Top 50 Posters Extrapolated, January 2019

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by chown33, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I’ve kinda had a rocky experience with timeouts. But I’m on the board.

775A4482-D338-4DF7-A6F4-56B6CF0882C3.jpeg

2. Scepticalscribe, Jan 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2019

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Fascinating, @chown33, just fascinating.

Fascinating to see this material expressed in terms of a graph, and fascinating, too, to read it and think on it.

3. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Not to worry as I was spending some “time off”, too!

4. chown33 thread starter macrumors 604

Next time, maybe I should add a few users who haven't reached 5000 posts yet. For comedy science comedy.

5. cmaier macrumors G4

Why do i feel like a lab rat?

6. chown33 thread starter macrumors 604

Look here. :)

7. cmaier macrumors G4

Every time I see cheesy comestibles I feel the urge to post...

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

What would be interesting would be to map how long it takes on average to reach 5,000 posts, and to also track the outliers on arrival at this target (both the swift and those who take their time arriving at this number.)

9. chown33 thread starter macrumors 604

Thanks for the idea. I'm pretty sure I have enough data to do that; I'll have to double-check.

In general, about 20-30 users reach 5000 posts in a 6-month period. There are almost 400 users in the current list, so that's a change of about 5-8% each period. There won't be much visible change in a graph or table, even if I only present it once a year, so if I do it I should probably extract only the new arrivals.

There are probably also at least 20-30 users who stop posting in a 6-month period. That is, they were posting in the prior period, but they've gone inactive in the current period. In the most recent period, there's a total of ~140 users with no posts at all. I don't have the data handy for the prior period, but I can put that together when I get a chance.

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

From the time I joined the forum (in July 2008), I think it may have taken me several years to arrive at the figure of 5,000; perhaps as long as five or six years, although - as is clear - my post rate has increased exponentially ever since then, as I clearly now seem to make around that figure in a six month period.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It would be interesting to see something like a rolling average monthly post rate over time. I'm sure there are plenty of peaks and valleys. I don't recall how much I posted at first, or how long it took to get to 5,000 posts, but there was a period of a lot of activity, then it dropped off sharply.

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

My periods of intensive activity tended to coincide with time I spent at home, where I was responsible for caring for my mother, who passed away last month.

When working abroad, while I still post prolifically, it tends to be at a somewhat reduced rate when compared to (or contrasted with) my posting habits when at home.

13. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

I think the more areas of the forum you use, the more posts you amass. I guess it took me a while as I wasn’t active in many sub forums to start with.

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Some of us post quite a lot in relatively few areas of the forum.

15. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

This is true. Probably three man sub forums for me. But I pop around a few of the others.
    But when I joined I probably did a lot more reading than posting.

16. Clix Pix, Jan 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2019

Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Right....regardless of how many or how few subforums of MR in which a member participates, if they are someone who tends towards brevity, the fact remains that over a period of time writing a lot of one-liner posts does add up the member's post count fairly quickly. Writing two or three or four short posts as opposed to one post which incorporates all the same thoughts and the same information does have an impact on one's post count as well as other people's time, whether or not the member is aware of that or cares one way or the other. In the old days of Usenet this was a Big Deal because of bandwidth and such; now at least that is no longer the case, as most users of the internet have cable or fibre optic connections these days. Members' time spent in reading several one-liners in a row, all by the same person, in a given thread discussion, well.....that may still be an issue for some.

I'm not sure, but I think when someone participates in a thread which is later Wastelanded, that knocks down their post count by however many posts they may have made in that particular thread. PRSI doesn't provide any post count benefits, which is probably a very good thing.

So, what's the big prize for having the highest post count? :)

17. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

After 6.5 years, I have finally made the 'cool' (read: Internet geek) graph status list. I don't know if I should be proud or concerned about all the hours. :D. Fun to read the charts.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

None, other than a lot of criticism.

19. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

Aw, shucks -- no big financial prize, no award from a prestigious academy of some sort, no standing ovation from one's peers?

So what's the point, then, in aiming for this, if in fact anyone actually is? (If they are, one has to wonder about them, then, eh?)

20. GGJstudios, Jan 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2019

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I never checked this before, but here's what I found about my post distribution. Of my posts in 71 sub-forums:
    28.6% are in the top 1.
    52.7% are in the top 3.
    90.6% are in the top 12.

92% are in Mac-related forums.
    2% are in iOS device related forums.
    6% are in other forums.

34 total posts in PRSI.

21. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

I don't even have to look at my profile to know where I hang out or have hung out the most through the years -- Digital Photography, absolutely (albeit waxing-and-waning; right now I'm active again there), and also at different times, depending upon my interest at a given time: the MacBook Pro subforum, the MacBook subforum, the iMac subforum, etc., etc..... Oh, and yes, of course, the iPhone subforum as well. Also over the last year and a half or so have hung out in one subforum in the Privates, too. I should go take a look at my profile, as there probably are some surprises there for me, too......

22. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I never aimed for it. I just spent a lot of time answering questions. You help enough people, the posts add up.

23. chown33 thread starter macrumors 604

Don't let GutWrench see this, but I can send you a scone.

24. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

:mad:

25. chown33 thread starter macrumors 604

I'm impressed. That took waaay less time than I thought it would. And I didn't even use an @ mark.