Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

This week saw an interesting range of Apple news and rumors, including a blockbuster earnings report, rumors about next year's "iPhone 14" and Face ID coming to Macs, and more.

Other popular topics included Apple's crackdown on leaks, changes in the latest round of betas for iOS 15, iPadOS 15, and macOS Monterey, and several stories involving Tesla CEO Elon Musk, so check out our video above and read on below for all of the details!

Face ID Expected to Come to Mac Within a 'Couple of Years'

While it has been nearly four years since Face ID debuted on the iPhone X, the facial recognition feature has yet to expand to the Mac. However, that could change in the not too distant future, as Bloomberg's Mark Gurman this week said Face ID is coming to the Mac within a "couple of years."

FaceID-iMac-REREREREMIX.jpg

Gurman believes that Apple's ultimate goal is to shift most of its product lineup to Face ID, including lower-end iPhone models such as the iPhone SE and the iPad Air, both of which currently feature Touch ID.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk Takes Shots at Apple During Earnings Call

In an earnings call this month, Tesla CEO Elon Musk made some pointed comments about Apple's so-called "walled garden" and the company's use of the rare-earth element cobalt, which has been associated with human rights issues like forced child labor and environmental concerns near mining sites.

REC_ASA_CODE2016-20160601-205816-2745.1464846118.jpg

Later in the week, Musk came out to publicly back Epic Games in its dispute with Apple, calling Apple's App Store "a de facto global tax on the Internet."

In crazier Musk news, a new book about Tesla claims that Musk demanded he be named Apple CEO in a brief phone discussion with Tim Cook about a potential acquisition of Tesla by Apple. Musk has denied the claim, saying that he and Cook have never even spoken or written to each other.

Apple Reports 3Q 2021 Results: $21.7B Profit on $81.4B Revenue, New June Quarter Records

Apple this week announced financial results for the third fiscal quarter of 2021, which roughly covered the months of April through June. For the quarter, Apple posted revenue of $81.4 billion and net quarterly profit of $21.7 billion, or $1.30 per diluted share, shattering June quarter records for the company.

Q32021RevenueFeature.jpg

Apple saw strong performance across its product and services segments, but CEO Tim Cook says the company is expecting supply constraints to affect iPhone and iPad shipments during the current quarter.

Apple Demands Leaker Reveals Sources Under Threat of Being Reported to Police

It was recently reported that Apple sent letters to several prominent leakers asking them to immediately stop sharing information about unreleased products, or else face legal action, and further details about the letter have emerged this week.

Apple-Leak-Feature.jpg

First, it was reported that Apple demanded that leakers reveal any sources who provided them with information about Apple products that were not publicly available, and Apple also said that the leaks could mislead third-party case/accessory makers.

iPadOS 15 Gains macOS Monterey's Redesigned Safari Tab Interface

The fourth beta of iPadOS 15 that was released this week introduces tweaks to Safari, with the browser's layout now mirroring the updated design that was introduced in the third beta of macOS Monterey.

safari-redesign-ipados-15-beta-4.jpg

Apple also seeded a fourth beta of macOS Monterey to developers this week and this version enables the new Live Text feature on Intel-based Macs, whereas the feature was previously exclusive to Macs with the M1 chip.

iPhone 14 Pro Said to Feature Tougher Titanium Design

Next year's so-called "iPhone 14" lineup is expected to feature high-end models with a new titanium alloy chassis design, according to a recent investor note shared by investment banking firm JPMorgan Chase.

iphone-12-pro-gold.jpg

The investor note said the use of titanium alloy will be one of the biggest changes to the casing design of the 2022 iPhone models, and Foxconn will supposedly be the exclusive manufacturer of the titanium frames for the devices.

MacRumors Newsletter

Each week, we publish an email newsletter like this highlighting the top Apple stories, making it a great way to get a bite-sized recap of the week hitting all of the major topics we've covered and tying together related stories for a big-picture view.

So if you want to have top stories like the above recap delivered to your email inbox each week, subscribe to our newsletter!

Article Link: Top Stories: Face ID on Future Macs, Elon Musk Criticizes Apple, and More

• Haha
Reactions: alpi123

AF_APPLETALK

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2020
After almost three years with FaceID, I still don’t like it.

It forces eye contact with the phone to unlock it, which is annoying at best, and perverse at worse. You have to do it in such an exactly right way that it feels to me like behavioral conditioning.

There’s no reason to bring it to the Mac. There’s no reason to add it to anything other than the dustbin of Apple follies.

Mac4Mat

Suspended
May 12, 2021
Elon needs different medicine, as its obviously not working.

Elon has no problem apparently, looking out for the biggest grants and subsidies he can get, first in the USA then in China, where no doubt at some stage he will drop the USA forgetting some of the biggest grants and subsidies ever obtained.

