Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
They won't say anything as they keep seeing record sales for the iPhone. Just about the dollars. As for me I will switch to Verizon or sprint. Att can keep their unlimited plan. But they will be missing my $200 a month.

I can't see Steve Jobs or anyone else at Apple being happy that people can't use their iPhones with AT$T if they hit 2GB as anything more than a dumbphone for half a month unless they are on WIFI. I wonder if Android phones are getting throttled too?

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I can't see Steve Jobs or anyone else at Apple being happy that people can't use their iPhones with AT$T if they hit 2GB as anything more than a dumbphone for half a month unless they are on WIFI. I wonder if Android phones are getting throttled too?

Something tells me that Steve Jobs stopped caring a little while ago...

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I wonder if Android phones are getting throttled too?

They are.

----------

Thats about average...

I did have veeeeery high usage this summer as I was moving and didn't have home internet... thus plenty of MyWi (once or twice above 10gb in a month but usually 2-4...) I got a notice about it (End of Sept billing cycle) and have since stopped completely.... but even with such a substantial monthly spend they're still threatening to throttle the second i go over 2gb... WTF

How in God's name do you have a $600+ bill every month?

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
How in God's name do you have a $600+ bill every month?

Probably because it's an enterprise plan set up for 4 phones with international roaming.

ivandr said:
I guess their capping the unlimited to 2GB now... little point in taking my extra $5.
You marginally exceeded the 2GB tier on at least one line in your screenshot. Under AT&T's current terms for tiered data, that slip-up would cost you an extra $10 that month. Even one byte above the 2GB mark would cost the same $10.

How often do you come marginally close to edging over the 2GB mark? Each and every time that happens, you'll be penalized with a $10 overage fee.

After you opt out of your grandfathered data plan, you'll save $5 per line per month in baseline fees. One month accidentally slipping up and consuming 2GB+1B will cost you an extra $10, effectively wiping out two months' worth of savings. Overall, if you stay below 2GB more than 50% of the time, then the $5 savings from switching to a tiered data plan would be worthwhile. On the other hand, if you creep 1 byte over 2GB more than 50% of the time, then you'll pay less by sticking with the grandfathered plan.

ivandr

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
Probably because it's an enterprise plan set up for 4 phones with international roaming.
Correct. Actually 5 lines... at least 3 of them are used 50/50 in and out of the country.

You marginally exceeded the 2GB tier on at least one line in your screenshot. Under AT&T's current terms for tiered data, that slip-up would cost you an extra $10 that month. Even one byte above the 2GB mark would cost the same $10.

How often do you come marginally close to edging over the 2GB mark? Each and every time that happens, you'll be penalized with a $10 overage fee.

After you opt out of your grandfathered data plan, you'll save $5 per line per month in baseline fees. One month accidentally slipping up and consuming 2GB+1B will cost you an extra $10, effectively wiping out two months' worth of savings. Overall, if you stay below 2GB more than 50% of the time, then the $5 savings from switching to a tiered data plan would be worthwhile. On the other hand, if you creep 1 byte over 2GB more than 50% of the time, then you'll pay less by sticking with the grandfathered plan.

No you're right... I was simply venting... I have no plans of letting go of unlimited data unless AT7T pries it from my cold dead hands lol. if I'm paying more than the 2Gb tier costs one could expect to get a little more data before they throttle back. Logic says that if 2GB = $25, a $30 plan should offer at least (2Gb/$25)*$30=2.4Gb before starting to throttle... but again thats thinking logically... something we know AT&T isn't capable of... I'm up and over 2 gb most months as you can see below... the drop in Jan-Apr corresponds to time when I was out of the country for more of each month than I was here... The summer months show when I used MyWi... I wonder when I started ;)

But I got a tethering notice in Oct so I haven't tethered since... last month as you can see I used 3.7 GB but received no warning of any kind... yet this month as soon as I hit 2Gb... BAM. Warned.

Attachments

• Past Usage.png
    Past Usage.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 73

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
And you sir are the 5%... I have a family plan with all iphones, all my buddies have iphones.. NONE of them ever watch netflix in there phones... who does? Oh, well you do, some do, maybe.. 5% do?

Again, your basis is off of....what you and your buddies do? You're joking, right? I just state the utter stupidity in telling someone they are crazy or different for usage that fits them...but not you. And your response is that because your buddies do something, others shouldn't?

