OS X Top 10 Mac Games ever including 2015?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by gochi, Oct 16, 2015.

1. gochi macrumors 6502

I really want to get back into gaming but don't know which games to play -- I prefer FPS and puzzle games, but am open to anything really.

Is the Orange Box community online still active? AOE3?

Thanks.

2. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

to play now...

tomb raider
    football manager
    starcraft 2
    civ 5
    deus ex human revolution
    left 4 dead 2
    portal 2
    metro 2033
    broken age
    struggling for a 10th...

of all time then deus ex, syndicate,

3. gochi thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Irishman macrumors 68030

You gotta have Borderlands 2 in the top 5!!

5. jeanlain macrumors 65816

6. gochi thread starter macrumors 6502

7. Garrod macrumors regular

Garrod

World Of Goo is in my Top Ten for OS X. I remember buying that as part of a bundle somewhere about six years ago (might not have been that long ago) and I still play it today. Wonderful atmosphere, nice and steady learning curve and fantastic music. You can find a free demo here (multi platform too): http://worldofgoo.com/dl2.php?lk=demo

8. flybius macrumors newbie

9. Idgit macrumors 6502

Idgit

10. bobbytomorow, Oct 20, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2015

bobbytomorow macrumors 6502

bobbytomorow

Games I've recently played on Steam:
    -System Shock 2
    -Batman Arkham Asylum
    -Bioshock 2 & Infinite
    -Dead island
    -Half Life 1 & 2
    -Metro 2033
    -Spec Ops The Line (just finished this and its awesome and plays very well)
    -Day of Defeat Source (still a pretty solid community and imo better gameplay than CS or CoD)

Also theres some games not on Steam but still great fun and Mac compatible:
    -Doom 3
    -Quake 4
    -Prey

11. bobbytomorow macrumors 6502

bobbytomorow

Also just an FYI Dolphin runs beautifully on Mac OS X with its OpenGL support if you are into emulating Wii and Gamecube games, theres literally hundreds of great games to pick from and you can use a PS3 or PS4 controller its basically plug and play

12. koyoot macrumors 601

koyoot

The Witcher 2, Heroes of the Storm, Diablo 3, Warcraft 3, World of Warcraft, Starcraft 2, Hearthstone, Bioshock Infinite, Portal 2

And there is one last bit missing... ;)

13. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

14. Huntn, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2015

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Marathon
    Myth
    Unreal Tournament (find it on Steam)
    Half Life (Steam)
    Half Life 2 (Steam)
    Homeworld (Steam)
    World of Warcraft (although it appears to be nearing the end of it's run) ;)

15. fhopper macrumors member

fhopper

I really like using an XBox 360 controller with my games, it makes it so much more fun. I have gotten a year of heavy play out of the Boarderlands Trilogy.

16. backinblack875 macrumors 6502a

backinblack875

Xcom Enemy unknown/within! squad turn based strategy game, really fun. 2nd one is coming out in feb2016

17. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

18. Lexdexia macrumors regular

Lexdexia

Tomb Raider reboot and L4D2 are surprising decent ports for OS X. But games still perform much better on Windows in boot camp.

Other good games: Bioshock, Batman: Arkham City, Terraria, and Minecraft.

19. Irishman macrumors 68030

The only performance delta I really care about between Windows and OS X is where it's playable on Windows but not on OS X (i.e. 30-60 fps on Windows and 10-20 fps on OS X). If an OS X title (like Tomb Raider, which I just finished) can give me playable frame rates of between 35-60 fps (which it does), I don't care if the same game is 80-100 fps in Windows. I'm not missing out on anything.

L4D2 gives me 120 fps at 1080p with everything maxed in OS X, as does CS:GO. What am I missing by not playing them in Windows?

20. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

i found both ran okay on my imac. not all games do mind you, pax payne 3 was horrible on mac.

21. Lexdexia macrumors regular

Lexdexia

I played Tomb Raider on both OS X and on boot camp. The performance and graphical quality difference is HUGE. On Windows 10, Tomb Raider runs smoothly and looks great at 1920x1200 on high quality preset with an avg. of 43 FPS. Trying the same resolution and quality on El Capitan, it became clear to me that gaming is mediocre at best on OS X. At 1920x1200 on high quality, Tomb Raider is barely playable on OS X with an avg. of 29 FPS, not to mention the game somehow feels less immersive due to the omission of finer graphical details.

Also, I have L4D2 on both El Capitan and Windows 10 boot camp. Once again, L4D2 runs better in Windows, with higher graphical quality and runs smoothly at full HD resolutions. It's totally fine on El Cap too since it runs buttery smooth, but that's expected since it's a game released more than half a decade ago. I've never played CS:GO so I have nothing to say about that. But I've heard it runs well on OS X - from friends who have the game.

Well, gaming on OS X will only get better since Apple announced Metal for Mac. The only question is when game developers will update their games with Metal. Until then, I'm sticking to boot camping Windows 10 for all my gaming needs. Looking forward to playing great games like Rise of the Tomb Raider and Overwatch when they're released for Windows in early 2016. Games that users without boot camp have to wait for at least a year or so if they eventually arrive on OS X.

22. Irishman macrumors 68030

Hmmm, I tested the same presets for Tomb Raider and got an average 37 fps.

I think something is wrong with your Mac.

23. alexxk macrumors 6502

I just bought a new iMac 27 max out. I never really played on a MAC, heck.. not even on a PC I really played games since I'm a console gamer..

Thing is, I have a decent Mac now to play some games, so why not?

Does most games support controller? I have a dualshock 4 and XBox one controller and I hate using keyboard

24. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Age of Empires (1, 2 and Mythology)
    Sim City 2000
    Kings Quest
    Realmz
    Rescue!
    Battle Chess
    Duke Nukem 3D
    Prince of Persia
    Wolfenstein 3D
    Tomb Raider 3
    Star Trek: Starfleet Academy

Okay not Mac but Apple II
    Oregon Trail
    Odell Lake

I couldn't help myself and went a bit over. Countless hours were wasted on these games as a kid.

I switched to Windows gaming around 2005. What was the point of gaming on a Mac? It cost a lot more, new Mac games were old Windows titles and most of the good ones were never ported. I suppose the same could be said for Windows vs consoles. Except the Windows versions may have modding and many of the games I prefer are PC only since they are only playable with a keyboard and mouse.