Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
Set up UPS MyChoice or the similar Fedex service and redirect the shipment to a UPS store or similar for pickup. Fedex uses their Kinkos stores and now Walgreens too.

Store pickup seems to disappear when stuff is backordered. Watch istocknow.com for local stocks to start filtering in and when you see an apple store with stock you should be able to place an order for in-stock pickup that day.
istocknow is the best. I didn't see the series 5 up there yet. hopefully they have that up on 9/20

The mychoice or fedex redirect never seems to work for me..

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Weird. Both services work fine for me. I use it regularly on anything valuable, as I have a UPS store just a mile away from home. Kinkos is a bit further out of the way, so I was pleased to see Fedex partner up with Walgreens.

uttrekr

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Athens, TX
I'd recommend you start checking iStockNow.com for in-store stock once we hit launch day. I'm sure there'll be a thread for it as well. In past years although Apple might have long waits for delivery, they also would regularly ship stock to stores -- so you could order for delivery then if you find one in-store order it for pickup while cancelling your delivery order.
Thanks for the advice! I actually live over an hour away from an Apple Store but will be taking a business trip this weekend.
I’m hoping to at least see the thing in person. I’m starting to have some doubts about the whole thing though now that its coming out that there is no processor bump. Apparently the S5 has the same CPU/GPU that the S4 does. That would mean that they are completely relying on the new screen tech to keep the battery up with always on. It also probably means that the Series 4 will be on par for OS updates. For me the upgrade is starting to hinge on just how good that Titanium looks.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Thanks for the advice! I actually live over an hour away from an Apple Store but will be taking a business trip this weekend.
I’m hoping to at least see the thing in person. I’m starting to have some doubts about the whole thing though now that its coming out that there is no processor bump. Apparently the S5 has the same CPU/GPU that the S4 does. That would mean that they are completely relying on the new screen tech to keep the battery up with always on. It also probably means that the Series 4 will be on par for OS updates. For me the upgrade is starting to hinge on just how good that Titanium looks.

Don’t blame you. I cancelled my order hearing that S5 was the same performance wise. I’d rather wait til S6 since it’s likely we’ll see permanent gains next year. What’s up in the air is whether titanium will be a thing next year.

The S5 (chip) is already a year old before you put it on.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Apparently the S5 has the same CPU/GPU that the S4 does. That would mean that they are completely relying on the new screen tech to keep the battery up with always on. It also probably means that the Series 4 will be on par for OS updates. For me the upgrade is starting to hinge on just how good that Titanium looks.

I saw the article about what someone gleened from xcode. I'm not sure what they found precludes Apple from having made power efficiency improvements in some manner that didn't change the CPU in the view of a compiler, say a 7nm process vs 10nm process (which could also be why they were able to bump the memory to 32GB from 16GB?).

Yes, the lack of a cpu speed increase reduces the incentive to upgrade for folks who are sensitive to CPU capabilities -- the AW is starting to mature and see more incremental year-by-year improvements. We saw similar with the iphones - first few years each new generation was a no-brainer upgrade then it slowed to 2-3 year upgrade cycles.

Soba1

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
I would be interested in the scratch resistance if the titanium casing especially the silver one.
The silver one looks really nice. Tempting very tempting

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
istocknow is the best. I didn't see the series 5 up there yet. hopefully they have that up on 9/20

Yeah, FedEx’s system seems broken at times. But to advocate what you said, iStocknow is the most accurate with Available stock almost immediately. They were clutch last year with the Series 4 crazy ordering.

Reactions: techno-Zen

AJ44

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2019
Looks like for online orders the Black is now mid-Nov and the regular early October.

Wonder if demand for the black is higher or Apple built more of the regular.

Soba1

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
Guess I'm going to have to walk into the store and look.............

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Wonder if demand for the black is higher or Apple built more of the regular.

All we can truly say with any confidence is that demand for the black Ti appears to be higher than Apple anticipated. No way to know right now what sort of ratio they expected sales to be and thus prepared for -- might have been 1:2, 1:1, 2:1, or anything else.

