to keep incase hard case or not...hmmm

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by happle, Dec 11, 2011.

1. happle macrumors 6502a

so i just bought a perforated incase hard case for my new mbp. i figured i might as well protect my investment. but after buying it i realized that i don't really like the look, feel, or added weight. i mean its not bad, but its not great either. but at the same time i have ocd and a scratch or a dent would cause me great hatred and anxiety towards the blemish lol...

also another thing that turned me away from the hard case was that i could barely get it in my booq vyper sleeve. it was such a tight squeeze the zipper hit the case and it would probably cause the keyboard to hit the screen. so my thoughts are maybe i should just return the incase case and use the booq just when I'm carrying the mbp. my hopes are the booq sleeve will protect the mbp when carrying it and the mbp won't need protection when in use. what do you guys think?

and yes i know this thread is based off personal preference but i think some other opinions might help me seal the decision.

2. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I was looking at the speck hard case for my mac..Havent got around to getting yet, but if your ocd about it, I would keep it.

3. palpatine macrumors 68040

i have a hard case. the hard case protects it 24/7. the sleeve protects it only when it is in the sleeve. to me, the decision seems obvious.

in addition, if you use the booq bags, then they elevate the computer slightly so that when you set your backpack down it doesn't hit the floor, so there is basically no question about the computer geting harmed from everyday use.

i saw someone the other day with a horribly dented macbook pro. my heart ached to see it.

4. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

^ i am ocd but the case makes my booq sleeve practically useless :/

5. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Sell the sleeve?

6. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah but i think the booq sleeve may provide more protection than the incase hard case + a neoprene sleeve which would stretch over the hard case.

ughh lol i wish they made the mbp out of anodized titanium :) that way the bitch wouldn't dent or scratch easy at all.

7. randomrazr macrumors 65816

i use speck see thru clear plus the incase canvas sleeve and its awesome

return ur incase. i have both. really, www.youtube.com/randomrazr

made a video of both

specks hardshells are much better. better crafted and MUCH easier to take off.

i have never been a fan of the perforated hardshells. they leave ur macbook exposed to dust and debris going betwen the case and macbook potentically puting nicks in it.

return it for refund and buy a speck one if u still want hardshell

8. miker2209 macrumors regular

miker2209

I baby my MBP... ALOT. The only reason why i'm going to get the Speck case for it is so i can use it more comfortably, leave it where i want, place it on any surface and not having to worry about it too much. Because right now before i place it anywhere i have to check that the surface is clean, no liquid no debris and then place a piece of napkin under my MBP so it doesn't get hurt :D

9. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

but i think the speck weighs down the screen and is even heavier. thats why i went with the perforated case...

and i still dunno if the speck would fit in my booq case.

10. randomrazr macrumors 65816

true speck case does add a bit of weight, but not a whole lot, you'll be carrying it in a back pack or something anyyway in the sleeve.

it does add a bit of weight to the screen but its not gonna hurt it lol

if it did why would apple sell these at there store

11. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

just personally preference like when laying in bed in certain ways a case will cause the screen to move by itself. also when i have books in my bag the added weight is certainly not appreciated. my biggest quarrel is it not fitting in my booq sleeve with the case on. i wonder if the speck case is any thinner causing it to fit in the booq? i kinda doubt it though.

12. randomrazr macrumors 65816

not its not any thinner.

apple has 14 days return policy so my take is that u should try it and see if it wrks iwth ur lifestyle. if not then i guess ur gonna ahve to sport ur macbook "naked" and jsut be careful when its out of the sleeve i suppose lol.

13. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah i suppose thats the best plan...

14. thundersteele macrumors 68030

sell the Mac, buy something cheap that you don't care about ;)

I would sell the case and keep the booq sleeve. What kind of extra protection does the case offer?

15. Akack macrumors 6502a

Get the speck clear case instead, it does add a little more weight though. With the case on my mbp I no longer use a sleeve, overkill IMO.

16. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Speck hardcase plus neoprene sleeve give mbp extra protection and feel confident, worry free whenever i go out in my messager bag.

17. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

i like my booq case though. i think id rather keep that than a hard case. i just wish they made an ultra thin hard case :/

18. jekyl macrumors 6502

jekyl

My wife an I both have Speck shells on our 13" MBPs. My wife has dropped hers about half a dozen times (that I've witnessed" from either the coffee table or her lap to the carpeted floor, with no damage at all. Not saying the shell saved the Macbook, but I suspect it has. Oh, it did break a corner off the shell. So maybe it gave its life so the MBP could live on?

19. Philthy84 macrumors member

Quick question I just bought my 15" MBP and I'm ordering the Speck shell and the Booq Vyper sleeve. From what I'm reading my MBP with Speck case on won't fit inside the Booq sleeve? How about the Incase sleeve? Please let me know as I was planning on ordering it today and returning the Incase sleeve I bought at BestBuy. Thx.

20. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

My booq sleeve won't allow any case to fit in comfortably. If you must have a hardcase then I suggest you get incase neoprene sleeve which should stretch. But the booq sleeve is nicer. I'm still sort of stumped in what to do

21. randomrazr macrumors 65816

my incase canvas sleeve is nicer ;)

22. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

not imo :cool:

23. mfuchs88 macrumors 6502

Hmm, kind of a problem since it doesn't fit. I have a great caselogic sleeve and can link you to a video I made if you're interested. They're cheap and very nice and fits better than the incase deluxe sleeve I had which wouldn't zipper over ny speck hard shell.
    It's called the Caselogic PAS 215 and its a neoprene sleeve, check amazon. I love it!!

24. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

^ i was looking at that case before, but i don't really like the neoprene sleeves. i kinda like the tightly woven nylon cases. its semi hard and seems like it would provide more protection than a hard case + neoprene sleeve. neoprene will only protect against scratches and small impacts like letting go of your back pack from a few inches off the ground for instance.

25. mfuchs88 macrumors 6502

I completely agree, just didn't do enough research before I bought my case. I really like the booq case from reading the reviews and watching videos online, but just acted too soon.