Tiny indentation in my new macbook pro.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JoshGlzBrk, Apr 24, 2010.

1. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

I know you are expecting a picture so that will be up sooner or later.

I got my new i7 15" macbook pro just this wednesday. I have been playing around with it and today I noticed that there was this tiny dent to the left of my left speaker. It's nothing huge, maybe 1 cm long and a fraction of a cm wide but once you notice these things they really start to tick you off.

In the last 3 months I have gone through about 2 dell "studio xps" systems due to major build quality issues and finding this mark today just about broke my heart (thearpy please :p).

What are my options?

I don't really want to go without a laptop for another week so if that is my only option I will just live with it....

And, I know this is not anything of my doing unless my soft little generous fingers somehow dented my macbook... I have babied this thing since I brought it into this world (unboxing) and this whole ordeal just frustrates me.

Am I able to get a replacement for it being "defective"? If so would it be brand new. If not would I be able to get a full refund and re order?

Again, pictures coming soon, it's tiny but annoying once noticed.

2. plasticphyte macrumors 6502

I'm sure when you bought the laptop you were aware you have a two week 'customer satisfaction' return period, and a one year warranty period, with an optional two year Apple Care extended warranty (to total three years), as well as 90 day technical support?

Why not use one of those *cough*exchange-two-week-return-period*cough*.

3. JoshGlzBrk thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

Wouldn't that come with a restocking fee?

4. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

If there's physical damage on your brand new computer I think you'd have a pretty easy time getting the restocking fee waived.

5. Pavia macrumors regular

Suppose next time you buy something expensive, take 5 minutes after you've unboxed it, to make sure it's in perfect condition. ;)

6. FrancoisC macrumors 6502

FrancoisC

You should exchange it right now, because later if you have problems with it they are probably going to refuse fixing it because of "physical damage".

Search the forum, you'll see a lot of post about people who got their warranty denied for something minor like that.

If yours came out of the box like that, change it ASAP.

And you should not have a restocking fee for an exchange.

7. JoshGlzBrk thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

8. adomanico18 macrumors member

adomanico18

I really wouldn't bother going through with an exchange for something so tiny and miniscule.

9. cys920622 macrumors member

I'd feel bad for the MBP getting returned for this. But then again, you paid well over $2000 for a "perfect" machine, so perfect is what you should get. Right?

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yup and thats apples outlook too. if you take it back and ask for a refund - they HAVE to do it :)

11. acribb macrumors regular

Get it replaced.

Don't feel bad or guilty about it.

You paid over $2K for a computer, which is twice as expensive as any other computer out there. Customer service comes with this price of admission.

Apple will exchange it and will understand, no problem.

12. underblu macrumors regular

honestly i'm surprised you could even see it unmagnified. I'm a stickler about my stuff but i doubt i'd return it and deal with the hassle for something so tiny. At least you didn't get one with a yrllow tint or a stuck pixel. and that's a tiny scratch it's certainly no ding or dent. Also, unless your using it under a glass case you'll probably pick up several more tiny scratches.

13. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

I totally get it. I have a similar twinge - I just freak out if something I buy isn't absolutely perfect - and why not? I paid full price for new, I should get perfect! Don't feel guilty about it. Walk in, talk to the manager, and request an exchange.

14. JoshGlzBrk thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

Well the problem is it's a CTO.

15" i7, hi res, 256GB ssd.

I really don't want to have to return it , wait for the refund, re order and wait another week...

15. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

it doesnt matter. if they have one in stock - they will give it to you right there and then. you dont have to wait for the refund or anything.

like we have said, its apple and you have paid for the premium!

16. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

wow....i just noticed that we have a lot of perfectionist in the macrumor community...lol. this is...just wow x_x

17. JoshGlzBrk thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

Hey now!

I admit that I shelter my mac children but it's for their own good :p

I just gave my little iPhone the privilege of going out into the world without any kind of extra protection. My 7 month old iPhone is growing up :')

I really don't know what I'm going to do.... And I doubt there will be any of this model in a store.

18. BrianMR macrumors regular

BrianMR

Perfectionism isn't unusual amongst Apple customers. If it means enough to you, don't feel bad about returning it. Someone will get a good deal in the refurb store too. ;)

19. gadgetfreaky macrumors 6502a

Take it from me friend---take it to Apple support right away and get it fixed. don't mess aroud with gaming the system.

i had a small dent on mine, I honestly don't know if I caused it or not. But when my computer had a real problem, they used the dent to deny apple care saying I abused it and that was what caused the problem. Eventually, I was able to persuade them to fix it..but it can and will cause you problems if you do not report it immediately.

Do not futz about ....get it fixed and in mint condition right away or it will cause you serious problems down the line period.

20. gadgetfreaky macrumors 6502a

wait I just saw the pic you posted. that does not look like an issue....it's too small.

21. vampyren macrumors regular

I would for sure change it. I'm a perfectionist and something
    like that would make me sad. MBP is thing of beauty and even the smallest
    scratch will just destroy the image for me atleast.
    I actually had the same problem last time and AppleCare
    simply send me a new one and totally understood me so go
    for it I say or you will think about it every time.

22. gagaliya macrumors 6502

are you for real....

23. JoshGlzBrk thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

Was it within the first few days that you got it?

24. gooter80 macrumors member

my thoughts exactly. With people returning stuff for reasons like this no wonder apple charges such a premium.

25. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

are you 2 serious? if you dont have any positive input then dont even bother replying. thats just plain rude. :mad: the OP paid for his machine and it has a dint, its a PERFECTLY reasonable subject to talk about and to ask others about what processes he needs to take in order to have it fixed/replaced.

you have a 14 day period where they will replace it (or refund), no questions asked.