To get applecare or not too

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tracetritt, Aug 2, 2008.

1. tracetritt macrumors member

Alright, so here's my situation...

SR 2.2 MBP

Based on what I have been reading, I do indeed have a computer that has a possibility for the bad GPU. I have about 20 days until my 1st year is up. I never bought Applecare in the first place because I am a computer repair tech and fix computers all the time. I always thought that I could fix it if anything (normal) came my way. However, a GPU related problem would be a little out of my hands for the sheer price factor. Do you think that Apple would still replace/repair a computer that has the defective GPU even if it were out of warranty? Like an extension for the GPU only. Very much like the batteries a couple of years ago.

Now, I'm thinking about buying Applecare only because of the GPU scare.

What do you all think??

Tyler

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'd get AppleCare, if I were you. No, I doubt Apple would be willing to repair any computer that is no longer in warranty or covered by AppleCare, unless it was a mass recall.

3. orangeillini14 macrumors regular

I was told to get it but I still haven't... I will before I go to college though.

4. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

good thing for me i still have months to worry about getting apple care.
    knee jerk response is to get it.. right?
    but aside from spilling liquids and dropping your MBP..

what else do they DON"T cover in terms of repair?
    getting first hand info from people who used apple care will be greatly appreciated..
    the Saddest thing would be to buy it, believe in it, only to be talked down by the geniuses about what is and what is not covered..

5. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Accidental damage, and batteries over 90 days old. :)

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you want the details, here is the AppleCare Protection Plan.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's like asking whether to use condoms or not. Always use protection!

Batteries is covered for 1 year or 300 cycles, whichever comes first.

8. Cadium macrumors member

I would purchase AppleCare for the peace of mind that it offers and the coverage in the event that something does happen. I have a MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz Santa Rosa and I have not had a single issue with it since I purchased it in January. :)

9. tracetritt thread starter macrumors member

lol, well said. I'll be sure to take your advice and get the Apple Care ( not to mention the other worldly advice you gave;) ) , though I was really trying to avoid getting it. As another user mention the peace of mind will be very good as well.

Thank you all for your replies!:)

Tyler

10. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Actually that is not true.

That is true but not the whole story.

Depleted batteries, meaning they aren't holding a charge as long as they used to but they are still accepting a charge and discharging, are covered for 1 year or 300 cycles. A battery that is faulty, meaning it is not accepting a full charge or discharging fully is covered for the entire life of the warranty.

That is totally true. :D

The answer to the original question is yes. Anyone who a) owns an Apple computer and b) plans to keep it for at least 14 months should own Apple Care. You'll make your money back and more if it needs to be repaired just once.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Well, since I can't find a condom big enough for my MBP, I got AppleCare instead! :D

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

BATTERIES NOT COVERED
    Neither the Apple Limited Warranty nor the AppleCare Protection Plan covers consumable parts such as batteries, except in the case of manufacturing defects.

Apple Limited Warranty:
    This warranty does not apply:
    (f) to consumable parts, such as batteries, unless damage has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship;

AppleCare Protection Plan:
    b. Limitations. The Plan does not cover:
    (ix) Consumable parts, such as batteries, except in respect of battery coverage under APP for iPod or unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials and workmanship;

13. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    I think I have some in my nightstand that might work... ;) :p

HAHAHA, I'm so funny!

14. PDE macrumors 68020

If you need tech support and hardware repairs, then yes. If you only need repairs, and that seems to be your case, I recommend checking if your credit card offers a free 1-year extension of the warranty - many do if you buy/bought the computer with the card. For VISA CC holders, there's also a "visa performance guarantee" that you can buy to extend the coverage for a total of 4 years for a good price. The VISA thing also covers battery replacement and has an explicit no lemon policy (if you need a forth repair, they replace the computer) and covers damage due to lightning. It's just as flexible in terms of where you take the computer for repair (Apple or an authorized repair center or anywhere else...)and is generally less hassle than dealing with Apple directly . Just my opinion, but it's backed up by years of experience with Applecare and VISA.

15. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Def buy it!! And save some cash, so buy it on eBay.

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Far from being "absolutely worth it" AppleCare like any other extended warranty is an investment with a substantially negative rate of return. On average you will spend far more in premiums than you get in service. I've saved thousands over the years by never buying it.

That being said, AppleCare is very profitable for Apple, so as I stockholder, I urge everyone to buy it.

17. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

18. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

i know spending on the extended warranty is a pain after shelling out all thar dough for youe MBP. But I'll get it. It's just one of those things that you gotta have.

19. raquiros macrumors member

raquiros

I have a question regarding this.... I'm still in the 1 Year Warranty and haven't purchased the 3 Year Apple Care.... my question is... if I purchase the 3 Year Apple Care close to my 1 Year Warranty expiration... will I get 3 additional years? or it will add only 2 Years because it counts the purchase date?

20. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

No, it will only last 2 years beyond the 1 year warranty.

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

If you want to voluntarily donate more of your money to Apple, be my guest! As a stockholder I fully endorse this thinking.

22. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

For laptops, AppleCare is a must. I've used it 4 times just for my white MacBook alone: battery replaced twice, LCD panel replaced, keyboard and trackpad replaced. Only cost to me was gas.

23. janey macrumors 603

janey

That's not true. I have one MacBook battery that Apple is refusing to cover despite having (the 3 year) AppleCare. The genius said the only way Apple would cover it is if it was 1 year or less from purchase of battery/laptop, but it was a few months over that.

FYI my battery was not just slightly depleted, it goes from 20% -> 0% and the battery condition in system profiler was not good. He said I should get it replaced, but that I'd have to pay for it if I wanted to.

24. raquiros macrumors member

raquiros

Is there an option after the AppleCare expires? and extended Apple Care? or that's it?

Another question... does the AppleCare only covers factory defects or let's say if I want to replace my LCD because I scratched it "hypothetically:D" they won't do it right?

25. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Nope, after three years, the game's up. Also, you are correct. ESPECIALLY about the screen. :apple: will fight you about screen issues unless you have a problem out of the box. So don't scratch it ;)