Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Top Five Reasons to Buy a HomePod Mini

steve09090

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
Q: I like to play music on my iPhone. Can I handoff music directly to the Echo?

I used to have 6 rooms set up using Airplay via Airport Express and ceiling speakers; it worked flawlessly. As far as I can see, I can only ask Echo to play an album or artists. When I want to Airplay something what other options are there other than this?

steve09090

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
1: Thread & Using as a Home Hub
2: U1 Chip and Knowing how to set up a particular space for individuals
3: Handoff made easy
4: Being able to message no matter where you are (intercom from the car, or from somewhere in the house)
5: Reasonable sound. And despite all the whinging over 6 pages of comments, this is NOT supposed to replace an audiophiles systems.

Reactions: ErikGrim

MacBH928

Contributor
May 17, 2008
Homepod competitive edge was the privacy of Siri, but if Siri is still going to record my voice and send to Apple HQ might as well use the better and more affordable Alexa and Google assistant

steve09090

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
Homepod competitive edge was the privacy of Siri, but if Siri is still going to record my voice and send to Apple HQ might as well use the better and more affordable Alexa and Google assistant

Like setting up an iPhone, you get a choice of whether you are prepared to have a recording sent for analysis (without any identifying details attached). You are not being actively listened to like Echo and Google. You don’t even have to have the recordings sent. Totally your choice = Privacy. Of course tin foil hat conspiracy theorists will say otherwise, but Apple have no reason to find out where you are spending the weekend Unlike Google.

steve09090

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
I’m confused about using HomePod minis as a home theater system with Apple TV. I already have a sound bar connected to my Apple TV. Can I use 2 HomePod minis as rear speakers that will only produce sound for rear channels, or will it just reproduce sound coming from the sound bar? In other words, will you get the same sound everywhere, or individual sounds (like 5.1 surround sound) using the sound bar as a front channel and 2 HomePod minis as rear channels?

I’m pretty sure this is meant to work with home pod and not supposed to be an addition to an already added third party device. And I doubt it would be optimised as a specific speaker type. It's not the way Apple make devices.

steve09090

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
If Apple could do a deal with BBC Radio in the UK they would sell loads, i would definitely buy one if they did.

Unfortunately i don't think it will happen any time soon.

it will support Tune-In Radio later in the year, which has BBC radio in their list

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
This post doesn't make sense. Siri was never locally processed from day one. Always sent voice requests to Apple HQ. So if you were under the mistaken impression that Siri was processed locally, then I understand your point.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
One reason not to buy it:

IT ISN’T AVAILABLE IN MY LANGUAGE. I’d have one by now. Still waiting for my homepod to speak my language. Not going to make the same mistake twice, even for 99 dollars
Hey, Siri do you speak-a my language?

She just smiled and googled a vegemite sandwich

WhoDaKat

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
I’m only posting this to drive haters crazy, but I’m buying 5 of these things on day 1. Have 2 HomePods now and love them. Intercom in every room, plus no Google or Amazon selling my personal data to the highest bidder, is most definitely worth $99.

Attachments

• BFAADDD0-70B4-4C2A-B524-AF51ACBAEBEB.jpeg
    BFAADDD0-70B4-4C2A-B524-AF51ACBAEBEB.jpeg
    96.7 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: steve09090

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
This is one part of the apple ecosystem I haven’t and probably won’t by into. I have so many Alexa devices...and there are so many different types.... from the Echo flex and the assistant built into my echobee to cheap dots to echo show and studio.... not to mention the skills... Apple dropped the ball with HomeKit being so limited. I’m not going to replace non HomeKit compatible switches that work just fine with Alexa/google.

Reactions: WilliamDu

simon3163

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2009
Not trying to troll, but for me the only reason I can‘t see myself buying any HomePods is Siri and her favorite “Here’s what I’ve found” answer to everything I ask, followed by a complete silence until I look down at my screen to see web search results. I’m wondering how that works on a HomePod..
She now sends information direct to the iphone of the person requesting the info.

Duncan-UK

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2006
1: Thread & Using as a Home Hub
2: U1 Chip and Knowing how to set up a particular space for individuals
3: Handoff made easy
4: Being able to message no matter where you are (intercom from the car, or from somewhere in the house)
5: Reasonable sound. And despite all the whinging over 6 pages of comments, this is NOT supposed to replace an audiophiles systems.

