Tmobile Data Plan Mandatory Change for Iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by boleiro, Jul 14, 2009.

1. boleiro macrumors newbie

Anyone else using their iphone on Tmobile wake up this morning to find that their data plan is has been removed from their service? I did, and after calling the number provided I found out that Tmobile is now making iphone users use the data plan specific for smart phones. Makes sense, but I didn't get any notice before termination of my data plan. And... the termination of my data plan happened mid billing cycle? Anyone else getting this?

2. coolerdrink macrumors newbie

Hi, there.
    I also have the same problem:mad: today. I have used Tmobile voice plan + its $9.99 unlimited web for phones. I used the edge speed internet on my unlocked nokia smartphones for over 3 months.
    I suspect t-mo just put some meters or software in their system to block us to use it on iphone 2G or other unlocked smartphones.
    Unluckily, my nokia has wifi, I can still use my office and home wifi signals.

No way, I won't pay $25 for email or web on my non 3G phones.
    Now T-mo becomes another US wireless provider.:mad:

If anyone knows the workaround on this issue, let us know here!

------quote: ---------------
    Anyone else using their iphone on Tmobile wake up this morning to find that their data plan is has been removed from their service? I did, and after calling the number provided I found out that Tmobile is now making iphone users use the data plan specific for smart phones. Makes sense, but I didn't get any notice before termination of my data plan. And... the termination of my data plan happened mid billing cycle? Anyone else getting this?
    ---end--------

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I have the T-Zones for $5.99 and I just checked online, and mine hasn't changed, and is working just fine. Mine is grandfathered, so that might make a difference. :D

4. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

If this is true will be dumb on t-mobs end. Less reason to switch to them now

5. coolerdrink macrumors newbie

I removed T-Mo sim card from my smartphone.
    Find a old motorola razr V3 phone to test it.
    The result is I can use the stupid T-zones web.

I now log on to my T-Mo account on my desktop computer.
    In my service page, I still have "Unlimited Web for phones" $9.99
    Description: Stay connected when you are on the move, with Web access on your phone or your T-Mobile phone.

Hey, jmann. Do you use iphone 2G edge data ?
    Can you post here again tomorrow to let us know whether your T-mo data service still works for your iphone or smartphone?
    thanks!

6. Eternal 28 macrumors 6502

Mine is still working I'm on the $5.99 T-mobile web data plan.

7. jaredririe20 macrumors member

I just added the Web2Go service to my iPhone 3G two weeks ago. Today I noticed I did not have edge so I opened Safari and it says:

"To connect to the internet with the device you are using, you'll need a webConnect data plan."

Hopefully there is a workaround for this, because $10/month is all I will pay.

8. coolerdrink macrumors newbie

Exactly, I won't pay more than 10 buck for 2G edge service on my phone which doesn't have T-Mo 3G band on it.

If I have to pay 3G on my 2G phone, I will switch to AT&T and get iphone 3Gs.
    T-Mo now thinks its tactic can force ppl to switch to its new 3G phone, esp... the HTC magic.
    Its tactic will work against them.

9. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

I use iPhone 3G edge data. It continues to work as normal.

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

There is no "pay 3G" or "pay 2G".

The price of unlimited smartphone data doesn't differentiate based on the speed. For example, the data plan for an EDGE-only Dash doesn't cost any less than the Dash 3G.

T-Mobile is no different than AT&T, Sprint or Verizon in that regard.

11. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

mines working fine with sidekick dollar-a-day plan. I on pre-pay maybe thats why?

12. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

$25 is nearly the cost of the iPhone 3G S data plan. So yes he is pretty much paying the 3G price.

13. emuer macrumors newbie

I guess T-Mobile got some way to detect the kind of phone that is using the data plan. Are there any apps that can fake the identify of a phone to possibly resolve this issue?

I think a lot of ppl are thinking of switching to AT&T now since it is just $5 more and it is 3G.

14. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Yes, a carrier knows what kind of phone you're using by its IMEI. Once upon a time there were iPhone IMEI change instructions using Ziphone but I have no idea if those even work anymore.

15. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

I have a 2G phone with the $5.99 plan and it is still working. I hope it doesnt stop working :(

16. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

This is a bad blow to iPhone users looking for a way out.

17. samcraig macrumors P6

Don't you just hate it when a company tries to protect themselves and their network? LOL

18. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

So far, no one else here has a problem with their data plan.

I just checked my account online and verified by calling T-Mobile. I still have the $9.99 web2go data plan on my iPhone, and nothing has been changed or will be changed.

Maybe someone canceled the data plan on your iPhone? Try setting it up again.

19. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Realize that IMEI spoofing is highly illegal.

20. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

True, but in the case of T-Mobile recognizing your IMEI, it's different.

All cell phones send out a IMEI number that identifies the type of phone.

Obviously if you have an iPhone, your IMEI will indicate it. In the T-Mobile database, I've heard that it doesn't show up as an iPhone, but as an unknown mobile device to the T-Mobile network. Generally, T-Mobile employees have been told to recognize that as an unlocked/jailbroken phone for the T-Mobile service, which is usually an iPhone, due to the benefits of a jailbroken iPhone on the T-Mobile network.

The IMEI doesn't tell T-Mobile that it's an iPhone per se, but it gives them a pretty good idea. Which can lead to them trying to get you onto the more expensive data plan.

21. TheNewsPaperBoy macrumors regular

TheNewsPaperBoy

All you guys just do what we tell are ATT customers with unlocked phones. Get a standard phone like a razr etc, and put that IMEI on your account not your iphones. Put on your feature and you'll be good to go.

22. samcraig macrumors P6

And how does THAT solve the IMEI issue if people turn on their iPhones with the SIM and make a call? The network is going to see the IMEI. That's the point.

23. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

hes right. I just went to my.tmobile and changed my plan to sidekick and changed the kind of phone to sidekick as well. That was a month ago and nothing has changed. they just think my phone is an unlocked sidekick not an iphone. the point is tmobile does NOT know what phone you use specifically as the iphone IMEI's are not in their database, they can only guess and if you tell them you're using an u locked sidekick, well thats that

24. samcraig macrumors P6

...in your case

...at this moment in time

25. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

we'll see