Setting aside the fact that Netflix iPhone app is consistently one of the most popular free apps (as is WatchESPN, Hulu, etc...)....and setting aside the fact that these apps are getting more and more and more users.....I am the crazy % person because I use the popular apps (and not even that much)?

Where exactly do you get even the slightest bit of sense is that idiotic argument? You see poster after poster on here alone stating that they themselves or a family member or someone FOUND a movie app that they then use.

Oh, and then people get mad at those with no wifi everywhere they go. How dare they!

Again, why everyone in this country doesn't have the EXACT likes, uses, needs, etc...as some posters here shows how lazy these others must be. If someone has Wifi at work, home, etc....everyone should and thus that is the end of it

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Again, your basis is off of....what you and your buddies do? You're joking, right? I just state the utter stupidity in telling someone they are crazy or different for usage that fits them...but not you. And your response is that because your buddies do something, others shouldn't?

Setting aside the fact that Netflix iPhone app is consistently one of the most popular free apps (as is WatchESPN, Hulu, etc...)....and setting aside the fact that these apps are getting more and more and more users.....I am the crazy % person because I use the popular apps (and not even that much)?

Where exactly do you get even the slightest bit of sense is that idiotic argument? You see poster after poster on here alone stating that they themselves or a family member or someone FOUND a movie app that they then use.

Oh, and then people get mad at those with no wifi everywhere they go. How dare they!

Again, why everyone in this country doesn't have the EXACT likes, uses, needs, etc...as some posters here shows how lazy these others must be. If someone has Wifi at work, home, etc....everyone should and thus that is the end of it
Apparently you can't see or won't accept that those in the top 5% are being subsidized by the other 95%. Of course you're OK with that and get defensive when it is threatened. But it's time to face reality that that is soon coming to an end.

I dropped my unlimited plan because I was tired of subsidizing those using far more data than I ever did--often more in one month than I use in an entire year. I couldn't care less why they used so much data. As more and more of us leave unlimited, along with natural attrition and the fact that unlimited has been gone for a year and a half, the high consumption unlimited plan subscribers will stand out more and more.

Michael

theman510

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
New Jersey
Just wanted to contribute...

I'm on AT&T and I got my notification about being in the top 5% maybe a week ago. I am at 2.06GB according to AT&T.com

I just ran speedtest and my DL speed is an astonishing .06 Mbps w/ .75Mbps upload.

This is completely ridiculous and I'm pretty angry at this. I am grandfathered in w/ an unlimited plan.

I know posting here won't solve anything but I'm just pissed and need to vent. AAAAAAGHHHHH :mad:

chreesto

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
1.5 GB throttling notice!!!! Virgin mobile and androiD here I come!

Seriously. I can't take this absurd wireless structure anymore. Switching to virgin and giving up my beloved iPhone. Probably. Maybe. God damnit iPhone, I wish I knew how to quit you.

YellowStarS2000

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2009
Update:
I got 2 calls from AT&T regarding my FCC complaint. Haven't called them back yet, but hopefully they're getting heat from the FCC! Everyone put in your complaints!
I'll update when I call them back.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
I am very interested to hear what your outcome is. :)

My guess:
"In accordance with the FCC, we are willing to let you out of your contract without an ETF within the next 5 business days. After the set time frame, your 'Unlimited Data' plan will be changed to a 2GB Data plan and you will be billed accordingly."

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
Seriously. I can't take this absurd wireless structure anymore. Switching to virgin and giving up my beloved iPhone. Probably. Maybe. God damnit iPhone, I wish I knew how to quit you.

Good luck on Virgin Mobile, I had them back when they had the $25/mo plan and couldn't handle the bad coverage, bad data speeds, and mediocre phone selection. Maybe that has changed though...

ahfu25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
This is ********! I'm at 1.6 gb and I got a text stating I'm approaching the top 5%. So this 2gb theory is indeed true. The most data I have ever used was some where near 3gb and Im always steady around 1.5 - 2.5 gb. This is getting me really upset. I have 10 days left in my cycle and I can almost guarantee I will go over 2gb. I won't affect me for that long but whats the point of having LIMITED data. I won't go as far as to say I would leave at&t because every company has its problems, none are perfect. But I am indeed upset about it. :mad::mad::mad:

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
This is ********! I'm at 1.6 gb and I got a text stating I'm approaching the top 5%. So this 2gb theory is indeed true. The most data I have ever used was some where near 3gb and Im always steady around 1.5 - 2.5 gb. This is getting me really upset. I have 10 days left in my cycle and I can almost guarantee I will go over 2gb. I won't affect me for that long but whats the point of having LIMITED data. I won't go as far as to say I would leave at&t because every company has its problems, none are perfect. But I am indeed upset about it. :mad::mad::mad:

What application is it that is using all that data for you?

