Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Since early November, Apple has been offering a significant discount on all of its USB-C adapters and accessories, including the 4K and 5K LG UltraFine displays, to ease the transition from USB-A to USB-C for new MacBook Pro owners.

Apple's discount is set to expire at the end of March, meaning today, March 31, is the last day to make a purchase before prices go back up.

At the current time, all accessories and LG displays are discounted by upwards of 25 percent, which is a major price drop. On the 5K LG UltraFine Display, for example, that cuts the regular $1,299.95 price down to $974. For the 4K display, the price drops from $699.95 to $524.

lg-ultrafine-5k.jpg

All of Apple's own USB-C accessories are available at a discount through the end of the day, with prices listed below:

- USB-C to USB Adapter - Was $19, now $9
- Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Was $49, now $29
- USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter - Was $69, now $49
- USB-C VGA Multiport Adapter - Was $69, now $49
- USB-C to Lightning Cable (1m) - Was $25, now $19
- USB-C to Lightning Cable (2m) - Was $35, now $29

Non-Apple USB-C accessories are also discounted, with price drops on hard drives, SSDs, adapter cables, and more.

Apple's sale was originally set to expire on December 31, 2016, but after availability issues with the 5K LG UltraFine Display, it was extended until March 31, 2017. Apple could potentially extend the sale again, but it's best to make purchases now if you've been holding off on getting a monitor or a new USB-C accessory.

Article Link: Today's the Last Day to Get USB-C Accessories and LG Displays at a Discounted Price From Apple

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I'll be curious to see if Apple does raise the price as significantly as that. Regardless of how it came about that the price went down it's now seen as "the price" by most. So going back up that much for a 4-6 month old product may not pan out.

kwandrews

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Colorado, USA
They discounted it because it is ugly, and conflicts with Apple's traditionally not-ugly designs.. Simple as that.

I have the 4K. Yes, the case is ugly. The functionality is superb. The color is an exact match to my 13" MBP...stellar! It's such a beautiful screen I don't notice the case much anymore. For the $524, I'm thrilled with it.

Reactions: ex0dus1985

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
They discounted it because it is ugly, and conflicts with Apple's traditionally not-ugly designs.. Simple as that.

It's actually been discounted for quite some time, today is just the last day. I will admit it doesn't have the build quality Apple would have used. The LG is more plasticky, yes, but I think the shielding issue slowed things down, although minor to fix, likely turned some buyers off.

But overall, the 5K display is gorgeous.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
4K and 5K are old news when 8K is now available for 8K photography and RED video.

cityboy-100

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2016
My 5k display has such buggy software. It never recognizes my keyboard after waking from sleep. The speakers are also terribly set up.

It's barely worth the $9xx it cost, I don't see how anyone could pay $1300 for one; at that point just get an iMac.

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016
4K and 5K are old news when 8K is now available for 8K photography and RED video.

4K is not even a standard yet. I just got a 4K tv last christmas and I'm the only one I know who has a display of that resolution. Heck, a lot of broadcast video is still 720p.

Reactions: bernuli

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
I'll be curious to see if Apple does raise the price as significantly as that. Regardless of how it came about that the price went down it's now seen as "the price" by most. So going back up that much for a 4-6 month old product may not pan out.
Look at completed listings on eBay, people are willing to pay $1299. That, or they simply don't know any better.

cityboy-100

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2016

I'm assuming sarcasm here, but just to be clear:

There's almost no (no?) end-user hardware to display 8k.

A 8K desktop monitor would be superfluous because 5K is already too dense for eyes to resolve individual pixels on a 27" display, about the largest desirable desktop monitor size.

Someone close to me has an 8K RED and we both know it's primarily useful as an interstitial format in media production or for commercial projection, but I don't see how it's that valuable as a resolution for consumer hardware. There aren't even any standard cable protocols for 8k signals that I know of: DisplayPort 1.3 can't even handle 5k@60Hz@30bpp in one stream and DP 1.4 doesn't boost the max bandwidth per stream.

Reactions: ImaxGuy and zzLZHzz

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Ah, DongleFest at the AppleStores. Where refurb computers and iPads are the new peripheral's to expand Tim's vision: entangle customers into a never ending network of Dongles.
Where they run around as aimless PacMan's in another unnecessary ecosystem of Ultimate Greed

Reactions: pentrix2

nathan_393

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2016
This is not great business, but it's even worse outside of the US — where prices are higher on Apple products to begin with. In Canada, that 5K display is over $1200 now, and it's only going to go up to over $1600. Crazy. Even at these prices, I could only afford the 4K model (which is very nice, in all honesty).

sziehr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
I have the 4K. Yes, the case is ugly. The functionality is superb. The color is an exact match to my 13" MBP...stellar! It's such a beautiful screen I don't notice the case much anymore. For the $524, I'm thrilled with it.
once I got one that works right...
I am also thrilled.

So thrilled I bought a second one just cause it was on sale. I may return it in 14 days who knows. But I wanted to lock in the price the normal price for this monitor is so high but not cause it is ugly but because it does not parity the rest of the monitors in the field

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Even at discounted priced they're still more expensive than competition adapters.
Way to go Tim.

Wrong. The Anker USB-C to USB-A dongle is $9.99 on Amazon, $1 more.
Nobody makes a USB-C charge cable that can do 87 W except Apple.
The Aukey USB-C hub that's comparable to the Digital AV Multiport Adapter is $6 cheaper, but the reviews universally complain about a squealing noise and failures.

cult hero

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
I ordered a second 5K that arrived today so I had one for home and the office. I didn't need it, but honestly, it could be a while before a monitor like this is available at the price point and after using one at the office all day, it's amazing how pixelated my old 27" LED Cinema Display looks (not to mention washed out).

I've been using my first (without the shielding fix) since late January. It's not perfect, but the panel itself is—by far—the nicest panel I have ever used. 5K is nice in and of itself, but the color cannot be understated. I actually prefer it to Apple monitors in the sense that I like the black and hey... LG isn't morally opposed to standard VESA mounts or an adjustable stand. (No cable management is a bit of a head scratcher but it's nothing velcro can't fix.)

Also, single cable is just cool. I know it's a little thing, but it's a nice little thing. If you haven't seen/used one in person, you should do it ASAP if you're on the fence. I read a lot of negative reviews and, quite frankly, if you're giving this display 1 star because you don't like the look... you're not someone I should take advice from.

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
It's actually been discounted for quite some time, today is just the last day. I will admit it doesn't have the build quality Apple would have used. The LG is more plasticky, yes, but I think the shielding issue slowed things down, although minor to fix, likely turned some buyers off.

But overall, the 5K display is gorgeous.

I got LG's precursor to this 5K display: the 27-inch, 4K, 27UD88-W (3840 x 2160 @60 Hz, 30bpp, >98% sRGB), which has a full-complement of customer-facing ports, not like LG's UltraFine display family.

It is just the bee's knees.

It not only serves as my MBP desktop display (via DP 1.2), but also interfaces to my ROKU streaming stick, which is powered off one-of-two additional USB 3.0 ports.

Could not be happier. ($599 from B&H.)

Last edited:
Reactions: radus and bernuli

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Apple should make brand new displays for brand new Mac Pro and brand new Mac mini. Yes, the 4K and 5K LG UltraFine displays, are ugly!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.