Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Tell me the difference in unlimited versus truly unlimited.

You know as well as I do that the word "unlimited" means something different for each carrier. Sprint says they offer "Truly" Unlimited which means no throttling. So everyone who doesn't like AT&T's unlimited plan should go to them. End of story.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
Yeah well no one said life was fair. The fact is this is what you agreed to when you signed your contract. They have every right to throttle and maintain their network.

I don't understand why people just don't switch to Sprint which advertises "TRULY UNLIMITED DATA." This is what everyone wants isn't it?

This was the part I found interesting.
AND YOU MAY TERMINATE THIS AGREEMENT WITHOUT PAYING AN EARLY TERMINATION FEE OR RETURNING OR PAYING FOR ANY PROMOTIONAL ITEMS

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Dude I just got throttled today. I have the unlimited plan and got throttled at 2.1 gigabytes. How is that abusing it? AT&T is ripping us off

AT&T has got to have "some" point at which they limit their users or some would take advantage to the point the network would be unusable for use all. No doubt that you feel that AT&T is mistreating you but a limit has got to be established at some point.

Slowing the top 5% of the bandwidth users down just does not seem that unfair. This means that 95% are using less than YOU are , take it as a hint!:eek:

----------

Tell me the difference in unlimited versus truly unlimited.

Sprint is a bottom feeder doing what it can to elevate it's numbers. "Truely Unlimited will NOT last forever. It matters not to me as when I had Sprint I lost service outside of any city. Not going to enjoy unlimited data then!

----------

How can you say that? What do you work for AT&T or something. If you pay for something and you don't get what you originally agreed upon, you have every right to be upset and demand remedy

You really must be living in a rose garden. Life is not so simple. You need to read your contract again or have someone do it for you and explain what it means.

Vaughn Logan

Jan 20, 2012
at&t has got to have "some" point at which they limit their users or some would take advantage to the point the network would be unusable for use all. No doubt that you feel that at&t is mistreating you but a limit has got to be established at some point.

Not When AT&T Is Selling And Taking Money For An UNLIMITED Plan

----------

Yeah well no one said life was fair. The fact is this is what you agreed to when you signed your contract. They have every right to throttle and maintain their network.

I don't understand why people just don't switch to Sprint which advertises "TRULY UNLIMITED DATA." This is what everyone wants isn't it?

“Unlimited” is defined by Merriam-Webster as:

1. lacking any controls : unrestricted
2. boundless, infinite

----------

"Unlimited" means lacking any controls, unrestricted, boundless, and/or infinite. "Capping" or "Throttling" means "Imposed Limits"

By Pure Definition, AT&T cannot sell an Unlimited Service by imposing limits.

Last edited:

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
You can thank all the bandwidth hogs for that one. And when you signed up you agreed that AT&T can change their terms and conditions any time they want.

If it was because of the bandwidth hogs and not about money, AT&T would simply target those who abuse it (over 10GB) and not those who use the same (or less) than the tiers they offer.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
AT&T has got to have "some" point at which they limit their users or some would take advantage to the point the network would be unusable for use all. No doubt that you feel that AT&T is mistreating you but a limit has got to be established at some point.

Slowing the top 5% of the bandwidth users down just does not seem that unfair. This means that 95% are using less than YOU are , take it as a hint!:eek:

----------

Sprint is a bottom feeder doing what it can to elevate it's numbers. "Truely Unlimited will NOT last forever. It matters not to me as when I had Sprint I lost service outside of any city. Not going to enjoy unlimited data then!

----------

You really must be living in a rose garden. Life is not so simple. You need to read your contract again or have someone do it for you and explain what it means.

You obviously have no understanding of contract law. I understand what it means fully, it appears that you have a misunderstanding or a personal reason to be obscuring the truth.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
You obviously have no understanding of contract law. I understand what it means fully, it appears that you have a misunderstanding or a personal reason to be obscuring the truth.

No, you are wrong. I have read it quite carefully and understand it all to well. I wish you good luck on your quest!

Do not let the "Windmill" knock you down while flailing at it!:p

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
Unlimited user = person A.
Tiered user = person B.

"Dude I just got throttled for using 1.4GB." -A.

"Servves u rite ur abusing th network an sluwing every1 dawn" -Brainwashed.

"Wow I've used 4GB of my plan out of 5GB and I'm not throttled." -B.

"cuz ur not abusing ur data an sluwing every1 dawn." - Brainwashed.

That is what is happening right now in this very forum.

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
I don't get those people that are defending ATT and blaming the users. :confused: On an unlimited plan, there should be some semblance of unlimited or at the very least it needs to be better than a capped plan. Don't you see something wrong with an unlimited plan that throttles you so early, and makes it almost equivalent to a 2 GB capped plan? Stop defending these companies...they make money off of you, and you owe them nothing!

