Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Indeed. Cook's expertise is logistics. No denying what he's brought to the table on that front.

But doesn't a part of you wish Apple weren't so big? Not like Samsung, but maybe it's an offshoot skunkworks company that throws more things at the wall to see if they stick. But maybe, there's a group like that already inside of Apple.

That's merely one of at least two dozen other areas of his expertise that have taken Apple to having a billion customers who love Apple products and are willing to open their wallets paying premium prices for them, year after year after year.

You may not know Cook has many people working under him who actually focus on logistics.

Reactions: Captain Trips

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
Tim Cook. I was angry with him for so long regarding past product decisions (and I still disagree with many of them).

But the irrefutable fact is that Apple has been extremely successful under him, and he has managed to skate the company to where the puck was going to be.

Apple has become one of the most flexible, turn-on-a-dime companies in history under his watch (no pun intended).

People underestimate how Apple's switch of focus from the Mac to iPhone, and the expansion to wearables and services, is an amazing achievement.

I've been using Apple for 20 years, and in my opinion things are better than ever.

Perhaps not for you diehard, old-school, really-want-a-pc-but-mac-workhorse kinda guys.

But for an always-has-used-macs-as-a-consumer type of guy like me, the Mac has been relegated to those 20 years behind me.

The products that truly flourished under Tim:

AirPods, iPad, Apple Watch, Apple Pencil, iCloud, and at the center: iPhone. That wonderful swiss army knife.

The Macs now sit in the garage, unless I need to move a couch and after, back in it goes.

Tim took the baton from Steve, and has kept Apple WAY ahead in the race. So who's next?

I'm thinking Craig...

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Surprisingly, despite all of Apple's accomplishments in the last 10 years, I have a less favorable view of the company now than I did back then. Like many luxury brands, they are now more marketing than substance.

Edit: Here are some reasons. My 2010 MBP, iPhone 4 and iPhone 5s were virtually flawless. Recent products seem to have a lot of defects in finish (flawed coating on phones, wobbly MBA, keyboard issues, bent iMAC, bent iPad, etc.) as well as performance issues (display causing headaches due to flicker, weird graphics glitches, etc.). I am no longer wow-ed by Apple's products. I buy them mostly because of eco-system lock-in and/or lack of a better alternative (especially on the OS front). CSAM only added to my negative perception of Apple.

Last edited:

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
That's merely one of at least two dozen other areas of his expertise that have taken Apple to having a billion customers who love Apple products and are willing to open their wallets paying premium prices for them, year after year after year.

You may not know Cook has many people working under him who actually focus on logistics.

Of course as CEO he has a logistics team. I was referring to his background with IBM and Compaq.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
Reading MacRumors forum posts for the first 3-4 years after Tim took over is kind of funny now. Lots of hate.

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
That picture... is he doing his business in the water closet?

I would say it has been an extremely successful 10 years based on most objective metrics. Emotional metrics? Well, that's what this forum is for I guess!

• Haha
Reactions: nvmls

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Congratulations Tim!

Now can you please stop this illiberal nonsense about using our phones to spy on us? I understand your motivation, but the costs of this will far outweigh the benefits.

Oh, and for the love of god, please provide a system setting that shows full filenames in Finder windows. I have a 27" iMac for heaven's sake, and the Finder window shows truncated file names even when it shows empty columns. There's plenty of space. FFS.

Reactions: BulkSlash and nvmls

Kuckuckstein

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2020
It's been 10 years of unwarranted criticism, Steve Jobs nostalgia, and battering of the word "innovation" (I'm not even sure if anyone knows what that means anymore). The numbers do not lie, Apple is still at the very top and leading its competitors. That doesn't just happen because people remember the hard work and dedication of Steve Jobs. 2021Q2 has Apple at 53% market share with Samsung being the next best at 26%. It's time to stop the charades. Cook has been doing an excellent job.
I still believe that this is due to three facts:
  • That Apple has achieved all the important ingredients for its eco system before Steve’s demise
  • That none of the competitors is brave enough to push past Apple - way too much copy paste
  • That none of them really strives for this perfection in execution
With the exception of Apple silicon, Apple hasn’t blown me away as they used to. Competitors are often more innovative, but just don’t follow things entirely through.

As long as Tim ensures that Apple provides this seamless perfection it will be hard to change the game at this point, even though they have a few plunders in between.

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
Apple Watch best product release since Jobs.

The Apple Watch is by far my favorite Apple product of the past decade. I have a series 4, and it still does everything I would want it to do. The Watch, with Apple Pay, ECG, heart rate, and fall monitor is probably one of the highest value, most useful tech gadgets I've ever purchased. I use Apple Pay with my watch more and more each day. I'll probably never be without one ever again.

I used to like him. I used to trust him.

Now, I believe Steve made a mistake.

The Apple I knew and loved since 1977 no longer exists.

The Apple you knew and loved stopped existing in 1983 when that rat from Pepsi John Sculley took over. One of the absolute WORST CEO's of all time. Spindler was no barn burner either. At least Amelio bought NeXT which led to the acquisition of NeXTSTEP. Without which you wouldn't be running OSX, iOS, or any other Apple operating system as it exists today since Copland was destined to become a disaster due to crappy project and corporate management. Someone (Steve Jobs, actually) was smart enough to put a stop that Gassee's insanity of replacing Classic with BeOS which was another disaster in the making.

If you pine for the Apple you loved in 1977, then you really belong at the Church of Woz, and not Jobs. That Apple ceased to exist when Jobs saw fit to make it his corporate mission to destroy the Apple II, which like Bruce Willis was almost impossible to kill.

Apple started to become the company it is today sometime around the Second Coming of Steve. During the in between years, it was adrift in a sea of PowerPC, pizza box computers, Newtons, and Pippin's.

It wasn't a straight road from 1977 to today, or even the day Steve died. Sometimes I miss the old days when we had to push home computers to do things like display 3D graphics or high res images.

Now, it's just another toaster or refrigerator, on everyone's desk and in everyone's home. That's what I miss about the "early" years...

Reactions: Captain Trips
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.