to all iPhone 4 reception DOUBTERS:

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by oplix, Jul 1, 2010.

1. oplix Suspended

oplix

To all of you who think that this reception problem is a figment of people's imagination I welcome you to do a simple test. If you feel like you want to actually PROVE that this problem doesn't exist with your phone, please go ahead and post a video of the following:

1. Download Speedtest.net app for FREE from the app store.

2. Turn WIFI off.

3. Run said app WHILE holding your hand on the lower left bottom of the screen.

4. Be amazed as you have no data connection. (doesn't matter if you have bars).

2. sectime macrumors 6502a

Don't confuse doubting with don't give a crap. So many threads about this why do you feel special??

3. tritonj macrumors 6502a

i really don't think anyone doubts that some users are experiencing problems, but there are also a lot of people who have no problems at all with reception, and really at this point there is no value in bringing it up, on the forum in a new thread. if you have a problem then return the phone if you don't want to wait for a fix don't think the fix will work.

otherwise learn to live with it, but whining about it or trying to bash those who don't share you problem isn't going to fix anything for you.

4. oplix thread starter Suspended

oplix

You are right. It's better to just be oblivious.

5. big0mar macrumors regular

My iPhone was unaffected when conducting your experiment. My apologies. :rolleyes:

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Sorry, but no difference.

7. oplix thread starter Suspended

oplix

The fix is a case. Doesn't mean that the problem doesn't exist. Stop trolling.

8. oplix thread starter Suspended

oplix

Post a video to prove it.

9. stlredbird macrumors 6502

stlredbird

It's funny you mention this b/c I actually tried this last night. Held the bottom of my phone and the bars dropped to 1 bar, I ran the test with just 3G and no wifi and I had right around the same DL and UL score as I did with full bars, all much better than I ever did on my old iPhone 3G. I ran the test 5 times while holding it and only getting 1 bar and 5 times while holding it normally and having full bars and I had the same strong 3G internet for all 10 tests.

10. big0mar macrumors regular

I don't see how spending my time to do that would benefit me at all.

11. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

I lose two bars but I can still call people and download stuff fine. I haven't tried a speed test, but I don't see a need to because it works regardless.

12. stlredbird macrumors 6502

stlredbird

I'm sure you'll call me a liar now, so believe whatever you want. :rolleyes:

13. shawntkeating macrumors member

Hey. I think iv seen this before. Waaait-a-minute. doh.

14. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

+1 (it was +5 but I was holding my phone wrong so the numbers dropped)

15. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

16. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

17. hippo206 macrumors 6502

18. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

19. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

The one guy from Scotland seems to have an issue showing his iPhone on you tube attached to the first link, but I am not sure if it's an Apple problem. I would tend to think it's more related to the carrier.

When I tried the iPhone for the first time at the Apple store today, it cruised the internet pretty well no matter how I held it. Here's why I think it's the carrier and not Apple (and before someone calls me a fanboy, I am guilty of being a fanboy but a real fanboy holds Apple up to high standards, too). I would argue us fanboys are more critical of Apple when something isn't great.

I was in a town with very few hills (where the Apple store is), or section of, and very few trees. My regular AT&T-run Motorola Razr works fine there, too. Now when I go back to my hilly, wooded town next door, then my phone, and other AT&T networked phones just don't do very well.

I really think in some areas in Northern California, AT&T is just terrible. People had issues with other iPhone models in the more rural areas. Of course, the issues are dramatically reduced with Verizon jailbroken iPhones or any Verizon phone, but this is just my area. Some people in other areas of the USA seem to have better reception with AT&T, so I think this could be mostly a carrier issue.

This doesn't rule out the possibility that Apple has a bad design flaw that adds to the already bad AT&T issue and then that would mean Apple needs a small fix.

AT&T, they are far beyond a small fix in my parts. :)

I am no fan of lawsuits, especially frivolous ones, but Apple needs to at least address the people who are really having issues with iPhone 4. Now if everybody who bought an iPhone 4 had an issue with the reception being bad with holding or touching the lower part of the iPhone, then there could be merit to the current class action suit against Apple.

At worst, I see this as maybe just a less than perfect Apple design, but not a complete failure of a product. Toyota had some issues with some of their cars and then fixed them, but that doesn't mean everything the company does, or ever did, is bad. It's not a black and white thing.

20. cloudberrybrew macrumors regular

:D Same here...OP must be pretty embarrassed.

21. Jason-Houghton macrumors regular

Jason-Houghton

Can we just leave it at this please?

Even if some iPhone 4s are working fine, the ones that are not need a fix. Nothing we can do except from wait. Do we really need more threads discussing this?

22. egk69 macrumors 6502

I test it on my Bro's iPhone 4, the Speed test its the same!

so what now?

23. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

My buddy and I did just this the other night with his iP4 after reading all the posts about reception issues and this had no effect on his phone whatsoever. So either only some phones are prone to this problem or it depends largely on your signal strength/quality/frequency of the tower you're connected to.

24. Iphone4Mac macrumors member

My iphones does have reception issues, my 3g slows down and my bars disappear ...:eek::(

I just took out my sim card and put it back and turned my phone off and on but no luck, and I even have a bumper on it.. I never goto searching... just One Bar
    sucks .. all you that don't have issues are pretty lucky

25. Reluctant Adept macrumors member

I normally see a modest decrease when using the grip of death. Today? I just tried it and got 2.84Mb down, 1.43Mb up when gripped tightly in my left hand with my thumb pad bridging the two antennas. When placed flat in a hands-off position? 0.67Mb down, 0.94Mb up. I even tried it after rubbing the condensation from my drink all over my hand to see if I could lose signal. No dice. Still well over 2Mb down.

I'm not going to claim that nobody has signal issues, it's just far from the fatally-flawed product that many would want to believe. I'm happy with my purchase and will be pleasantly surprised if future firmware improves the situation further. I'll probably get a bumper when try become wideky available for use when I'm in poor service areas, but so far I haven't had real-world problems.

I'm just amazed that people are acting as if this is the first iPhone that has had dropped calls, inconsistent reception, or shattered glass incidents. These have all been reported with every single iPhone model to date. It hasn't stopped them from getting among the highest satisfaction ratings of any smartphone in existence. Wireless service is subject to interference, and mobile devices get dropped. Period.