SDRacerR1

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2009
I don't get those people that are defending ATT and blaming the users. :confused: On an unlimited plan, there should be some semblance of unlimited or at the very least it needs to be better than a capped plan. Don't you see something wrong with an unlimited plan that throttles you so early, and makes it almost equivalent to a 2 GB capped plan? Stop defending these companies...they make money off of you, and you owe them nothing!

EXACTLY!!!! I just got throttled today, I have used so far 2375.28MB that equals 3505.95 for a 31 day billing period...THAT IS LESS THAN THE TOP TIERED PLAN of 5gb, and BARELY over the 3gb plan. If you're going to throttle people, shouldn't they be using more than the 5gb top tier??

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
If it was because of the bandwidth hogs and not about money, AT&T would simply target those who abuse it (over 10GB) and not those who use the same (or less) than the tiers they offer.

Because if it was at 10GB they throttled then more and more would use up to 10GB. And to those comparing the unlimited plan to the tiered plan, why not switch to it since its so much better than the unlimited plan now anyway?

Though no one will and they'll keep complaining and complaining. You tough guys should show AT&T who is boss and stick it to em'.

All sarcasm aside, GO TO SPRINT!!!!! It's really not that hard. Sell your iPhone and use that to pay the ETF and presto your done. But in the mean time shut up about the throttling.

Vaughn Logan

Jan 20, 2012
Two Important Points

1. Be Sure To File An "Informal Complaint" vs. a "Formal Complaint". An Informal Complaints Insures That There Is No Cost To You. A Formal Complaint Is Used To Lay The Groundwork For A Law Suit ... Big $$$.

2. Be Sure To Use The Term "Violations of Policies That Are In Development". This Covers Grey Area Which Are Yet To Be Defined Under Current Laws.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
  1. Be Sure To File An "Informal Complaint" vs. a "Formal Complaint". An Informal Complaints Insures That There Is No Cost To You. A Formal Complaint Is Used To Lay The Groundwork For A Law Suit ... Big $$$.

2. Be Sure To Use The Term "Violations of Policies That Are In Development". This Covers Grey Area Which Are Yet To Be Defined Under Current Laws.

You should really go to SPRINT.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
I believe that AT&T has knowingly misled their customer base by falsely offering an “Unlimited Data Plan” to capture early market-share. To now compensate, AT&T is now imposing intentional and substantial data limits. I believe that AT&T has oversubscribed their network capabilities while failing to upgrade their network capacities to support current market demand. We the customers are left holding-the-bag because AT&T has failed in the proper “Capacity Planning” and “Capacity Execution” of their network.

Except they haven't offered an unlimited data plan on smartphones for years and it plainly states in the contract that YOU SIGNED that they can change the terms as needed and, if you don't agree to the new terms, they will gladly waive the ETF to release you from said contract.

They announced the new terms back in July, they made it clear that they were going to throttle some at or below the 2GB mark, you chose to stay anyway, and are now upset when it actually happens...

Feel free to recheck your contract for the fine print that says they can change the terms as needed.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
ENOUGH OF THESE THREADS!!!!! Why don't you cry babies go to Verizon????!!!

Slow, expensive, limited data plans. No possibility of simultaneous voice and data. Terrible customer service. I'd have to buy a new phone.

Except they haven't offered an unlimited data plan on smartphones for years and it plainly states in the contract that YOU SIGNED that they can change the terms as needed and, if you don't agree to the new terms, they will gladly waive the ETF to release you from said contract.

They announced the new terms back in July, they made it clear that they were going to throttle some at or below the 2GB mark, you chose to stay anyway, and are now upset when it actually happens...

Feel free to recheck your contract for the fine print that says they can change the terms as needed.

They may have signed the agreement and AT&T may not be breaking any laws. That's not really the point. The point here is that they advertised unlimited plans and now they are limiting those with unlimited plans. If the plans had any limits at all, or might have become limited in the future, then they never should have been advertised as unlimited. Whether or not these people signed their agreements is irrelevant. It's morally wrong of AT&T to advertise unlimited and then limit customers who sign two year contracts under those false pretenses.

Instead of "you signed the agreement" or "they announced new terms", maybe you should try to argue AT&T's side from a moral standpoint and try to logically explain why it's OK for them to call a plan "unlimited", rope in tens of millions of customers under false pretenses and then change the plans and start limiting those customers. You can't. It's not moral. It's not ethical; it is wrong. It's false advertisement. The contract agreement is a tool of deception. AT&T knows no one reads it, so they put their dirty, immoral, unethical fine print in there. They use this premeditated deception to maximize their profitability so that they can make the value of their stock go up a fraction of a point.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I like the people that say "well nothing we can do about it. Oh well"

At my work we refer to those customers as suckers. Lol

In all honesty that is the WORST mentality to have. Don't think it's just AT&T walking on you, that usually in every aspect of those people's lives.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Slow, expensive, limited data plans. No possibility of simultaneous voice and data. Terrible customer service. I'd have to buy a new phone.