Pandora?
Netflix?
Youtube?

ahfu25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
What application is it that is using all that data for you?

Pandora?
Netflix?
Youtube?

Don't use pandora or netflix, youtube once in a while. Mostly stream music videos from a few different wedbsites and also videos on espn.com

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
Don't use pandora or netflix, youtube once in a while. Mostly stream music videos from a few different wedbsites and also videos on espn.com

Ah yes... streaming... makes sense :)

Att basically is saying "dont stream over 3G or we will throttle you", so now it's up to people who stream to adjust your usage and either A) stop streaming over 3G or B) stream over wifi. Of course it was much easier not to have to care at all and stream gb's of data all the time but times change and we have to now adjust accordingly...

ahfu25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
Ah yes... streaming... makes sense :)

Att basically is saying "dont stream over 3G or we will throttle you", so now it's up to people who stream to adjust your usage and either A) stop streaming over 3G or B) stream over wifi. Of course it was much easier not to have to care at all and stream gb's of data all the time but times change and we have to now adjust accordingly...

We pay for unlimited data so why can't we use it how we please. I don't abuse it, I mean there are some people who use more than 5gb, even up to 10 and 15 gb! On the flip side of this I bet if I was on a tiered data plan, lets say 2gb, They probably won't text me that I'm getting close to the top 5%. They would let me keep using data and charge me for the overage! I call B#LL*****!!!

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
We pay for unlimited data so why can't we use it how we please. I don't abuse it, I mean there are some people who use more than 5gb, even up to 10 and 15 gb! On the flip side of this I bet if I was on a tiered data plan, lets say 2gb, They probably won't text me that I'm getting close to the top 5%. They would let me keep using data and charge me for the overage! I call B#LL*****!!!

You can actually request to be receive a text when you get close. Also, the guy using the 5, 10, or 15gb is going to make the same argument; "why me, there are people that use more". AT&T chose 2GB apparently (which doesn't seem the case with everyone so... /shrug). I am sure we will eventually have a lawsuit that decides the outcome of all this. Either that, AT&T will win in the end, even if they are required to give all of their current unlimited users the option to get out of contract.

ahfu25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
You can actually request to be receive a text when you get close. Also, the guy using the 5, 10, or 15gb is going to make the same argument; "why me, there are people that use more". AT&T chose 2GB apparently (which doesn't seem the case with everyone so... /shrug). I am sure we will eventually have a lawsuit that decides the outcome of all this. Either that, AT&T will win in the end, even if they are required to give all of their current unlimited users the option to get out of contract.

You have a point but there is a big difference between 2gb and 15gb!! Those are the people who are at fault for throttling IMO.

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
We pay for unlimited data so why can't we use it how we please. I don't abuse it, I mean there are some people who use more than 5gb, even up to 10 and 15 gb!

At&t is basically saying "you can have unlimited data as long as your not taxing the system by streaming over 3G".

It's up to you to adjust to this change, nothing stays the same forever and the good times of streaming over 3G are O.V.E.R. ;)

Put MP3's on your phone instead of streaming music and come up with different ways to occupy your time besides streaming videos over 3G...

On the flip side of this I bet if I was on a tiered data plan, lets say 2gb, They probably won't text me that I'm getting close to the top 5%. They would let me keep using data and charge me for the overage! I call B#LL*****!!!

You can have a text sent to you when you get to a certain amount of data.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
You have a point but there is a big difference between 2gb and 15gb!! Those are the people who are at fault for throttling IMO.

It's easy to point blame. I would argue they are not the only ones at "fault". If they were, ATT would throttle them, but not you, since you don't use that much.

----------

lol....You guys sound like advocates for at&t.

Who is advocating here? The last couple dozen posts I only see truths being told. People simply are saying what is happening, why it is happening, and what can be done to avoid being throttled.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.