Carrier Tips for preordering via AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nikos, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

Due to Next being the only option via Apple, a lot of us are going to be forced to preorder through AT&T for the first time ever. Can anyone who has experience preordering through AT&T post some tips for first timers? I can complete an Apple preorder within seconds, but I'm blind when it comes to preordering via AT&T.

Does their site go down before launch, like Apple's? Is there a specific URL we should be hammering or does it appear on the main page? Is it better to log in before preorders begin or start at the home page?

Any and all tips would be much appreciated. I haven't failed on getting an iPhone on launch day since the original, and it would be a shame to kill a tradition due to having to preorder through AT&T. I may go ahead and upgrade my second line via Apple as a backup.

2. Chacocliff macrumors regular

You can order the Next plans on AT&T thru the Apple website.

3. aka777 macrumors 6502a

Here is a tip, pick a new carrier, especially in NYC, where AT&T sucks.

4. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

There is a link to go to but it's usually just updated on the front of their homepage. The site does go down and IIRC, sometimes their website will work at random times not 3AM EST on the dot. I remember not being able to access the link until after about 10 minutes of refreshing.

5. patrickpiteo macrumors member

best tip .. order through Apple with the NEXT plan..

6. af21187 macrumors 6502

He said in his first few words "Due to NEXT being the only option via Apple". That means he is probably on a legacy plan.

OP, ATT will have a countdown page. Plug the normal phone purchase link into the address bar 2-3 minutes before the countdown timer expires:

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/smartphones.html

They will have already updated the website with the 6S and you will be able to place your order before the timer expires. Make sure youre already logged in ahead of time, and practice the ordering process with another phone so you can blow through it.

Done this for the 5 and 6 and worked like a charm, release day delivery with no website lag. My order is always placed 1-2 minutes before the actual go-live.

7. TechnicallyTee macrumors demi-god

TechnicallyTee

Yeah there will be a link with a splash screen telling to you wait or either it has a countdown timer, I can't remember. I remember when I "attempted" to use it for the 6 launch and failed. That site is so trash.

8. Chacocliff macrumors regular

I talked to a rep earlier, because I wanted to do the Next plan with the down payment, but Apple does not show that as an option. AT&T said that you can switch the plans within the first 30 days to a different Next plan. So when I sell my current phone, I can use that towards the down payment and lower my monthly payments.

9. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I could be wrong (have been before) but I feel like I ordered just a few minutes prior to the official time last year. The site opened a little early, I ordered and was done. Checking online it was hammered a few minutes after the hour. I received my 6 plus on launch day fortunately. Half the fun of getting new phones is the order process and seeing how you do with the issues getting the order placed early. A hassle for many but I get all fired up for it and see if I can be in the first group. Bummed when I'm not.

10. Cryates macrumors 6502a

So did you use your phone to purchase it, or through a computer? This is my first time ordering through AT&T.

11. Cryates macrumors 6502a

12. TechnicallyTee macrumors demi-god

TechnicallyTee

Yeah there was a good amount of people that were able to get through the AT&T site before the rush came and was able to get the shipment during the first batch.

13. ricktat macrumors 65816

Keep in mind that you are only competing with AT&T website customers and not all Apple customers. For the 5S AT&T had no gold phones on launch day. For the Iphone 6 they overcompensated on the GOLD and had way too many. So this year will hopefully be normal stock.

From my understanding the online store, company retail stores, and non company stores all have a separate supply chain. So if you have an issue ordering online or its calling for a later delivery date... Go to an AT&T company owned store tomorrow morning and you might get a different response. You could cancel your online order if needed. Do not go to any AT&T store that says "Authorized Retailer" on the sign. They are not company stores and you would have better luck at Best Buy.

14. Cryates macrumors 6502a

It really never changes from year-to-year...people get on a few minutes before and have a ton of success...other people can't get to the computer, or wake up in time, and are like 20-30 minutes late. Those are the ones who get on the message board and whine.

15. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

There's no down payment in regards to the Next plan. You'll pay the sales tax & the only option is to pay off the remaining payments..

16. Chacocliff macrumors regular

They do have an option now to do a down payment. It is only a few months old, but it decreases your monthly payments when you use that option.

17. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

I've never knew this. I just checked the AT&T FAQs... says its for "qualified" buyers. Yet, the 0 down payment is for "well-qualified" buyers. Interesting wording.

18. Nikos thread starter macrumors 68000

Nikos

This is exactly what I want to do. I want to order via Apple, then make the down payment to reduce monthly device costs. I was told by AT&T (via web chat) that it's not possible to make the down payment later.

If I can do this within 30 days, I will order via Apple instead. Perhaps I should call to get more clarity since we have conflicting reports.

EDIT: Calling now. Will post an update soon.

19. Nikos thread starter macrumors 68000

Nikos

The AT&T rep I just spoke to said that the down payment needs to be made during the initial transaction. He didn't really sound too sure though. Maybe I should call back.

20. forecheck macrumors newbie

Do ATT shipments require signatures like Apple?

21. Chacocliff macrumors regular

22. ricktat macrumors 65816

The down payment version was designed for people with less than perfect credit. It is very useful for trade in customers or just those of us who want to see a lower monthly payment. So ATT designed it for one use but it's helpful for others.

23. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

@Chacocliff

The ordering thru Apple with the Next plan then switching back to a new Next Plan with a down payment.. is kind of confusing.

I think it's best to... order thru AT&T and make sure you get the plan your seeking.

24. Chacocliff macrumors regular

The only reason I am doing that is because Apple doesn't offer the down payment option thru the app, and also when I sell my current phone, I would like to use that money towards paying off the new phone quicker.

25. Nikos thread starter macrumors 68000

Nikos

I just called again. This rep said it's possible, but he also didn't seem to understand what I was asking so it's sort of a crapshoot at this point. I'm not sure I want to call again.