Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arvacker

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
They also have phones without data :rolleyes:.

let's change how we put it. right now we say: if you have a smartphone, ATT can force you on data contract.
which is the same as saying: if ATT can't force you on a data contract, you can't have a smartphone.

what does your mobile provider have to say about which phone you use?
do you let your petrol company decide which car you drive?

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
let's change how we put it. right now we say: if you have a smartphone, ATT can force you on data contract.
which is the same as saying: if ATT can't force you on a data contract, you can't have a smartphone.

what does your mobile provider have to say about which phone you use?
do you let your petrol company decide which car you drive?

Man this is crazy ...... You can always choose which car you drive; that doesn't mean Petrol companies have to supply the fuel. Petrol companies have always decided whether you could refuel YOUR car at THEIR station. Not all petrol companies sell diesel ..... most don't sell LP gas .... etc. ..... alot of stations don't sell non-ethanol and you can't get leaded fuel for old engines that require it......

All ATT is saying is if you have a smartphone and want to use their Network you have to purchase data. They aren't forcing you to do anything.

It's a simple concept. IF YOU WANT TO USE ATT's Network use a BASIC Phone or buy a data package; otherwise use another network.

Last edited:

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
A lot of people want to use a smartphone without data because the regular phones are terrible.

arvacker

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
Man this is crazy ...... You can always choose which car you drive; that doesn't mean Petrol companies have to supply the fuel. Petrol companies have always decided whether you could refuel YOUR car at THEIR station. Not all petrol companies sell diesel ..... most don't sell LP gas .... etc. ..... alot of stations don't sell non-ethanol and you can't get leaded fuel for old engines that require it......

All ATT is saying is if you have a smartphone and want to use their Network you have to purchase data. They aren't forcing you to do anything.

It's a simple concept. IF YOU WANT TO USE ATT's Network use a BASIC Phone or buy a data package; otherwise use another network.

this is again, asking for something that is not available and expecting a company to change because of your needs.
what ATT does, is like if you would drive a certain type of car (let's say pick-up) to a petrol station to fill with gasoline (which they have) and then refuse to let you fill up your car because it's a pick-up.
You wouldn't be so considerate, especially not if you wouldn't have another station for miles to come and you're running low...

I know they can chose their rules, but i don't think they will keep getting away with it, it's not legal.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2012
Alright so to you guys that think AT&T has the right to force you to have a data plan if you have a smart phone really don't know what you are talking about. Sure there may be no law against what AT&T is doing technically, but they may be breaking some FCC rules and nothing is being said. Lets look at the thing about AT&T not letting unlimited data users to use FaceTime over data and tethering. A company decided to look into this and see if it was ok for them to be doing this. Well come to find out it is not and the company has taken the FaceTime to the FCC and now on the iPhone 5 unlimited data users can FaceTime over LTE. I have the iPhone 5 and have tested it and it does work. AT&T never said anything about cause they don't want you to know, but it does work. I am not sure what the name of the company is that is going after att but it seems to be working.

Just because AT&T does something does not mean they are allowed to. About 5 years ago you could own a smartphone without data. The problem is the right people are not complaining to the FCC or AT&T and nothing is getting done. OP if you want to stay with att I would call them and complain and see where that gets you. For those that said you signed a 2 year agreement with them, I don't ever remembering reading anywhere on the contract that I had to have a data plan if I had a smart phone.

----------

Here are the groups that are going after AT&T:
"This brought plenty of criticism from consumer advocacy groups like Free Press, Public Knowledge and New America Foundation. These groups claimed that AT&T’s actions violated net neutrality laws by forcing their customers into plans with fewer options and less data."

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Had my son on my old 3GS (data off) for about 2 years and my wife on my old iPhone 4 (data off) for about 4 months and ATT finally sent them both the dreaded 'you need a data plan' text. Went to att.com to check the account and ATT has tacked the $30 data plan on both phones. Had to happen I guess.

I've got the old $15 data plan which is reasonable because we just don't use that much data on these phones. ATT no longer has that choice, just the $20 300mb choice. What a serious gype.

Not sure what my next move is, but I'm not paying $40 a month for nothing that's for sure. HTC Freestyle off ebay perhaps...

2 YEARS? It took 2 weeks for them to detect my daughter using my 3GS and sent me the Text about the data plan ($25, back then).

The second time, just minutes after placing her SIM back in the 3GS, the AT&T website showed a picture of the 3GS on her account again.

arvacker

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
2 YEARS? It took 2 weeks for them to detect my daughter using my 3GS and sent me the Text about the data plan ($25, back then).

The second time, just minutes after placing her SIM back in the 3GS, the AT&T website showed a picture of the 3GS on her account again.

