To the bending naysayers...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jayson A, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Jayson A macrumors 68000

This thread is for the people who constantly think that people with bent iPhones did something drastic in order for it to bend. It's for those who constantly call these people liars and choose not to believe that they only had it in their front pocket.

What is going to happen if your iPhone bends the same way and YOU only had it in your front pocket? Are you going to say it's your fault it bent? Are you going to say that you weren't using your iPhone in a normal fashion?

If you wanna tell others your story, are you going to be okay with people calling you liars, or telling you that you shouldn't have sat on it?

Will you believe us now or would you just say "I must've been irresponsible with my iPhone"

2. Jayson A thread starter macrumors 68000

I just wanna know how they would feel if they were treated the same exact way they treat others.

3. calvy macrumors 65816

I'd get over it. This is an internet forum after all, what do I care what others think of me here?

4. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I've always believed after reading too many bending incidents and reports that there is indeed a flaw in design. Even if a phone is inserted into a jean pocket, it should withstand bending, and no one should have to treat it like it was fragile. There has to be a degree of sturdiness. All the bending is at the same spot, so there in definite consistency.

5. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

Some things are just to be kept in your own head and not to be shared, let alone start a pointless thread that I just wasted 45 seconds looking at.

Just like this comment I wrote I was better off not posting it and keeping it in my own head but this thread here seems like a good place for it:p

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Um, that's exactly what I'd want and expect. Nothing less!

7. wxman2003 Suspended

I dont abuse my phone, thus I will not bend my phone.

8. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

What you mean when my phone bends? It's not going to becuase I don't do stupid **** to my phone. :D.

*Knocks on wood*

9. stasha macrumors 6502

Im not happy with apple when they send defective iphone to people but the bending iphone is not apple fault its 100% the owner fault ,thats why i dont like thread about bent iphone,this morning there was one, and i was abit annoyed

10. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

The Bending Naysayers? Is that some kind of old NYC gang?

The Great Telephone Bending Phenomenon of 2014 is vastly smaller than the Ebola epidemic, and the world is barely doing anything about THAT.

So if you expect people to care about a tiny handful of bent iPhones, and take a "side" of all things, in some kind of imaginary war between believers and "naysayers", you need to get out more.

11. uchosen macrumors 6502

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they were. The Warriors, Turnbull AC's, Baseball Furies and... "The Bending Naysayers".

12. pdaholic macrumors 6502a

pdaholic

I had to read this thing 3 times to figure out who this thread is actually "for" and who the OP is trying to condemn.

13. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

14. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

What's gonna happen if my iPhone 6+ never bends?

15. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

People are going to complain about it.

16. tg81, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014

tg81 macrumors member

Someone will still start another thread with Bending, Bent or Bend in the title somewhere.

Of course that will happen if it bends, if it doesn't, if no-one else's bends, if everyone else's bend, if aliens invade, if they don't invade - no matter what happens someone will start a new bend thread just about every day, starting with something along the lines of "Hey guys I used to mock people who said their phones bent but I've just pulled mine out of its case and I noticed it has bent in half as well!"

There just HAS to be the word Bent or Bend on the first page.

17. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

Mine doesn't go in my front pocket so I guess this will be my only post here

18. Storm8873 macrumors newbie

I tell you what, it really blazes my balls hearing this crap. I have an iPhone 6 and I'm loving it!

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    Stop with the personal attacks, if you're not interested in the discussion, then move on.

20. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

When I sold my 5s I took off the case and noticed a significant chip on the metal part of the case. I don't remember ever dropping a caseless phone so hard that there would be big chip taken out of it.

But this wasn't chipgate for me. I realized I must have and didn't realize it.

So yes. My reaction to a bent phone would be that I screwed it up...or that I shouldn't have upgraded to 8.1.

----------

Since there are millions and millions of people using their phone in "normal fashion" every day and we Don't have huge lines outside of Apple stores looking to return their bent phones, normal usage doesn't appear to be a sufficient condition for bebding.

21. Jayson A thread starter macrumors 68000

So some people are extremely careless with their iPhones and cause them to bend...

or

There is a defect with some iPhones where the metal is softer or the reinforcements are missing.

22. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I used to think only someone who is careless and abusive with their devices could drop a phone and shatter the screen until it happened to me.

So yeah I think it's easy for people to assume the worst until it happens to them.

The bending isn't a common issue though maybe some screws in a very small amount of phones are defective and will bend even under normal conditions.

I believe the people who said it bent in a front pocket or in an unknown way but they don't remember doing anything obviously abusive.

The only thing that concerns me is that despite a PR release saying it's mega rare and they'll take care of it, Apple seems to be declining to replace many bent units people are reporting.

If they were consistent with granting replacements at least early on it would have been at least comforting to know they will step up. But the first several people on here with the issue were denied a replacement (or it seems more are denied than granted from my cursory reading) and that makes me worry just in case it ever happens.

23. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

Yeah, softer metal. That's the ticket.
    Funny!

Maybe aliens.
    Or Lupus.

----------

My bet is that Apple did an extensive analysis to see if the phones that they did replace had "softer metal" or some other inherent defect and concluded that they didn't.

They may still replace some phones based on a manager's judgement call (as they do when someone brings in a phone that was mishandled in other ways) but there is nothing that indicates that they should accept all bent phones.

24. iceperson macrumors 6502

The inconsistency is exactly the reason I took my 6 back. My daughter's 4 is starting to have problems and she needs a new phone. Normally I'd buy myself the 6 and give her my 5, but I simply don't trust these phones. If she carried a purse then I'd just get her a 6, but she keeps her phone in her front pocket as well, so I'll probably just buy her a 5c even though the thought of spending $400 for hardware that's 2 generations old irks me more than a little...

25. nj1266 macrumors 6502a

How about you buy the 5s and give her your 5?

Or buy the 6 and get AppleCare+ and you should be taken care of for two years.

----------

Here is what I would do if I accidentally bend my iPhone 6: take it to Apple and exchange it for another since I have AC+.

I will certainly not post about it on macrumors.