MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
I'd say this is a good move by Apple, as long as they don't shift focus to only celebs. They can reach more audiences by appealing to the various everyday people in the current ads and the celeb crazy couch potatoes at the same time.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by kungfu
damn, already gone...

kungfu
it's still there... at the time I write this it is

arn

daRAT

macrumors regular
May 12, 2002
Kennebunk, Maine, USA
Gawd, the current "normal" people? Like the cop who couldn't find anyone to tell him what kind of cable to buy to hook to the printer, (I think thats the component) *gag*

Seriously, these so far have been humorous, but nothing I can see that would make anyone switch. Now celebrities, who actually USE a Mac to do something (like music or art), would be interesting.

Now...who the F**k is Tony Hawk? Never heard of him.

:]

julzmon

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2001
NYC
all celebs use apple

Thing is I think all celebs use apple products.

I have not seen a picture yet of a celeb having anything but an apple product.

My friends are paparazzis and i get to see alot of these pictures.

bidge

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New Zealand
What he says, incase you can't get it or it's gone by the time you do.

Well, I like to do a lot of home movie stuff, with Final Cut Pro and make movies of my, my older son skating, and edit them to music. On a Professional level we use Final Cut Pro for all of our skate videos. Timed it to music, put the edit in the right place, easy, if you know how to use a computer you can use a mac.

My name is Tony Hawk, I'm a proffessional skateboarder.

The film also has a bit of skating shots, to the switch music, as always.

Hope this is helpful.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
still there. the webpage made chimera quit every time i tried, so maybe that's your problem... try ie if you can. or at least something else

i have mixed feelings about using tony hawk... overall i think it's a good move. however, i think it's almost too obvious a move. any mac fan that knows anything about tony hawk knows he's a big mac guy who pushed for his game to be ported to mac... he's great cause he's not super super popular but enough people know him. not to mention the fact that the little skater kids that know him could easily be swayed to macs on his word alone....

the one question i have is.... would apple be better off showing a computer or two in these ads? i mean, there are certainly those people who don't nkow what an "apple computer" or "mac" is... so something like "i edit the movies using final cut pro on my mac".... i mean, there are plenty who would have no physical idea of what the "mac" is... at least i think so

that said, not sure they should toss any hardware shots in

i like the idea of using not huge celebs, but then it kinda defeats the purpose... they should get trent reznor too... as much as i'm not a fan of his music. he's always at the front of apple tech... mainly thinking of his use of dvd studio pro pretty early on

good commercial, looking forward to seeing the rest..... c'mon bill cosby

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
The ad is kind of suspicious.
For the first time, shots are used that dont show the "switcher", and I noticed a somewhat unprofessional zoom during the "Final Cut Pro for all our skate videos" passage.
Never before a zoom was used in a switch ad. And the zoom looks unprofessional. Sorry, but it seems to be an "unofficial" Apple ad..!?

My 0.02 € :D

P.S.:1. Can anyone confirm, if this is really Tony Hawk? 2. Why would he talk about FCP instead of iMovie? Its a consumer ad, right?

mattevil

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2002
anybody else think its ironic that tony hawk a big mac fan chose to encode the apple ad in mpeg?

etoiles

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2002
Where the air is crisp
Originally posted by bidge
Timed it to music, put the edit in the right place, easy, if you know how to use a computer you can use a mac.

My name is Tony Hawk, I'm a proffessional skateboarder.

I was surprised by the last statement " if you know how to use a computer, you can use a mac." If I never used a mac before and heard this, I'd think: damn, this machine must be AT LEAST as complicated to use as the PC I am having trouble with.

Maybe he meant: ...you can do video editing on a mac.
Oh well...

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
Originally posted by Stike
The ad is kind of suspicious.
For the first time, shots are used that dont show the "switcher", and I noticed a somewhat unprofessional zoom during the "Final Cut Pro for all our skate videos" passage.
Never before a zoom was used in a switch ad. And the zoom looks unprofessional. Sorry, but it seems to be an "unofficial" Apple ad..!?

My 0.02 € :D

P.S.:1. Can anyone confirm, if this is really Tony Hawk? 2. Why would he talk about FCP instead of iMovie? Its a consumer ad, right?
It looked to be the same quality of the DJ QBert ad. And yes, several ads have zooming in and out.

And he talks about Final Cut Pro because that's what he uses. These are supposed to be REAL stories.

To be honest I don't like how the ad came out, but I'll wait to see more celebrity ads before I pass judgement.

And to the person who said the current ads don't get switchers - you're dead wrong. Maybe not the hardcore gamers, but the average joe who is sick of Windows 98 crashing is taking notice... I know people who are switching or atleast looking into switching because the ads got their attention.

bidge

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by etoiles

I was surprised by the last statement " if you know how to use a computer, you can use a mac." If I never used a mac before and heard this, I'd think: damn, this machine must be AT LEAST as complicated to use as the PC I am having trouble with.

Maybe he meant: ...you can do video editing on a mac.
Oh well...
I thought this when I heard it as well, it is intended for PC users though by the nature of the campaign. It's not switch from your life without a computer but switch from a PC

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
Originally posted by daRAT
Now...who the F**k is Tony Hawk? Never heard of him.

:]
um, hes a pro skateboarder, a very good one at that, and the star of perhaps the greatest game series of all time:)

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Wow, this website is having some MAJOR bandwidth problems. Is it possible that someone could email it to me or send it to me through iChat? I'm a huge Hawk fan and I want to see this ad!

P-Worm

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
Originally posted by P-Worm
Wow, this website is having some MAJOR bandwidth problems. Is it possible that someone could email it to me or send it to me through iChat? I'm a huge Hawk fan and I want to see this ad!

P-Worm
yea sure if u want ill send it via ichat. my name's baseballfreak77.

Oh and if u click on any of the links at top (downloads, products, monthly giveaways), scroll down to the bottom it says "made with an apple in the usa", which is a link to the apple page

corbin_a2

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2002
Here's an idea, why dosent Apple SHOW what a mac can do. Show OS X, and what a beautifuland and functional OS it is! Apple spent years and god knows how much money on developing OS X why the hell don't they show it off?

Mosco

macrumors regular
May 26, 2002
He does you Final Cut Pro for this editing. I remember seeing it on a MacAddict CD movie. He was showing them his G4 and i think he had a 22inch if remember correctly.

I can't beleive some of you dont know who he is... i dont even skateboard and i know.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Way to many people are downloading this right now. i am downloading at 200 bytes and dropping. if any one has can they post it on their idisk or post it on mine. if someone will post it on mine everyone can download itfrom there. my idisk name is "jtaylor.mac"

iJon

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
I just want to know when we are going to see these ads here in Australia.

I hate that the US gets so many cool ads for Apple while we sit back and think about how cool it would be to see these ads on a TV.

We got the iMac in the store front ad and the iPod ad but that is all recently.... I think.