'Today at Apple' Sessions About Art, Music, and Coding Expanding to Every Apple Store in May

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 25, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today announced that it will be expanding its "Today at Apple" educational sessions to all of its 495 retail stores around the world in May.

[​IMG]

"Today at Apple" will offer programs with more than 60 different hands-on sessions in creative skills. The free sessions, which have been offered at Apple's flagship Union Square store in San Francisco since last year, will cover topics such as photography, videography, music, coding, art, and design.
    Many sessions will be taught by highly-trained Creative Pros, which Apple describes as the "liberal arts equivalent" to its technical Geniuses. In select cities, Apple says world-class artists, photographers, and musicians will also teach sessions from "basics and how-to lessons" to "professional-level programs."

"Today at Apple" will cater to all skill levels and ages, with special programs such as Teacher Tuesday and Kids Hour targeted towards families and educators respectively. Other sessions will focus on professional software such as Final Cut Pro X and Logic Pro X, or coding with the Swift Playgrounds app for iPad.
    Apple said each of its stores will receive large displays created specifically for "Today at Apple" sessions. Each store will also have updated seating and sound. Apple has already renovated dozens of its existing retail stores with these next-generation features since 2015, with dozens more locations to follow this year.

Apple has been redesigning its stores under the leadership of retail chief Angela Ahrendts, the former CEO of luxury fashion brand Burberry. Ahrendts wants to position Apple Stores as not only shopping destinations, but also as gathering places for the community. "Meet me at Apple," she envisions someone as saying.

Video is available in the United States only

Ahrendts, in a new interview with CBS This Morning:
    Apple's latest next-generation store will open at Dubai Mall on April 27, the company recently announced.

Article Link: 'Today at Apple' Sessions About Art, Music, and Coding Expanding to Every Apple Store in May

2. ILuvEggplant Suspended

ILuvEggplant

3. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

I like the idea, but for many stores I don't see how this can be executed well. For the newer stores where spaces for things like this have been set aside I can see this really being great. But when I go to an Apple Store it is generally the one at the Mall of Georgia. It has the traditional Apple Store layout and setup, so it's narrow and deep and almost always completely overcrowded. They have a table setup towards the back near the Genius Bar where they try to teach classes. Some poor employee at the store has to wear a mic and try and teach people how to use their device or whatever it is they are training on that day. It's incredibly awkward and takes up a lot of space at the expense of the vast majority of the people that are there to get their phone or computer fixed.

Unless they are going to do a re-org to the existing store model layout, I don't see how this doesn't do anything other than make an already crowded place even more overrun with people.

4. tennisproha macrumors 65816

Does she not get why people meet at Starbucks and why that works?

The only people who are gonna say "meet me at apple" are the amway shills because they'll have free access to laptops.

5. CrystalQuest76 Suspended

Sounds good but not really original. Apple Stores 12 or so years ago had areas dedicated to training. Most of the training I saw was specific to being creative with Apple and Filemaker produced applications. But I saw training that also covered other applications produced by Adobe. I was disappointed when I saw Apple phase out those training oprotunities.

6. ackmondual macrumors 65816

ackmondual

Those Amway/Quixstar sheep have invaded Apple stores now!? o_O:mad: I've heard they've tried to recruit new IBOs in Barnes & Noble, until management told them to stop since they were really hassling customers (downright harassment in some cases), which in turn, got their uplines to also warn them of the same thing. I'd think Apple stores being physically smaller, the employees will have a better and tighter handle on when they go around with their "sales pitches".

7. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

Same. I'd like to see how they manage this in their typical mall space. It's a great concept though.

8. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

Meet me at Apple, they have old spec laptops that show you what computer graphics 5 years ago look like! :rolleyes:

We'll see how that goes, especially since most Apple stores are in Malls with far more enticing stores to go to....

9. ackmondual macrumors 65816

ackmondual

I've had family and some friends who aren't Mac users just flabbergasted that they're still around... people walk into them, but no1 ever seems to buy anyways. FWIW, I've seen stores throughout the nation where folks do pick up their fair shares of iPhones, whereas one person dropped 3 or 4 grand on Mac hardware alone. AFAIK, their margins are large enough that they really don't need to make THAT MANY sales to stay afloat.

10. DuckyDelite macrumors newbie

I would love my local Apple Store to be some kind of great meeting space, but I already avoid my local Apple Store because it is a crowded mess full of kids hogging all the devices so they can check their Facebook accounts.

11. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

Yeah, okay. Every time I'm in an Apple Store it is insanely overcrowded and noisy. I just find myself wanting to leave as soon as possible. Can't see how anyone would enjoy going for any type of class or meeting.

12. Attirex macrumors 6502a

Apple providing free classes turned into a cesspool of negativity on MR forums in only ten posts....confirmed.

13. melendezest Suspended

Agreed.

I also hang out in places I can eat or drink at, as well as enjoy a view.

NOT happening at an Apple Store...you get neither.

"Meet me at the Apple Store" my a$$.

14. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

... filed next to her "Meet me at Burberry" campaign.

Bad idea.

15. ackmondual macrumors 65816

ackmondual

Also, don't Apple stores already do this? I guess I could be mistaken, but I recall they already had special events consisting of teaching sessions and speakers. I digress in saying that these would be more than just how to use your devices, basic tutorials, and now we have a wider selection of industry experts as guests.

16. JuicyMatoosey macrumors newbie

JuicyMatoosey

New products used to bring me in, I like computers and stuff, but I'd settle for a cooking class. Thank me later Ahrendts

17. testcard macrumors 68040

testcard

18. guzhogi, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017

guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

Whenever I've been to an Apple Store, it's crowded. I've been in a Microsoft store. They do have areas for teaching classes, and it's kind of quiet. Mainly because I could count how many customers there were in the store on one hand with fingers (plural) left over.

19. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

20. B.K. macrumors regular

Sounds like a 70 million dollar idea to me!

21. satchmo macrumors 68020

Yes, this is how you engage and connect with your customers.

Real people showing real world applications that hopefully inspire others. It's up close, open and informal (i.e not a TED stage) and most of all, FREE!

22. forerunnerg34 macrumors 6502

forerunnerg34

"Did you see what's going on at Apple today?" - nothing

23. mytdave macrumors 6502a

So Apple is bringing back what they once discontinued. Not a new idea... Glad to see it return though. Unfortunately the layout of most Apple stores is not conducive to learning/teaching. Hope Apple expands most of their stores to accommodate a quiet area for the sessions, and to make the stores less crowded.

I would definitely be interested in taking my oldest kid and going to learn Swift coding.

24. ItsNotaTumor macrumors member

ItsNotaTumor

I would think they'd decide to schedule classes in the afternoons and mornings when they're less busy.

like their classes back in the day.

25. dmylrea macrumors 68030

dmylrea

As the years have gone by, less tables and counter space for computers of varying configurations with varying gadgets to get hands-on with, and more and more tables of iPhones and iPads and watches. Remind me why I want to go to an Apple Store?