Nice strawman there re audiophile sound.

It's perfectly reasonable to have reservations about the sound given the hype that Apple attached to the original HomePod. Given how limited/poor Siri is in carrying out instructions, and how Apple dont appear to think including a syntax sheet, or any flexibility is with regard to addressing Siri, if you take away the sound quality what are you left with? Nothing that you couldn't do on a phone or iPad in terms of home automation.

steve09090

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
Thats interesting and very good news, how do you know this.
Have a look in paragraph 4

That makes no sense...
It's perfectly reasonable to have reservations about the sound given the hype that Apple attached to the original HomePod. Given how limited/poor Siri is in carrying out instructions, and how Apple dont appear to think including a syntax sheet, or any flexibility is with regard to addressing Siri, if you take away the sound quality what are you left with? Nothing that you couldn't do on a phone or iPad in terms of home automation.

Sure, Siri is limited, but please tell me how an iPad can work as a Home Hub?
Tell me how you can send an audio directly to someone from a car to the home (other than imessage)?

Apple said in its keynote thats it’s not a competitor with the HomePod.

gk4

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2010
This is one part of the apple ecosystem I haven’t and probably won’t by into. I have so many Alexa devices...and there are so many different types.... from the Echo flex and the assistant built into my echobee to cheap dots to echo show and studio.... not to mention the skills... Apple dropped the ball with HomeKit being so limited. I’m not going to replace non HomeKit compatible switches that work just fine with Alexa/google.

That's the definition of vendor lock in. I started building my SmartHome when my main device was a Pixel, with no foreseeable plan to move to iOS, but I still don't have a single device in my house that doesn't support all three. Likewise, I'm currently using an aTV as my homekit hub and am running all iOS devices - but I won't by a single bulb, switch or button that only supports homekit (like the Eve stuff).

People try to act like there is a cost to homekit support, but the cheapest gear I'm able to find is Ikea stuff. You can get any bulb (including GU10 and filament style) for under $10. Switches/remotes for $7. A motion sensor for $10.

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
I didn't think the mini's could be used with ATV as a stereo pair?

I must have misunderstood that then, my plan was to move the our two non-mini's to the mantle to replace our soundbar, and put the mini's in their old places.

I guess options are good, we can try the mini's in that location which might fit in the space better.

Duncan-UK

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2006
Have a look in paragraph 4

That makes no sense...

Sure, Siri is limited, but please tell me how an iPad can work as a Home Hub?
Tell me how you can send an audio directly to someone from a car to the home (other than imessage)?

Apple said in its keynote thats it’s not a competitor with the HomePod.

I was under the impression that things such as intercom were being rolled out so you could use an iOS device to send and receive voice messages using Siri.

fwilers

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2017
Washington
... you don't think Apple is listening, despite being busted last year for doing just that?
First they said Siri doesn't record ANYTHING, then they said Siri only records ACTIVE requests for quality assurance, then they said their iOS API's prevented other apps from listening in without notifying you. Well they lied, they lied again after getting caught lying the first time, and last week I was presented with ads for rotary sushi restaurants on four separate apps that were not running at that time an hour after mentioning it in a phone conversation. I HATE sushi, I haven't discussed, searched for or even thought about sushi let alone restaurants that serve it rotary style in years, which is how that topic came up in conversation as I was discussing how a place that used to be popular in high school was shutting down because of dropping sales blamed on the Rona. But please, Apple, tell me again how Siri and iOS protect my "privacy."

Alexa devices have a hard button on the top to mute their mics completely. I don't see that functionality anywhere on the HomePod line, hardware or software based. If you're placing a a smart speaker in your home, you need to accept that your conversations are going to be recorded and used for marketing purposes etc. If you cannot abide this, don't get a smart speaker, but at least don't kid yourself into thinking Apple is any different than Amazon in regards to this issue because they've already lied a couple times about it.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/28/apple-apologizes-for-listening-to-siri-conversations.html

You are assuming it's IOS or Siri. You have other apps on your phone. Anything with Google, or any news apps, etc can and will deliver you adds from what it hears. I had same issue until I uninstalled Chrome. Even with permissions changed, I would have to kill Chrome to make sure it wasn't listening. Easier to uninstall. Same with Flipboard because I used a gmail account to sign up with it.

fwilers

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2017
Washington
I don’t understand ARC very well.. If it was added to Apple TV, what kind of setup would that allow? What would be connected to what?

