Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Apple Watch Edition with titanium for the Series 6 is currently entirely unavailable for purchase on Apple's online store, following some models being unavailable for delivery or pick-up earlier this month.

titaniumapplewatchmodels.jpg

On August 1, select models of the Series 6 Edition with titanium were unavailable for delivery and/or pick-up. Now, all titanium models are unavailable for delivery or pick-up and can't even be added to Apple's online store bag.

The unavailability comes just weeks ahead of when we expect Apple to announce the Apple Watch Series 7 with a new design. Bloomberg's Mark Gurman has speculated that the spotty lack of availability for the Apple Watch Edition earlier this month could entail Apple deciding to discontinue the higher-end lineup with the Series 7.

We've contacted Apple for comment and will let MacRumors' readers know if we hear back.

Article Link: Titanium Apple Watch Series 6 Models Now Entirely Unavailable

CYB3RBYTE

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2014
Midwest
This would be sad. I had a titanium series 5, and I liked the finish. However if they don't sell well enough to make the production worth it, then I understand. Ceramic would be nice to see a comeback on the next watch.

klky

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2015
Titanium models are still available to order on Apple’s Hong Kong website.

TTTedP

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2017
"Bloomberg's Mark Gurman has speculated that the spotty lack of availability for the Apple Watch Edition earlier this month could entail Apple deciding to discontinue the higher-end lineup with the Series 7"

Why does this guy get air? Its pretty obvious they are winding down production because a new case shape is coming out. It's temporary Gurman you twit. Stop with the FUD.

bodivine

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2010
Chicago
I tried series 5, believe it or not it the charger right under the phone began smoking and caught fire, I grabbed it reflexively and burned my finger. Sent it back only to get a shabby recycled watch that was not cleaned properly. Irked me. Returned it and bought a Series 6. I wasn't impressed. I ended up getting a $35 watch on Amazon and it even does blood pressure checks which I needed more than the unimpressive EKG and the phone connect features. I still keep looking to see if anything catches my fancy.

• Haha
Reactions: SFjohn and PSeg90

mannyvel

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2019
Hillsboro, OR
For how much longer? It’s not a classic timeless timepiece. It will be scrap sooner than later unless Apple collectors start chasing them.
It doesn't matter.

Really, just met someone the other day and we got talking about Apple Watches. He had just picked up an 80k patek, but wears his AW5 as his daily driver.

Not everything is "an investment." Although from an investment point of view Men's watches in general seem to be a better investment than Women's watches.

deeddawg

macrumors G4
Jun 14, 2010
US
Not enough people buying them? Discontinued? Prepping for the next model?
If there's a case design change as rumored, they'd at some point cease manufacturing the old style cases.

The titanium edition, being lower volume sales, could likely go out of stock sooner than other models.

Such a situation would have no bearing on whether or not a titanium case would be released in the new case design.

Reactions: gabino1962

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
It doesn't matter.

Really, just met someone the other day and we got talking about Apple Watches. He had just picked up an 80k patek, but wears his AW5 as his daily driver.

Not everything is "an investment." Although from an investment point of view Men's watches in general seem to be a better investment than Women's watches.
I don’t view any watches as investments. I just expect them to last a long time. I have a clock (Chelsea Ship’s Bell) that I inherited from my grandfather. It was built in the 1960s. I wind it up once a week to keep it going. No batteries to fail and swell up, no slowing down with software updates, etc. Idk what it’s worth, but it surely isn’t worth what a brand new one goes for these days. It’s sentimental, so it doesn’t matter to me.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
It is when you consider that it's designed to replace traditional watches. Which will last decades when properly maintained.
Traditional watches don't add compelling new features every few years.

Were it not for addition of cell phone and EKG, I'd not have upgraded my Watch 0 to a 4. (Breaking and drowning it aside...but any traditional watch can break as well. They don't even keep time constant to within 50ms.)

Were it not for predicted addition of non-invasive always-on blood sugar monitoring, I'd not consider upgrading my Watch 4 to a 7. (Not diabetic, just intensely curious about continuous painless monitoring vs diet vs health.)

Insofar as I paid minimum for the Watch 0 (aluminum & glass case), and that breakage of that persuaded me to pay more for the tougher Watch 4 (stainless steel & sapphire case), and that I've been very happy with both, expect I'll get the titanium version of the Watch 7.

All of which, together, cost on par with a traditional "nice" watch I'd otherwise have gotten - and which would only tell time (poorly).

And, finally, the Watch 6 Edition Titanium Leather model costs ... $899. That's $1/day for 2.5 years. The two earlier Watches I've had, including cell service, have cost me $0.71/day. As massively useful as an Apple Watch is (say, vs a traditional watch), that's cheap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.