To All the people Bitchin about Pricing.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pandamonia, Jun 12, 2012.

1. pandamonia macrumors 6502a

It cost me £1950 for a 15" MBP 2.5ghz Dual core, 4gb Ram, 512mb GPU and 240GB Vertex 2 SSD, 1680x1050 Res. WITH Education discount.

This new one clocks in at £1550 with 2.3ghz QUAD core, 8gb Ram, 256gb SSD twice as fast as my Vertex 2 and a Retina IPS display (which are way more expensive than TN Panels) 1GB Keplar Nvidia GPU with DDR5. Also with the Edu Discount.

So forgive me for not understanding the people whining about pricing when the rest of the world has to also pay significant Tax included in our pricing also. ( not to mention the bull crap strong $... everyone knows the $ isn't worth the current exchange rate.)

Personally I'm grateful this new MBP doesn't cost me £2500 instead of £1550.

2. Liquinn Suspended

Oh whatever. The price is okay. I'm getting one next year with Haswell.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Is it more people in the US bitching? I thought so and in that case, while slightly more expensive, it is not exorbitant.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

People whine about the cost regardless of where they come from. Its not an American thing, its a human thing ;)

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I did not mean it that way and you know I'm American. I am saying that historically the US pricing is a bit better, no? If so, then I thought it would be more people buying from the US store. Not every comment is a comment against Americans on this site, though there are many.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That wasn't directed to you, but the OP :)

Just stating that its a human condition not restricted to nationality

7. omgitswes Guest

oh goodness....my thing is you can get more for around the same price, it just doesn't have OSX and Apple knows that so they can charge whatever they want and not have to worry about competition. Because if you want to use OSX you have to buy their machines.

This will be my first Mac product and looking at the specs and then the price it doesn't sit well with me at all. But like I mentioned earlier, I need to use OSX mainly because of the career field I'm pursuing. I have tons of experience with Windows and Linux but none in OSX. And the fact that a base model 15" laptop costs more than my gaming rig I built two years ago and has wayyy better specs rubs me the wrong way. I'm not expecting a laptop to compete with a desktop, but I would still like more for my money.

I can bitch and moan all I want, and I'll still end up buying the machine anyway so it doesn't even matter. It's just frustrating

8. WHM macrumors regular

My first Apple laptop in the mid 1990's I paid around $4,500 and it was nothing like we're used to now. In the long haul the pirices have come down and remain low in my opinion

9. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I actually was expecting it to cost closer to $3,000 USD, so am happy

10. pandamonia thread starter macrumors 6502a

Really? SHOW ME.

I can't find a single laptop on the planet with a IPS 2880x1800 display and 2 USB 3 ports 2 TB ports and backlit keyboard. Not to mention Alum Unibody construction with a 7hr battery.

None of the above requires OSX.

You might be able to get more cpu mhz or more ram or faster GPU with more memory... But none of those things above come in a laptop as well made and as sleek as Apple MBP.

I have seen the rest of the market and most of it is junk.

11. Liquinn Suspended

I have an older PPC Mac coming later on in the week, I'd rather have an older PPC Mac than a top of the range Windows crappy laptop lol

12. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

They have a target market for these machines. If you look at their SEC filings they make ~40-50% margins on these machines. They COULD charge less but they know their customers will pay more. Plus they have stock holders to answer too along with a new board that now gets elected on voting. Keep expecting the pricing to increase. Remember, you pay for their innovation and R & D. I still think it's way overpriced but I agree on why they are charging such a premium for it.

13. pandamonia thread starter macrumors 6502a

The price technically came down.

Also 40-50% Gross margin is a lot different to the Net margin.

i expect apple to be taking a significant hit on this new machine due to the new screen costs and tooling for the new design and components. Custom SSD and other custom parts.

2 rear tyres on my car cost me £640 the other day made from Carbon and Silicon, 2 of the most abundant substances in the galaxy and will only last me a year maybe.

If you want to complain about pricing there are many other things out there which are worth of criticism.

This MBP isn't one of them

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Ah. ;)
    Now that would be absolutely insane. My first MP cost $3k. I don't think I would be able to swallow spending $3k on a laptop.

15. omgitswes Guest

I don't care about IPS and backlit keyboard on a laptop. Don't have a single TB device, and aluminum unibody means nothing to me.

What you said I can find is all I care about, everything else is nice but not vital. Faster CPU, better GPU, more storage space (HDD or SSD it doesn't matter to me) matter of fact I wouldn't want just one SSD, I'd rather have one as a boot drive and a HDD as a slave drive.

The price isn't the issue, the issue is the gimped specs alongside the price

16. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I know it would be insane, but it is definitely cheaper than I thought it would be. A Desktop with those specs (tower and monitor included) would still be about $1600

17. omgitswes Guest

:confused:
    Good for you I guess.

18. leman macrumors 604

The pricing is very good. Honestly, I am surprised that its so cheap. No other laptop manufacturer offers a computer with similar specs for less money, the HiDPI display notwithstanding.

19. Fleet would mac macrumors member

I think that the prices for the introduced machines are OK. However, if the storage is not upgradable, then for many people the machines will be effectively more expensive, because they can't buy now and expand later (at cheaper, third party prices :)). Instead, they have to buy now (at Apple storage prices :() what they think will keep them going for the next x years.

20. pandamonia, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012

pandamonia thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gimped specs? 3.7ghz turbo clock CPU? 768gb SSD @ 500mbps GPU is always Thermal limited, ever heard of physics? Thats why the 680M GTX comes in notebooks 2 inches thick usually. Also its not really a 680M at all its more like a 630 desktop powered chip.

Notebooks are Gimped full stop in the shadow of a desktop: 4,5ghz hexacore with 690 GTX make laptops look like calculators. It also comes with 2 SSD's in Raid 0 and 3TB of data storage.

Sounds to me like you need a desktop or basically a Dell.

Here YOU GO. http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/05/msi-launches-gt783-gaming-laptop-burns-through-battlefield-3-wi/

Check the spec and pricing!

21. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

agreed. For me, 256 is big enough....i got by with 128 on a desktop for over a year.

22. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Really? Do you really believe that? Have you actually looked at the pricing for yourself?

23. omgitswes Guest

And that set up is way out of my price range.

I'm not referring to the retina display MBP, I don't plan on buying that because the only model I could afford only comes with 256GB of storage.

I don't need a desktop...already have one and plan on building another once I graduate.

and If Dells had OSX I would buy one. Like I mentioned before only reason I'm even buying these is because I need experience with OSX

24. pandamonia thread starter macrumors 6502a

get the 13" MBP then its cheaper.

I really don't see your point at all.

25. omgitswes Guest

I want a 15" screen and don't want to pay near 1400 for a dual core machine

My point is that these laptops are really overpriced. And it makes sense from a business standpoint because it's their OS and if you want to use it you'll have to pay whatever they want you to pay.