Tips for New York trip

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GixxerPilot, Dec 7, 2015.

1. GixxerPilot macrumors newbie

So I am traveling to New York in the beginning of February with my GF. We are staying in the center of times square and the vacation is going to be a week long. I have previously been to Chicago and love seeing and experiencing the states and the people. We have looked at the tourist information and plan to see the common things you have to see while visiting New York for the first time. But other than that I would like to hear some insiders tips if someone has any. Places or things that could be interesting to check out that might not show up on trip advicer ect.

What are some good restaurants that are not overly expensive in the area close to madison square garden? And what can we expect the weather to be like at this time? :)

2. maestrosteve macrumors member

I'm in the Times Square area many times a week. You will be staying in one of the most expensive areas. Restaurants there are expensive because their rents are expensive as well. Head further west towards 8th and 9th Aves where there are many fine restaurants that the locals go to, that are much more reasonably priced. You should also consider walking thru the upper west side, like from the 60s on up, along Columbus Ave and Broadway, to around the mid 90s. Great food, nice restaurants and the vibe is great.

I think all the best places to visit would be listed on many websites. There are no secret buildings or places like that, that would make a good tourist visit. Check out the Planetarium, Museum Of Natural History, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Empire State Building, take a ferry to see the Statue of Liberty, go to a game at Madison Square Garden, check out the area around lower Manhattan where the World Trade Center buildings were along with the new building and Memorials, as well as the major shopping and window shopping along 5th Avenue.

Weather is a crapshoot. It will be cold in February, or very cold. We get a big snow once in a while, but not like the New England states get.

Have fun here. While I live on the NJ side of the river now, I love working and being in the city as often as possible.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Do NOT drive a car. Trust me on this. It's not the driving that wears you out, it's the parking. Walk, take a cab, anything other than driving.

4. Mac'nCheese, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015

Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

New York is second to none when it comes to pizza and Italian food. Check our sbarro for the first and the Olive Garden for the second. Unlimited breadsticks, how can you go wrong?

5. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Please tell me that was a joke, and you didn't recommend for someone to go to either of those horrid chains for pizza or Italian food when they're in NYC :)

6. maestrosteve macrumors member

Oh, it's a joke for sure.

7. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

We used to go to NYC a couple of times a year, every year. We stay off the beaten path, find small places to eat, drink, hear some music, don't do anything too tourist-y, outside of a few shows where we usually just hit up TKTS and find a few cheap options, and we've had some amazing finds (our fave off-b was Evil Dead at New World), seriously just wade out into the city and let the vibe direct you :)

Yeah, I'm usually the one getting asked if my obvious-to-me joke was a joke ... I must be a little slow today. :D

8. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Some good advice here particularly recommend getting to the upper west side and while you are there visit Central park. If you like chinese food a visit to Shun Lee on 65th near Columbus is recommended for Mexican recommend Rosa Mexicana between w61 and w62. For breakfast Barney Greengrass on Amsterdam in the W80's.

9. maestrosteve macrumors member

Some other really good suggestions.

10. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Do not stop for people on the street. This is important. Salesmen will weed you out as tourists and use their tactics, including vigorously complimenting you or otherwise trying to get you to stop, to make you feel the need to buy something. They will go as far as to shove tickets, CDs, etc in your face.

Although NYC is mostly safe, also be cautious who you give money to. I've seen firsthand an obvious drug addict attempt to steal a wallet from my friend, although we caught on to the scheme before he had a chance.

Wish I could give better advice other than don't fall into tourist traps but this needs to be said regardless.

I could add:

Head to the box offices in the morning for deals on show tickets that haven't sold out.

Budget to eat at least one $100+/person meal. It's worth it.

Take time to just walk around and take in the city.

Enjoy yourselves!

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Go to John's on West 44th Street for pizza. Will knock your socks off. Place is an old theater.

12. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

This place looks good, will have to try sometime.

Merilu in Hell's Kitchen (by Times Square) has exceedingly fresh pizza and is one of the best-reviewed in the city.

