TITANIUM IPHONE 4 (iPhone 4 Titanium Back Cover)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by customtitanium, Aug 30, 2011.

1. customtitanium macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I have seen so many threads out there regarding Titanium iphone 4 and some Titanium iphone 4 backs covers, but never seen one that is made of Titanium and one that maintains the simple representation of apple's original minimalistic design concept. So I tried to make my own back, just to see what the phone would look like.

This is not for sale, and it's just my own little project just to realize my dream iphone (at least before the iphone 5 comes out, anyway). I was able to get some blank titanium back from the folks at mas design (www.maselements.com), which some viewers commented on from previous forum posting. They had some interesting original designs, but they don't do apple logos, due to copyright issues. But they were kind enough to provide me with some blanks with the Ti symbol on the bottom. Then I went ahead and had this engraved on my own. I made it with the matching sandblast surface, matching the external antenna.

What do you thinks? Personally, I think if apple made an actual Titanium iPhone 4, it would look very close to this :)

The phone also feels more solid than it did with the original glass cover. (around 8-9 grams heavier)

Just want to hear opinions from fellow iphone fans! How does this look to you guys?

[​IMG]

2. neo-cd macrumors newbie

neo-cd

3. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

I would like it a lot more if it was on my iPhone! :D

4. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Would this be a stick on type or an actual backplate that replaces the original backplate on the iPhone 4? I think it looks really nice however I'm not much on the stick-on type back covers. I prefer the OEM style backplates myself.

5. der-kaiser macrumors 6502

6. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

7. ABCDEFGHIJKLMAO macrumors member

looks good. price is pretty high just to change back plate!

8. customtitanium thread starter macrumors newbie

This is an actual replacement back plate, not a sticker. I hate those. It is pretty pricey but worth it in my opinion. It's hard to tell unless you touch it in person, it's rock solid :) Titanium is expensive on its own, and anything custom is expensive.....try to have someone machine this for you along with all the finishing.....it will cost you more than $150.....so I can't complain.

9. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Don't be surprised if Apple comes over, and rips it out of your hands.

Followed by the lawsuit for copying the Apple logo. :eek:

10. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

11. Shadow Runner macrumors regular

That is cool and all but how is the reception now? I had bought a metal back plate from a website and noticed the cell reception took quite a hit.

12. customtitanium thread starter macrumors newbie

ha ha....yeah, I'll watch out for them. Like I said, this is what I do with my own personal phone, and it's not something being sold. Just me and ma'phone. :)

The reception is fine for me no difference. I think it depends on where you are, and how well your area signal is...talked to the vendor, and they say 2 out of 10 folks saw a difference in the reception, but the rest say that they are not affected. I am in the latter category. So if you got a regular metal back, and got a ding in reception in your area....this may not be any different in your case.... Can't say for sure.

13. scottjua macrumors newbie

14. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Damn... that's beautiful.
    Mind if we asked (roughly) what it cost you?

15. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Looks very good. It also looks like it would match better with the current Apple products (such as MacBook Pro, iPad 2, etc.)

16. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Epic looking however I don't think we can expect this for a while... also what would the approx. cost be?

17. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Looks pretty decent. Sounds like you are trying to advertise and sell it on the forum though. Boo.

18. customtitanium thread starter macrumors newbie

Ha ha....no no, no advertisement here, just showing off :) So please, no private messages, because I am not selling these. I bought this for $77....pricey but the quality is warranted, and I had a friend of mine engrave it for me for free, so I lucked out there. I just wish that future iphone will have something that look like this, though.

19. iGobbleoff macrumors member

it might be a moot point, but does it interfere with the reception at all?

20. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

When I used a metal back I found it did interfere with reception. However my metal back was a cheap 2 dollar one of eBay and not a better quality one like the OP's.

21. elfy macrumors 6502

Ummm...the clue's there if you actually read it.

22. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray