Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which iPhone GPS App do you prefer - iOS4 versions only !!!

• Total voters

ohla313

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
...so are all map updates free? I am leaning towards TomTom due to its strong presence. Anyway to get the car mount cheap??

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
A neat feature in Navigon is that you can email your location or saved locations in favourites to anyone with an iPhone and a Navigon app.

When I got my iP4 I emailed all my saved locations from my old 3G, twas a life saver:D

I guess it would also come in handy if you are broken down somewhere you could email the location to your wife or who ever if they too have Navigon, so they could come and pick you up.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Some people saying that the car kit is not good for iPhone 4 for it's tight. And some people are saying TomTom hasn't updated to Retina Display.

iPhone 4 has a much more accurate GPS then the older 3G/3GS, so you will probably see little to no improvement from the dock. That said, I have not tired it around tall buildings. YMMV.
TomTom is not yet updated for the RD display. It's upscales the low rez image, but it doesn't affect usability. Once the phone is on your dashboard, you shouldn't be able to see the difference.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I bought Navigon on Saturday after they lowered the price to $17.99. As a former Sprint customer who loved their free navigation app, I am extremely pleased with Navigon's performance so far. The directions were clear, the voice gave me plenty of warning before turns, and the speed limit feature is fantastic. Live traffic would be nice, and I may consider purchasing that in the future, but overall, I would highly recommend this app, even with its massive 1.4 GB space requirement.

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2007
Just how much more valuable and "worth it" is Navigon than the CoPilot USA that I bought for $4.99? I mean, it's a GPS with TTS for an additional $2.99 ($8 total).

I read all the features that Navigon has over CoPilot but from anyone who owns or who has owned both, or "cheap" GPS's .. is Navigon really worth it?

I need to make a decision within the next week while the price is still discounted. Thanks!

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Just how much more valuable and "worth it" is Navigon than the CoPilot USA that I bought for $4.99? I mean, it's a GPS with TTS for an additional $2.99 ($8 total).

I read all the features that Navigon has over CoPilot but from anyone who owns or who has owned both, or "cheap" GPS's .. is Navigon really worth it?

I need to make a decision within the next week while the price is still discounted. Thanks!

CoPilot is nice, but Navigon is better. It's more polished and gives better directions, but both will get you where you need to go. If you only pull out your GPS in a pinch, stick with Co-Pilot, but if you use GPS navigation frequently, it's worth upgrading.

ohla313

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
with the TomTom app can I purchase the USA one only and add the Mexico and Canada later through in app or anything?

S1njin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2010
NJ
Poll added.

Now that both apps are 50 bucks, I need to make a choice. Like soon.

S1njin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2010
NJ
I understand Navigon has gotten 1 map update - how often does TomTom update its maps for the iPhone app?

bw1128

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
poll add

can you add, "No nav yet, but waitting." so i can post my vote and see what everyone is voting for???
thanks

S1njin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2010
NJ
can you add, "No nav yet, but waitting." so i can post my vote and see what everyone is voting for???
thanks

I don't see a option to modify the poll - forgive me its my first poll.

jsgreen

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
NH
I haven't tried Tom Tom so can't compare, but have used Navigon 1.6 (the recent version upgrad for ios4) for a couple of days on my iPhone 4 and it has worked great, USA + Canada for $50, I purchased the $10 Panoramic view in-app upgrade, which did make the views more pleasant.

So far I'd highly recommend Navigon to anyone with an iPhone 4.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Nice. I may finally replace my Google Maps app with this. All I need is the regional version anyway and for $17.99, that's a damn good deal.

Redline13

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2004
I bought MotionX Drive for $0.99 last week, and most likely plan on purchasing the full year of $25 for voice guidance as it seems like a great app.

I just bought the CoPilot now for $4.99 and plan on buying the TTS for an additional $2.99 .. so cheap - why not give it a try?

If these 2 still aren't up to my standards then I'll consider the Navigon or TomTom .. but seeing as how these are so much cheaper I'm going to have to actually spend some time researching the big differences between MotionX/CoPilot and Navigon/TomTom in terms of features ..

I have been using MotionX GPS Drive for months and I am very satisfied.

navguy

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2009
I have Navigon and wish I went with TomTom. TomTom's traffic and maps beat navigon hands down.

Make the move ... I cut over to TomTom a few months ago and can confirm that TomTom maps, IQ Routes, and Live Traffic provide the best core routing functionality across the board ... the IQ Routes really help w/ routing around Traffic incidents by giving good surface road alternatives ... and the Traffic, side by side, TomTom outperforms Navigon w/ accuracy of delays, location of incidents, and very good ETAs ... the annual cost for Traffic is well worth the improvement in accuracy.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Make the move ... I cut over to TomTom a few months ago and can confirm that TomTom maps, IQ Routes, and Live Traffic provide the best core routing functionality across the board ... the IQ Routes really help w/ routing around Traffic incidents by giving good surface road alternatives ... and the Traffic, side by side, TomTom outperforms Navigon w/ accuracy of delays, location of incidents, and very good ETAs ... the annual cost for Traffic is well worth the improvement in accuracy.

^This
I've tried both. Navigon has better looks, but TomTom has better routes. TomTom wins for core functionality, and Navigon wins for features. For my needs, route quality trumps the extras offed by Navigon.
BTW - Both are great apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.