If you need authentic pizza quickly, Neapolitan Express is an excellent concept popping up around the city. Probably the best "express" pie you'll have cooked fresh in ~ 2 minutes flat.

Edit: I checked and Neapolitan Express cooks their pies in 45 seconds at 900 degrees. Fantastic concept.

13. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

Take a tour of the United Nations, an interesting place for sure.

14. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

A very bad joke. Stay away from chains.

You can't sneeze without hitting an amazing place to eat. Do get out of the immediate Times Square area though.

15. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Agreed. Times Square, MSG, etc are great and amazing for those who have never been, but be sure to get off the beaten track a little. The tourism is NYC is crazy.

16. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Apple Store, SE corner of Central Park. Get familiar with the subway. If it was another time of year I'd suggest walking jogging Central Park. :)

17. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

If New Yorker's were half as good at pizza as they think they are it's be great there..:p

I second the don't drive part I'd also spend an afternoon in the Hudson Valley it's beautiful and quiet up that way. It's House-ton St. not Houston St.

18. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

Breakfast at Ellen's Stardust Dinner is good fun.

Views from The Top of the Rock at sunset are great - need to book and arrive early.

19. throwthedice macrumors regular

Some very good advice here.

Are you looking to spend the entire week in the City or are you open to venturing out of the city for a bit?
    It's been a mild December so far but if last year or the year before is anything to go by, Feb will be COLD! Not a lot of snow though, so layer up and you should be good. And remember to download a PDF of the NYC subway map on your phone/tablet - will come in very handy.

20. kazmac, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015

kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

I agree with many of the comments already made. Kind of embarrassed to say I work in Manhattan and do not take nearly as much advantage as I should of things folks mentioned.

If you're near 10th and 11th Avenues walk the High Line. It's lovely, and there are a variety of places to eat.

Museum tip: if you want to visit the Museum of Modern Art (53rd and 5th) go on Friday evening when the $25 admission is waivered.

If you're going to hit the 5th Avenue Apple Store (near Central Park) visit early in the morning. That store is open 24 hours.

Here's a safety tip: look like you know where you're going. That will effectively cut down your chances of being solicited etc.

Food:

Times Square and Rockefeller Center (midtown) are notoriously expensive dining-wise, however I can recommend a couple of decent places on 50th Street and 6th avenue that are not too expensive: Bocca has a variety of food but I enjoy their Grandma pizza (thin Sicilian) $3.25 a slice. Little Beet is more heath conscious and you'll pay a little more than Bocca but I've had some nice things there.

For a mini chain, Bills Bar and Burger is pretty great too. Their Shrimp burger is killer.

February weather can be super wonky. Right now, it's unusually warm here.

Most of all, I hope you enjoy your visit here and have fun.

21. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Remember that it can get cold here in NY in the winter. Pack well. Today it was 65.

22. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

All of this, plus OP should check out the 9/11 memorial and museum. I thought it was really interesting.

23. GixxerPilot thread starter macrumors newbie

Just wanted to say we had the most amazing trip, the weather was cold but dry most of the time and on some days sunny :) We got to se the 9/11 memorial site and underground museum, walked central park, statue of liberty, Carlos Bakery in new Jersey, a stand up show on Broadway, times square, got to see a NBA game at Madison Square Garden, walked Brooklyn bridge, national museum, empire state building and Wall Street. On the second day being there I bought a GoPro camera on sale and documented the whole trip and will be showing a compilation of footage to family and friends. People were so friendly and overall it was just an awesome experience.

Anyways thanks for the tips in the thread, it was really useful :)

24. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Good to hear. Next time you need to schedule some time to see the other 90% of NY - UPSTATE! So much history up here if you're into that kind of thing plus lots of hiking, scenery, LOTS of things to do. You could schedule 2 weeks and not do or see it all.

25. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Where'd you end up going to grab a bite? NYC can be a very friendly place if you plan it well in advance ;).