To all the 3G battery complainers.....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anim8or, Jul 13, 2008.

1. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

Why do you NEED 3G active all of the time?

I was under the impression 3G was beneficial for when you were surfing, or something of that nature.....

NOT beneficial for phoneing, texting, listening to music, watching videos, etc!

I have planned to have 3G, GPS (Location Services) and WiFi off unless i need them, just like i do with my current 2.5G iPhone....

Can someone explain to me why the NEED 3G at all times?

No wonder you are getting low battery times!

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

3. djwobble macrumors regular

Don't mean to be rude but this is somewhat of a duplicate post... have you been reading what 3G does? Try searching the forums for 3G usage. You'll notice you would LIKE 3G for youtube, streaming music, etc... Just try to search around these forums and you will find many uses for 3g. :)

4. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

I am really interested in looking at times for these turned on/off when the iphone is just in standby mode, then I can choose what I would like to have on or off.
    At the moment when I had 3g and push on overnight when the phone was sleeping, I got up to find that the battery only had 10% left which I thought was shocking.
    Going to try and start doing some overnight tests myself but hope someone comes up with some details first :p

5. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

That and wider area of coverage in some locations

6. tomjleeds macrumors 6502

3G is a replacement for GSM, not a replacement for GPRS/EDGE. It does both voice calls and data, so yes you will benefit from 3G for voice calls.

The biggest battery drains are probably push and GPS.

7. 36183 Guest

Sorry this thread is pointless, most people are aware of how to increase the battery life of their phones, The people who are complaining clearly have defective batteries. With 3G off i got about 3 hours usage on my phone. Just face it apple messed up a batch of iPhone and shipped them with battery problems. there is no need to defend them, make out that there is no issue and try and tell user that they should be using their phones differently.

8. ooo macrumors 6502

18 hrs standby
    1:15 hr usage

Battery is probably at 90% is there way I can find out the exact number?

I'm on edge / wifi. I had it on 3g yesterday and my reception was horrible. I was only receiving 2 bars and 0 in some locations. Now I am receiving 5. I guess I'll be sticking with edge and occasionally turning on the 3g when I'm in the city and away from wifi accessible areas.

9. anim8or thread starter macrumors 65816

anim8or

I have never had any voice quality problems/complaints about my 2.5G iphone so thats why 3G for voice doesnt really cut it with me...

As for this:

Is this not covered by my previous statement;

Nobody uses these feature at all times just infrequently so again i can pose the question, WHY have it on at ALL times?

It seems like there are a lot of lazy folk who cant be bothered to go into prefs and turn stuff off!!!

10. goodcow macrumors 6502a

I didn't pay $300 for a phone with a $75 monthly plan to micromanage and babysit it like this. The battery life is garbage. Period. I may return the phone as a result and go back to Verizon, who I didn't even want to switch from in the first place, because AT&T sucks compared to Verizon.

I LOVE this phone. I HATE this battery.

Apple should update the firmware to dynamically switch between EDGE and 3G based on bandwidth need.

What's the point of a 3G phone if I have to keep it off to save battery? Let me buy a $20 EDGE with 200 SMS plan then instead. Oh wait, I can't, because AT&T is a horrible company.

11. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

Because its a 3G phone!

Why should I be forced to turn off the very function that makes the phone practical? It really doesnt make sense does it? Other manufactures have been delivering 3G phones for 2+ years, they dont require that you turn off 3G to have a reasonable battery life.

3G is important because it allows simultaneous data and voice (w/ 3G off your calls go to voicemail while you are using data- also if you are on a call and need to download an email, it wont happen)

It offers better quality voice

It offers far faster Exchange connections

Its a feature that you shouldnt have to turn on/off

12. anim8or thread starter macrumors 65816

anim8or

Good! Thats what i want to hear.

Seems like you hate AT&T more... good point about the dynamic switching though.

Does anyone have stats on similar 3G smartphones battery times....

you the ones that have mp3/mp4, full web browser, large touch screen, etc.....?????

13. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

speak for yourself...I use it all the time. w/o 3G all your calls go to voicemail while you are using data, this is the single biggest disadvantage to EDGE.

Just because you dont use your phone doesnt mean the rest of us dont.

14. anim8or thread starter macrumors 65816

anim8or

So because i dont sit on YouTube all day or surfing the web on my phone this means i dont use my phone! :rolleyes:

I thought the theory of the iPhone was to have your phone do everythingnot just calls and text, not to have a multimedia device that also has a phone!

MY iPhone replaces the need to carry a separate ipod, showreel DVDs and/or a laptop for surfing/emails... everything in 1 device, not doing everything at once!

15. 36183 Guest

I dont mean to be rude anim8or, but you're showing some serious fanboy traits. Look we get it the iPhone is a great phone no one here would have stood in a queue to buy one if they though otherwise but you really need to get over this defending it to the grave business. If people have phones with defective batteries which are lasting less than the advertised time (of 5 hours) they will almost certainly complain about it. Anyone with a defective battery should contact Apple and have theirs fixed I dont think any appreciate you telling them that its their fault that their phones battery is awful.

16. drchipinski macrumors 6502

drchipinski

Why even offer 3G then?

17. anim8or thread starter macrumors 65816

anim8or

I started this thread posing the question Why have 3G on at all times... it was directed at complainers who say that the battery life is dismal NOT those who have valid claims of defectiveness!

Point out to me where this may have been suggested and i will retract it!

As a user of MacRumors i think it is obvious that i love apple, have done for a long time now, surely you are too being here debating with me?

My point is that the 'real' complainers (those who get a decent battery life but are unhappy) post that they get low battery times when 'only using the phone for calls for an hour, maybe some light browsing, watched a episode of 'the office' listened to the iPod on the way home from work and it died!'

The phone specs clearly state 5 hours of 'Talk Time', 5 hrs of 3G web use, 7 hours video and 24 music.

These are individual, as in 5 hours ONLY talking, 5 hours ONLY surfing, etc not all combined!

It is to those out there who expect doing a little of everything should guarantee them over 5 hours that i am tired of hear complaints from.

18. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

Awww you can never make people happy. This was the main reason why apple did not create 3g because it sucks battery and it does not effectively use the battery. But most of us said to hell with that we want 3g so they created it. Its not their fault that they simply could not make the battery stretch to 6 billion hours. And we would complain if the battery was bigger and we would have a huge brick for a phone. Just get over it and shut off the 3g when not in use.

19. anim8or thread starter macrumors 65816

anim8or

why offer a touch screen! Silly question! Because its what the consumer has asked for... innovation, speed, up to date technology!

20. domcole macrumors regular

@ digitalfx

I haven't got my iPhone yet, hopfully getting it on Tuesday. So, if I have 3G turned off, and I'm on Safari via Wi-Fi and I get a call, does this mean that it will go straight to voicemail?

Any help would be appreciated.

21. anim8or thread starter macrumors 65816

anim8or

Hear Hear!

22. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

IF you on edge you can only surf the web or make a call on 3g it has two bands so you can do both. on wifi you can do both

23. goodcow macrumors 6502a

Except if you turn 3G off, you're paying $30 for data with no SMS now.

If Apple/AT&T offered an EDGE phone, or at least an EDGE/200SMS for $20 plan for the 3G phone (to keep GPS) then I'd be much less pissed.

24. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

For all the people claiming 3G has better voice quality: does it? Most people I know don't use a 3G phone. They use a crappy landline or your run-of-the-mill cell phone. Therefore, you will probably only get better voice quality when talking to someone else either on 3G or on VoIP. Kinda like if someone with FIOS tried to download something remotely off a server connected via dial-up. The crappier connection is what you'll get.

25. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

Well that was the option you took, neither att or apple put a gun to your head and said upgrade or die. Most of us understand that 3g and gps sucks the crap out of the battery. If you don't like it just return the phone and wait till technology advances, and second all phones that has 3g does the same thing battery dies quickly.