really any need for the sarcasm either?

My opinion is that if you aren't completely happy with it you should change it. You are entitled to a product without any defects. However if it doesn't bother you then maybe the hassle of changing it isnt worth it. Totally your choice

18. Henrik85 thread starter macrumors member

Right, I'm not 100% happy, and the more I think about this, the more irritating it gets. I'll call Apple today to hear what they have to say about it.

19. 482214 macrumors 6502

I completely agree... I can never understand why consumers abuse other consumers for trying to get the service and product qualities that they deserve and are paying for.

Don't be angry with the OP for seeking what he only deserves.

20. 482214 macrumors 6502

Do it bro

Take what is yours!!!

21. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

OCD much? I would never have noticed such a tiny little dent. Mine would assuredly give you nightmares if that little thing bothers you. Mine came with a couple of little dings (refurb) but I never even notice they are there.

22. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

If you live near a store and you can walk in and walk out with a new one then i'd probably swap it.

If you've stuck a load of software on there i'd probably not bother about it.

23. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

serial numbers yes they got them , but you can change those too fairly easy in fact you can change every info you get in "about this Mac" to your liking , so you want your date of birth as serial number you can get that , apple has software to do just that ,just in case they have to change your logicboard for a new one which comes without any serial from the manufacturer and if you look a bit in Google then you may find a download for that software

24. 482214 macrumors 6502

You must notice they are there if you're writing about it here?!

A few dings on a refurb isn't so bad... but brand new should be perfect and just that - brand new.

25. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

Looking at your photo it's hard to get an perspective on it's size. End of the day it's your call, however if you've got a "perfect" display (no yellow, no dead pixels) then you should bear that in mind as they're going to be a whole lot more irritating.