"Today" vs "Google Now"

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by robjulo, Jul 22, 2013.

1. robjulo macrumors 6502a

I haven't seen much info on it so I'm curious how "Today" (in the current beta form) compares with Google Now from an information standpoint.

For example, Google Now gives commute, weather for where I am, also weather where it thinks I'm going, gives me directions to places it thinks I'm going and sports scores for the teams I follow, among others. From what little information I've seen on "Today" it appears to be calendar and weather and that is it.

How does Today compare?

2. Parise macrumors 6502a

Parise

No comparison. At all.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Kinda would be helpful to actually expand a bit on that. As is your post is essentially content free.

B

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

None whatsoever? There's no traffic conditions provided, or current and upcoming weather forecast, and some idea of upcoming calendar events in either one?

5. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

There is a description of current weather and for the remainder of the day. There is an outline of your calendar for the day, and the upcoming events. There is also a quick outline of your calendar for the next day.

It will also, after learning your frequent locations, give you real-time information on commute times. For instance, for myself, it tells me in the morning how long it will take me to commute to work. In the afternoon, it tells me how long it will take me to drive home. If I am away from home (anywhere), it will tell me how long it would take me to drive home from my current location.

Pretty neat so far, and I see it getting more accurate and useful as time goes on.

6. robjulo thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I really think we'll see more from it before the GM. They didn't really touch on it much during the WWDC keynote, so I think it's still a work in progress. I see more things integrated with it and a better way to provide directions and recommendations based on more than location (restaurants, etc).

8. Parise macrumors 6502a

Parise

Fine, three things.

Google Now IMO is more "Life Aware" (package tracking, sports scores, traffic conditions, weather, live flight status thats automatically setup, events nearby, nearby public alerts, public transit times, location based reminders, just to name a few)

Today is more, well, "Today Aware" (Forecast, how long until you're home, Today's upcoming appts(even though the calendar is right underneath)).

If you'd like to compare a Yugo to a Porsche because they both have wheels and seats then I guess thats fine too.

EDIT: Google Now is completely setup using your Gmail Account. Package Tracking, Hotel Reservations, Flight Status, etc cards are populated using confirmation emails to your gmail account. In case anyone wondered how that worked.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

And there you go, a comparison of some things.

10. paulcdb macrumors regular

Today includes reminders if they have a date set (not tried without though)

Personally, i prefer today over google now atm since i don't really care about most of the crap google includes. I just want to see what appointments and how traffic, both work great for me with iOS. (Traffic never seems to work in google now)

The only thing that i don't like about it is the Calendar day view but thankfully that can be turned off.

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Sounds like a lot of Now's value depends on how much info is already in your Google account.

B

12. robjulo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Some (the info has to come from somewhere), others you do a one time manual add, ie your favorite teams, stocks etc.

The "cool" factor is stuff derived from the gmail account. For example, I was traveling a couple of weeks ago. While on the road we called and booked a hotel (confirmation email gets sent). A few minutes later, I pulled up Google Now and it already had the weather for that area populated as well as a card to open navigation to the hotel with one click.

13. paulcdb macrumors regular

It's great when google has done but there's still a lot todo by both companies.

Biggest thing missing right now i think is alerts! I know google is supposed to alert you when you need to leave but i've yet to actually see it work and it's something I'd like to see iOS introduce too but it's still early days!

14. spacehog371 macrumors regular

Yes, there are traffic conditions provided.

15. Parise macrumors 6502a

Parise

Ah that worked for me beautifully.

Basically says, judging by the traffic in the area, you need to leave within 15 minutes in order to make your appointment. Pretty slick feature.

16. bearda macrumors 6502

Google Now has a lot of different types of information it can display, but in my experience also tends to be fairly inconsistent about when it chooses to display it. It tends to surprise you every once and a while with a piece of relevant information you didn't know you needed (or just plain didn't ask for), but trying to get it to happen again when you actually want it doesn't always work.

The weather and traffic conditions to work and back are very consistent (and probably the things I use the most). The information is presented All the information it provides tends to be above and beyond what iOS 7 Today can do. Google Now has rough edges to it, but even with the rough edges it easily beats Today.

Siri beats Google Now in terms of voice control, though. The fact I can't send a text message via voice alone on my Nexus 4 still bugs me, especially since I was able to do it easily on my 4S.

17. robjulo thread starter macrumors 6502a

18. kevinof macrumors 6502a

Really? Google now is "life aware" plus "today aware" as it also doe's everything in your list below.

19. Parise macrumors 6502a

Parise

"Life Aware" encompasses "Today Aware".

20. bearda macrumors 6502

Nope. The important point is being able to do it with voice alone. The article is a bit misleading, but even is says:

"After Now has filled in all of the required fields for you, you only need to tap a single button to have the message sent."

It doesn't sound like much, but having to confirm sending the message with an onscreen button is a big deal to me. It's the difference between being able to send a message to my wife saying I'll be late for dinner with my phone in my pocket while driving and not. There's no technical reason Google Now couldn't act the same way (being able to confirm the send via voice), it just isn't quite as polished for my use case as Siri.

21. robjulo thread starter macrumors 6502a

I see now. I tried it with Siri last night and, you are correct, Siri asks you if you are ready to send and you can simply say "yes". Seems silly google has not included that.

22. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

Good conversation. Quick question. I'm running iOS7 B3. I don't see anything related to traffic conditions on my Today screen, and I don't see a setting to turn it on/off. Is there a setting somewhere else I'm missing? Or is it a matter of not being available in my region (although, I'm in the Metro Detroit area, so I'd be surprised if it wasn't available here).

23. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

So if I'm not a Gmail user, Google now really offers very little over Today sounds like. And seeing that it isn't front-facing (lock screen) like Today...seems the choice is obvious for me.

Let's just hope Apple continues to grow and improve Today.

24. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

Settings > Notification Center > TODAY VIEW > Traffic Conditions

25. Parise macrumors 6502a

Parise

Google Now still offers more functionality even if you arent a Gmail user. Location based cards are plentiful and who DOESNT have a google login at this point?

The quick access to Today may be the only reason to go with it. I'm with you, if Today had even a 1/3 of the features that Now has, it would be sick. Hopefully in the future. Also, the styling of Today needs to be re-worked. Its horribly sloppy looking IMO.