Now how on earth do they know that. (or have the right to?)
i can't imagine the protest here (Belgium, or Europe for that matter) if a cellular provider stored that information and used it to force you to pay more for stuff you don't want...
I think it's kinda creepy they know what phone i'm using. (i haven't got a clue about the technology but i don't think my provider (Proximus) knows what phone i have + to add to the discussion, the line between smart and dumb phone is quite arbitrary...)

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Most of you don't seem to get a legally binding terms of service contract. Bring this into court, and it would not end in your favor. You as the customer may not like it, but it's the policy. And you either follow it, or you are subjected to getting the boot.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Haha, our line got caught (after a few years of not having a data plan) a few months back. Surprised it went unnoticed for so long, but not complaining :cool:

And btw Yes. Depending on certain circumstances, some people were able to get away with not having a data plan for a really long time.

Switch to dumb phones, block the data, repeat until they catch you

Once they catch you the first time, they'll be able to catch you again within minutes. Like I said above, some people got away with it depending on when they last upgraded and such.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
I don't see how. You're not using data.

I can see if you signed a contract with them for a smartphone but to force me to have data plan because I choose to buy a smartphone off contract just isn't right. It should be looked at.

The phone I choose to use is my choice. If I choose to use cell data then I don't have a problem paying it. But if I choose to use a smartphone and no data, I shouldn't be forced into a data plan.

It's legal simply due to the fact that you agreed to the TOS by opening your account.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2012
Most of you don't seem to get a legally binding terms of service contract. Bring this into court, and it would not end in your favor. You as the customer may not like it, but it's the policy. And you either follow it, or you are subjected to getting the boot.

No see you are wrong. We are willfully signing into terms of service with them yes, but removing features and adding features to certain plans how ever they want is not following FCC rules. If you did not read my first post this is being brought up by a couple of groups and AT&T is being exposed. Please tell how me signing a contract with a company that has none of this language in it is me saying ok you can take and give whatever you want from my plan? I signed a contract for unlimited data and they have since changed what that means, but I signed a contract so they are breaking that contract and no body's says a word.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
No see you are wrong. We are willfully signing into terms of service with them yes, but removing features and adding features to certain plans how ever they want is not following FCC rules. If you did not read my first post this is being brought up by a couple of groups and AT&T is being exposed. Please tell how me signing a contract with a company that has none of this language in it is me saying ok you can take and give whatever you want from my plan? I signed a contract for unlimited data and they have since changed what that means, but I signed a contract so they are breaking that contract and no body's says a word.

You agreed to those changes by keeping your contract open. You could have cancelled by saying you do not agree to those changes.

Why do you think AT&T is getting away with it? Because they legally can. TOS spells this out.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2012
You agreed to those changes by keeping your contract open. You could have cancelled by saying you do not agree to those changes.

Why do you think AT&T is getting away with it? Because they legally can. TOS spells this out.

So why are these groups getting the FCC to look into and make AT&T changed the unlimited FaceTime thing? The groups are saying that we are paying for unlimited data and they are restricting it and they say they can't. It is working so how do you explain that?

Also look at it this way in sports the player signs a contract for so many years with a team. If he wants out or wants something to change he has to break the contract and buy it out. The team has to do the same thing. These same rules are not applying to AT&T and the other phone companies.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
So why are these groups getting the FCC to look into and make AT&T changed the unlimited FaceTime thing? The groups are saying that we are paying for unlimited data and they are restricting it and they say they can't. It is working so how do you explain that?

Also look at it this way in sports the player signs a contract for so many years with a team. If he wants out or wants something to change he has to break the contract and buy it out. The team has to do the same thing. These same rules are not applying to AT&T and the other phone companies.

Take AT&T to court and see how far you get. The only one who will win anything are the lawyers getting your money.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2012
Those groups won't win. You won't win. The lawyers will get rich. That's all.

The problem is you did not listen to what I said. AT&T changed it and now unlimited data iphone 5 user can use FaceTime over LTE. So yes they did win not AT&T and the lawyers.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
The problem is you did not listen to what I said. AT&T changed it and now unlimited data iphone 5 user can use FaceTime over LTE. So yes they did win not AT&T and the lawyers.
According to the front page, it says they enabled it on all tiered plans but not unlimited.

I have no idea though, I still have a 3GS so none of this concerns me.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2012
According to the front page, it says they enabled it on all tiered plans but not unlimited.

I have no idea though, I still have a 3GS so none of this concerns me.

Well I do own an iphone 5 and have unlimited data and use FaceTime over LTE all the time. Like I said before AT&T just does not want you to know that you can use it.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Your next move should be to move to Straight Talk(off of AT&T) or GoSmart Mobile (off of T-Mobile) if you wish to keep your bill low:)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Well I do own an iphone 5 and have unlimited data and use FaceTime over LTE all the time. Like I said before AT&T just does not want you to know that you can use it.

Are you sure about that?
I also have the exact same but cannot do FaceTime over carrier data.
When I try to turn the option on it just gives me a pop up to call AT&T.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.