Soba1

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
The only reason I am considering upgrading or getting another watch is because I do want a black one. I was considering the SBSS series 4 as it would be cheaper. But the titanium has me strongly considering upgrading. The silver ti is very enticing

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
My point is that there's a special kind of OCD that seems to be prevalent with tech buyers, and we're going to drive ourselves crazy worrying about it on a wrist-worn device. I remember everyone stressing out about getting little micro scratches all over the chrome bezel of the iPhone 3G, and I didn't get that, either. It's like the guy who buys a brand new Jeep and then worries about taking it off-road, because he may scratch the paint. :confused:

Can you drop the ridiculous exaggeration and deeply offensive slurs, and make a reasonable point instead?

OCD is a life destroying mental condition and it is seriously immature and callous to use it flippantly as you are.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
Can you drop the ridiculous exaggeration and deeply offensive slurs, and make a reasonable point instead?

OCD is a life destroying mental condition and it is seriously immature and callous to use it flippantly as you are.

Douglas, I like you, I have seen many of your posts, and we are very similar in a lot of ways. The use of the term OCD in his context is not earth shattering sending those suffering from it spiraling out of control into and abyss they will never be able to climb out of because of the way the term was used here.

As a society, people are getting WAY too easily offended, and it is not going to help anybody walking around in this world looking for ways they could crawl into a ball because somebody looked at them or spoke with them the wrong way. If you suffer from it, I really hope whatever help you are receiving helps, but sometimes we need to stop for a second and make fun of ourselves. It makes for a happier person.
[automerge]1568916177[/automerge]
I am wondering if Apple Stores will be carrying the Black Titanium in Stock. Worse case, I hope they have one to look at to let me know if I am going to wait for my order to arrive, or cancel and go with the Space Black Stainless Steel that I have been using from the beginning. The only thing that will matter is how it looks on the Space Black Bracelet I have had since series 0

Soba1

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
Douglas, I like you, I have seen many of your posts, and we are very similar in a lot of ways. The use of the term OCD in his context is not earth shattering sending those suffering from it spiraling out of control into and abyss they will never be able to climb out of because of the way the term was used here.

As a society, people are getting WAY too easily offended, and it is not going to help anybody walking around in this world looking for ways they could crawl into a ball because somebody looked at them or spoke with them the wrong way. If you suffer from it, I really hope whatever help you are receiving helps, but sometimes we need to stop for a second and make fun of ourselves. It makes for a happier person.
[automerge]1568916177[/automerge]
I am wondering if Apple Stores will be carrying the Black Titanium in Stock. Worse case, I hope they have one to look at to let me know if I am going to wait for my order to arrive, or cancel and go with the Space Black Stainless Steel that I have been using from the beginning. The only thing that will matter is how it looks on the Space Black Bracelet I have had since series 0

If you are going to label me it's CDO please keep it in order...................... :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: deeddawg

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
This guy posted an unboxing of the titanium. He was very complimentary about the watch and it looks terrific. At 2.20 when he held it up against a space grey aluminium, the materials looked the same apart from the darker shading on the aluminium

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: diamornte

Soba1

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
This guy posted an unboxing of the titanium. He was very complimentary about the watch and it looks terrific but at 2.20 when he held it up against a space grey aluminium, the materials looked the same apart from the darker shading on the aluminium

Its definitely the lighting that makes it look that way

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I switched from SG aluminum to SBSS last year and so far not a single pretty girl has thrown herself at me because of my watch casing material.

I'm pretty sure none will do so with a titanium either.

(edit: I did still order the titanium model in black and expect to receive it tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see it side by side with my SBSS.)

Last edited:

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
This guy posted an unboxing of the titanium. He was very complimentary about the watch and it looks terrific. At 2.20 when he held it up against a space grey aluminium, the materials looked the same apart from the darker shading on the aluminium

You can polish a turd to make it look nice, but it’s still a turd.

I’m getting titanium for it’s durability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.