Think of ARC like a hub to connect all devices to one location and then send the video or audio to another device with one cable.
So for instance, you can connect all devices to TV and then have one hdmi cable go to a sound bar and all controlled with one remote.
Or all devices connected to a receiver and then one cable going to your TV, but if you use an app on your TV, then sound can also go back over that one cable to your receiver for sound.

subjonas

macrumors 68030
Feb 10, 2014
Think of ARC like a hub to connect all devices to one location and then send the video or audio to another device with one cable.
So for instance, you can connect all devices to TV and then have one hdmi cable go to a sound bar and all controlled with one remote.
Or all devices connected to a receiver and then one cable going to your TV, but if you use an app on your TV, then sound can also go back over that one cable to your receiver for sound.
So if arc was added to Apple TV as xyz01 mentioned, then the Apple TV would be the hub and would therefore need several hdmi ports to plug into other players and a receiver for example?

fwilers

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2017
Washington
So if arc was added to Apple TV as xyz01 mentioned, then the Apple TV would be the hub and would therefore need several hdmi ports to plug into other players and a receiver for example?

Yes, but that would never happen because there really is no need as TV's, receivers, and soundbars already have it. The Apple TV does not have an interface to control other devices, nor does it have any amp, and there's no way Apple is going to add thousands of 3rd party devices anyway like a Logitech remote.

But if you wanted apps on TV, or something like a blueray player connected to your TV to route sound out through an Apple TV and then to HomePod, then that would make more sense. (The sync delay may cause issue with wireless to homepod). The Apple TV would have to be smart enough to know when you want to switch though so you wouldn't have to use two remotes. It could work, but not elegant enough solution for Apple to worry about.

Reactions: subjonas

MiamiC70

Suspended
Oct 16, 2011
Yes, but that would never happen because there really is no need as TV's, receivers, and soundbars already have it. The Apple TV does not have an interface to control other devices, nor does it have any amp, and there's no way Apple is going to add thousands of 3rd party devices anyway like a Logitech remote.

But if you wanted apps on TV, or something like a blueray player connected to your TV to route sound out through an Apple TV and then to HomePod, then that would make more sense. (The sync delay may cause issue with wireless to homepod). The Apple TV would have to be smart enough to know when you want to switch though so you wouldn't have to use two remotes. It could work, but not elegant enough solution for Apple to worry about.
Bruh, NO one want's a Blu-ray player or any media connected to anything anymore. Digital is where it's at and has been for years.

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

It's perfectly reasonable to have reservations about the sound given the hype that Apple attached to the original HomePod.
Using the sound quality of the original HP as a benchmark, I wouldn't have any reservations about the sound on the HomePod mini.

Given how limited/poor Siri is in carrying out instructions,
This is clearly situational. Everybody's use case is different.

and how Apple dont appear to think including a syntax sheet, or any flexibility is with regard to addressing Siri, if you take away the sound quality what are you left with? Nothing that you couldn't do on a phone or iPad in terms of home automation.
Actually if you take away Siri, you are left with a great speaker. But for me Siri and the HomePod do exactly what I request in terms of music. I do not care to ask Siri, "what team won the last world series."

Reactions: DeepIn2U

fwilers

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2017
Washington
Bruh, NO one want's a Blu-ray player or any media connected to anything anymore. Digital is where it's at and has been for years.
That wasn't the conversation, bruh, and what you say is not exactly true. Many use high end equipment and digital streaming doesn't provide nearly the same playback as a 4K Ultra HD disc does. In fact 4k streaming sometimes doesn't compare to regular Blu-ray sometimes. Streaming can't compete with 100Gb/s, nor lossless high res multichannel audio. Most of US would go over data caps watching just 10 movies with same quality as 4kUHD, not to mention if you have a shared household with multiple people, kids, etc. you will not have the bandwidth to handle high quality streaming if everyone is doing something different online.

But back to conversation, people do connect multiple devices like video game consoles, PC's, cable or satellite box, ota equipment, dacs, etc. Blu ray was an example because it was used earlier in conversation.

Reactions: subjonas

MiamiC70

Suspended
Oct 16, 2011
Guess you will be RE, RE buying your media in 8K? 16K? 256mbps? 320mbps? lossless? GTFOH!
I pay for bandwidth and pirate the **** out of anything and everything i want in any quality I want screw Hollywood and the record industry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.