They may have signed the agreement and AT&T may not be breaking any laws. That's not really the point. The point here is that they advertised unlimited plans and now they are limiting those with unlimited plans. If the plans had any limits at all, or might have become limited in the future, then they never should have been advertised as unlimited. Whether or not these people signed their agreements is irrelevant. It's morally wrong of AT&T to advertise unlimited and then limit customers who sign two year contracts under those false pretenses.

Instead of "you signed the agreement" or "they announced new terms", maybe you should try to argue AT&T's side from a moral standpoint and try to logically explain why it's OK for them to call a plan "unlimited", rope in tens of millions of customers under false pretenses and then change the plans and start limiting those customers. You can't. It's not moral. It's not ethical; it is wrong. It's false advertisement. The contract agreement is a tool of deception. AT&T knows no one reads it, so they put their dirty, immoral, unethical fine print in there. They use this premeditated deception to maximize their profitability so that they can make the value of their stock go up a fraction of a point.

Ok ya don't want Sprint, then switch to a tiered plan. AT&T has to throttle so they can maintain their network. Though I don't agree with throttling at 2GB, it is what it is and people b******* about all day on here won't get anything accomplished. I would gladly take slow speeds then paying $10/GB, but that's me. If speed is important to you then switch your plan already and pay for additional unthrottled data.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
They may have signed the agreement and AT&T may not be breaking any laws. That's not really the point.

Actually, yes, that is the point. People can complain all they want, but AT&T has the right to do as they please. If you don't like it, there are other companies who will be happy to take your money instead.

Complaining here, on AT&T's forums, or to the FCC won't get you anywhere. If you didn't like the throttling when they announced it back in July, you could have left - without an ETF.

This has nothing to do with morals or what you think is right or wrong. It's their company and the contract gives them the right to change things as they see fit. It's simply naive to think that they wouldn't use that to their own advantage as they saw fit.... especially when the writing was on the wall last July when they announced their intents.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Actually, yes, that is the point. People can complain all they want, but AT&T has the right to do as they please. If you don't like it, there are other companies who will be happy to take your money instead.

Complaining here, on AT&T's forums, or to the FCC won't get you anywhere. If you didn't like the throttling when they announced it back in July, you could have left - without an ETF.

This has nothing to do with morals or what you think is right or wrong. It's their company and the contract gives them the right to change things as they see fit. It's simply naive to think that they wouldn't use that to their own advantage as they saw fit.... especially when the writing was on the wall last July when they announced their intents.

+1. Well said.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006

When a company does things that we find unethical, immoral, and borderline illegal, we complain about it. Why are you on this warpath trying to get people to stop complaining about something on the internet? What difference does it really make to you? By your logic, you should be leaving this forum for another forum. Instead here you are.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
When a company does things that we find unethical, immoral, and borderline illegal, we complain about it.

No, most people would prefer to do something productive about it.

If you don't like AT&T's policies, hit them where it hurts and leave to another provider. If enough people follow suit, they will get the point.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
No, most people would prefer to do something productive about it.

If you don't like AT&T's policies, hit them where it hurts and leave to another provider. If enough people follow suit, they will get the point.

We don't want to switch providers because we prefer AT&T to the other guys. We want to improve upon our current provider in order to get a better experience for the money.

I am not going to switch to T-Mobile because I want to use an iPhone with a fast internet connection. I don't want Sprint or Verizon because on them, iPhones have slow, limited bandwidth data connections and no capability to do simultaneous voice & data. AT&T gives me the best deal for my money and the best performance out there for iPhones, given my arbitrary tolerance for dropped calls and bad coverage. I want to remove the new limits which have been shoehorned into my contract and agreement, which I am aware they had the right to do. I want to remove these new limitations regardless of their legitimacy and legality. I want them to remove the new restrictions because I feel it is the morally correct decision to make, and because it could potentially save me money and provide me a more desirable experience.

People like me are not here to file a complaint with AT&T. People like me are here to spread our opinion with other AT&T users so that maybe we can bring more attention to it.

Last edited:

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
People like me are not here to file a complaint with AT&T. People like me are here to spread our opinion with other AT&T users so that maybe we can bring more attention to it.

I suggest you reread the OP since filing a complaint with AT&T and the FCC is exactly what this thread was created for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.