Tired of iPad yet?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by johndallas999, Jul 7, 2011.

1. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

For those of you have have an iPad 2, do you still use it as much as the first couple of weeks when you bought it? Has some of the newness worn off? I know typically the excitement of something cool and new can only last so long but do you guys still find it as fun to use or after a few months or has it lost some of it's luster and only gets used on occasion?

2. Pracht macrumors member

I've found that it has fallen in line well as part of my daily routine.

I probably don't play with it all evening as much, but when I'm off to Starbucks in the morning it's coming along to read the paper / rss feeds without a thought.

Also I've gotten much more into reading books through iBooks, usually to help fall asleep or after a long day of work.

It's not my "new toy" anymore, just part of my world, as if it always has been.

3. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Just my personal experience but.. yes my usage has definitely declined.

However I am excited about the new jailbreak since I really want to try out "BTstack mouse" to see if it adds some efficiency in my typical usage of internet and word processing.

4. anthonyrp macrumors member

nope just tired of all these rumors about a new one is coming in september

5. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Well, I just purchased an ATV2 so the iPad is like a "new toy" all over again! :D

6. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68030

OldSchoolMacGuy

Of course it's going to drop off a bit. Any new toy is only new for so long. Think about how much you use any new consumer electronic device at first compared to a couple months later. That being the case, I still use mine frequently and find it a very useful addition to my electronic collection.

7. johndallas999 thread starter macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Yeah, I guess the point of my question was more, once the newness has worn off do you still think it was a usefull purchase or is it only ocassionally used.

8. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I had iPad 1 and now have iPad 2, and my usage is just as much maybe even more as when I first bought iPad 1.

9. poloponies macrumors 68030

I own an earlier-generation MBA that was my go-to machine (in addition to my MBP which is primarily a work computer) before the iPad. I can't recall the last time I used the MBA - and I don't even remember where I saw it last. My iPad gets between 2 and 3 hours of use a day - every day. My wife uses hers even more. Treat it like a toy and it will remain a toy, appreciate its uses and it will be indispensable.

10. Jumpman2033 macrumors regular

I find myself rarely using my desktop computer anymore. Once i buy a wifi printer compatible with the ipad, i will use the desktop that much less.

I am very excited to use the ipad 2 w/ DirecTV's Sunday Ticket-to-go app.

11. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I definitely use it much less than I used to.

While I am working? No.
    Going out for a coffee or on the train. Sure… or make that a maybe.
    Checking train delays — or just the quickest route. Yup.
    Evenings? Sure it is handy now and again to check up something while lounging about making dinner etc.
    In bed? Nope. Unless I can't sleep and then it is better than reading a book for which I'd need to turn on the light and disturb my hubby. :)

Still… it fills those idle moments.
    But not as much as I thought it would.

12. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

I find I am using mine more every week. My laptop is getting lonely.

Not even close to tired of the iPad.

13. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

I still use my iPad extensively. The killer app is Flipboard and Youtube. That said, the Youtube app on iPad is simply not great.

14. c14nhl macrumors 6502

c14nhl

My MacBook Pro died not long after I got my iPad 2, so I've been using this as my main computer.

Now to be fair, I'm no hardcore user. But because of this, the iPad 2 has been able to handle all my needs. So I certainly use mine as much, if not more than when I first got it.

15. johndallas999 thread starter macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Great responses so far! 90% of what I do on my laptop I could do on an iPad so I could see how it would replace a laptop for most uses.

16. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I have had a baby since buying it, and I use it constantly to keep myself occupied during never-ending feedings. Before the baby, I was using it a lot for work and for to do type stuff.

17. HE15MAN macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

I still use my iPad v.1 which I bought two weeks after release at least an hour a day.

18. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

Nope, I've used an iPad for about 15 months now and I use it as much now as I did in the beginning. That is to say pretty much every day.

19. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

My iPad usage has INcreased over the last few months. It's with me 24 hours a day, and has eliminated my need for a laptop; in fact I sold my laptop shortly after getting my iPad 2 and haven't missed it yet. I wasn't doing any heavy lifting on my laptop, and for the rare occasion that I need to, I still have a machine at home that serves that purpose (maybe once a year tops).

I have also been re-reading some old books lately, but have been reading them on my iPad. We are trying to sell our house and completely removed an entire bookcase full of books and magazines to reduce clutter. Another thing I haven't missed yet. Yes, I have to pay for the books, but I only get through about one every 1 or 2 months and it's one less thing I don't have to carry in my backpack.

My Xbox 360 and PS3 usage have gone down dramatically. I'm gaming a lot on my iPad lately. Nuff said.

One more thing: as a chord cutter, I find the iPad to be terrific. I use Hulu Plus and Netflix on my Roku box, and have both apps on my iPad as well. Because of this, I'm doing more of my TV viewing in bed. It eliminates the problem of me falling asleep in front of the TV and then waking up and going up to bed. Instead, I put the iPad down when I get tired, and I get more uninterrupted sleep at night.

Because my iPad (and to a lesser extent, my iPhone) have freed me up to do more things away from where I usually do them, I find my usage increasing all the time. Now that I've learned all the ins and outs of GarageBand, I will be on it even more.

20. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If you love racing games, you will not put down your iPad.

21. patp Guest

not tired of the iPad. still use it everyday.

I am tired of threads of these threads.

22. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Unfortunately, I still use it as much as when I first bought it. That means I use it way too much.

Love my iPad 2.

23. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

I really enjoy my iPad2 but have only had it a short time. My main question is how does one get comfortable with the iPad away from a table or desk?

I have the magnetic cover that works as a stand on a flat surface, but that doesn't seem very functional away from a flat surface, especially with the iPad in my lap. I'm finding the need for a pillow or something to prop up the iPad. Is there a secret to this that I'm missing?

Otherwise, the iPad has pretty well replaced my laptop. Still use my desktop PC, though, but not as much. Also, I really enjoy being mobile with the iPad. No longer stuck away in my home office when on a computer.

24. boltsfan71 macrumors newbie

25. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

There is a variety of "lap desks" that can serve the purpose. For a more innovative solution you might consider the option below.

http://joby.com/store/gorillamobile/yogi-2