Top 50 Posters Extrapolated, January 2019

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by chown33, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    The problem with "likes" is that some people may use them frequently, others not at all, or in some cases a member may use them only in certain areas such as the digital photography section. I tend to use "likes" only in the POTD thread, for instance, and rarely use a "like" in any other area, and instead will either do nothing or perhaps post my own thoughts in a discussion. So any stats on "likes" counts are likely to be inaccurate in any case.

2. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

I tend to agree.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Thanks! I now feel more liked by the MR community than I did 5 minutes ago!

I’ll return the favour!

4. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

While inaccurate, the system is significantly better than the previous system of up or down voting a post.

That got out of hand to the point where the mods disabled the downvote entirely. So we had upvoting only which essentially is the same thing as likes but anonymous.

At least now, if you're truly going to 'like' a post you're putting your name publicly on it.

EDIT: The management also disabled the Point system. Unsure what that was supposed to be. Or is.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I liked this post so you can feel more liked.

6. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Thanks! I’m so popular. ;)

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is a points (trophies) system for different milestones you accomplish. Here is an example.

As you mentioned, it is disabled on MR.

Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 11.05.55 AM.png

8. chown33 thread starter macrumors 604

One of the things I'd like to know is how to find out someone's most-liked post. Well, my most-liked post. Or really, anyone's most-liked post. Or even anyone's posts in order of most-liked.

I don't know if the forum software has a way to do this, but I'd like it if it did.

9. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Wowzers, some of those folks are on a terror when it comes to posting! Nicely done @chown33 !!!

10. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

I’d like to see most posts in a day. I don’t think that’s covered already.

11. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Only 'cause you'd win! ;)

LOL! :D

12. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

I doubt it! But we are all winners for being part of this great site!

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Why?

Or, rather why do you think this needs to be covered?

14. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Just curious to see I guess.

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

While it could offer an interesting snap-shot of posting habits, I think the time-frame is too short - and subject to the vagaries of life - to offer a useful insight into posting habits.

16. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

I guess it also might give people a target to aim for and encourage meaningless posts.

17. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

This is very true; my recollection is that there used to be far more meaningless (and indeed frivolous) posts in former times, as some individuals sought to increase their post rate (if only to gain entry to areas of the forum denied them).

Perhaps this is still an issue, but my sense is that it is not as pronounced as formerly.

18. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

That would probably even out though.

The mods tend to discourage meaningless posts. I've know, they've mentioned it to me more than once in the warnings they gave me. :)

19. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

They do keep an eye on what they consider to be such posts, and they do weed them out; my sense is that they - such posts - are seen less (which may possibly mean that they are policed more) than was the case in earlier times, and no bad thing, in truth.

Terrific work, @chown33; seriously well done.

20. Clix Pix, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019

Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    It does seem to me that here and on other internet discussion-based forums as well that there are indeed some people who post just for the sake of posting, especially newcomers who are trying to increase their post count for whatever reason..... As I mentioned earlier, back in the old days of Usenet and Bulletin Boards, bandwidth was an issue, never mind wasting other people's time, so that posts that quoted several paragraphs and then simply added, "I agree!" were strongly frowned upon, and equally so were one-liners that really did not contribute to the discussion as a whole and were (and are) considered by most readers as meaningless. Several brief posts all within a short space of time which all say essentially nothing significant or saying something which could have been successfully combined in one post as opposed to three or four definitely were problematic back in the Usenet days and I suspect still are on many of today's current Internet forums. I suppose the crux of the matter is what exactly IS considered "meaningless," and by whom, and in what context.

As an example: if on here I were to announce that I am planning to watch a particular television show this evening and then in two or three or more subsequent additional posts also add the reason in which I'm interested in the show and mention the time frame and then talk about other things tangentially related to the show -- well, IMHO that is probably going to be totally meaningless to most participants on MR, even if I included the info only in one post. This isn't something like members participating in a thread talking about the Grammys or the Golden Globes or the Oscars or another major TV event.....that's in a whole other category. In my example I'm just talking about posting about some ordinary show.

On another forum in which I also participate the information that I am planning to watch said television program and why and such would probably be somewhat more welcome, particularly if it were a forum devoted either to that particular show or to someone who was to make an appearance on it, but even then, two or three posts or more where really one complete one would have done in the first place might again be frowned upon, more related to the time-wasting factor. We all know the internet is a time-sink, a time-thief, that even in spite of the best intentions or the most urgent of other things to do in real time, that it is all too compelling to "just get online for a minute or two...." Funny how that minute or two turns into fifteen, thirty, or more minutes...... Posts do add up, but the question is, do all of them really count (in the sense of actually meaning something) in the overall scheme of things?

Huh, I daresay Usenet trained me well! :)

Oh, and then there are the really wordy ones like me who take up people's time by writing lengthy posts! Guilty as charged.....

21. Scepticalscribe, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, the wordy posts (to quote what you have written) are often interesting to read because they set out (usually reasoned) arguments and reasons and explanations for opinions and thoughts, and do make a valuable - or thoughtful - contribution to whatever discussion or debate is taking place.

And the tone taken in the "wordy" or more lengthy posts, tends to be more reasoned and thoughtful, too, which is a welcome change from snarky one word or one line posts penned by individuals labouring under the delusion that they are "witty".

22. Gutwrench, Jan 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019

Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

More interesting fun with numbers.

The top posting member has 61k posts.
    Assume it takes 10 seconds to post a reply.
    61k(10) is 610k seconds.
    610k/60 is 10,100 minutes.
    10,100/60 is 168 hours.
    168 hours is one solid week of around-the-clock nonstop posting.
    That poster has been here 10 years.
    That’s roughly 16 hours a year in just 10 second replies. :eek:

My numbers must be wrong.

23. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

10 seconds to post a reply? I must type real slow!

24. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Ten second replies?

Not when the system stalls, freezes, crashes, gives rise to double posting and so on. And that is entirely aside form the fact of actually composing a post in reply to something someone else has written.