Where he apparently doesn't see a problem in Tesla's 'earnings' being inflated by taxes on other companies, real car companies who produce ICE's in volume, then have to pay Tesla for the privilege, and that will end as these companies compete with Tesla, and no doubt it will be on to the next grant/subsidy mission.

Using the same analogy perhaps other computer companies should have to pay Apple if they don't commit to Apple's 2030 zero emission target, or reach Apple's recycling programs?

Tesla might have a problem there too, as EV's contain a lot more plastic than ICE's, a lot more copper, a lot heavier because of the batteries, and where the batteries are not currently recycled and some organisations want to be paid for taking these batteries and where the figures were based on these batteries lasting 10 years, whereas in many situations they are failing before 8 years, which makes them more resource costly than an ICE.

A little comment in the bible about the plank in your own eye Elon...perhaps you should read it.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011

It forces eye contact with the phone to unlock it, which is annoying at best, and perverse at worse. You have to do it in such an exactly right way that it feels to me like behavioral conditioning.

There’s no reason to bring it to the Mac. There’s no reason to add it to anything other than the dustbin of Apple follies.

Huh? Exactly right? I just have my eyes open as I raise my phone. Unlocks in about 1/2 sec. or less. Easy. Never been a problem.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
Where he apparently doesn't see a problem in Tesla's 'earnings' being inflated by taxes on other companies, real car companies who produce ICE's in volume, then have to pay Tesla for the privilege, and that will end as these companies compete with Tesla, and no doubt it will be on to the next grant/subsidy mission.

1. Tesla made a pretty profit minus regulatory credits last quarter.
2. ICE companies has to pay Tesla credits because they didn't want to go the hard way of building EVs for the longest time because ICE is easier for them to make. Now they will soon go through the same EV challenges Tesla did resulting in many, many delays. By the time they figure out how to build a competitive EV, they will realize that they too have to figure out how to alleviate the battery constraint Tesla is currently facing. All the while they need to be price competitive without spending a buttload of dollars in advertising. And if they want some sweet sweet savings, they'll need to build a factory in USA just like Ford and Tesla.
3. "Competition" has been coming since 2013 https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303653004579210053345661982
4. The only real competitor that beat the Model S was the Taycan but now Tesla released a refreshed Model S that takes back the crown.

Regulatory credits and competition was never a problem for Tesla. Real problem is how to produce a world's supply of batteries which Tesla is figuring out.

Last edited:

arnoz

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Switzerland
Elon needs different medicine, as its obviously not working.

Elon has no problem apparently, looking out for the biggest grants and subsidies he can get, first in the USA then in China, where no doubt at some stage he will drop the USA forgetting some of the biggest grants and subsidies ever obtained.

Using the same analogy perhaps other computer companies should have to pay Apple if they don't commit to Apple's 2030 zero emission target, or reach Apple's recycling programs?

Tesla might have a problem there too, as EV's contain a lot more plastic than ICE's, a lot more copper, a lot heavier because of the batteries, and where the batteries are not currently recycled and some organisations want to be paid for taking these batteries and where the figures were based on these batteries lasting 10 years, whereas in many situations they are failing before 8 years, which makes them more resource costly than an ICE.

A little comment in the bible about the plank in your own eye Elon...perhaps you should read it.
And in addition to all that, which is true:
they keep on delaying their new products (cyber truck and truck truck), their 3 products on sale are at best already a few years old without a refresh.
And more importantly from a financial point of view, they made ¼ of their profits from Bitcoin and another one from selling CO2 credits to other manufacturers last quarter (didn't read yet the fresh new results). That sounds more than worrying for people doing proper due diligence before investing in something, but the Musk cult will always just go all-in without thinking first.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
And in addition to all that, which is true:
they keep on delaying their new products (cyber truck and truck truck), their 3 products on sale are at best already a few years old without a refresh.

Model 3 has had many changes since being released. Model Y has already had some additions (boombox speaker for example). Model X update next year. Tesla doesn't do big yearly refreshes. They continue to add and improve along the way.

Cybertruck, Semi, and Roadster is waiting for new battery cell form factor. It doesn't make sense to redirect current cells away from Model 3/Y to produce those products since 3/Y is still in high demand.

And more importantly from a financial point of view, they made ¼ of their profits from Bitcoin and another one from selling CO2 credits to other manufacturers last quarter (didn't read yet the fresh new results). That sounds more than worrying for people doing proper due diligence before investing in something, but the Musk cult will always just go all-in without thinking first.

Interesting that you "didn't read yet the fresh new results" because subtracting CO2 credits, Tesla still made a huge profit. And since Bitcoin dropped during the last quarter, Tesla has had to recognize the loss on the sheet even if they don't sell. Even then, Tesla still made a nice profit. Almost as if you're intentionally ignoring the new data so you can still bash Tesla.

Your post is simply false. Talk about going "all-in without thinking first"

Last edited:

SigEp265

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2011
Southern California

There is a setting to disable the “eye contact” part

ajfahey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2001
Moorpark, CA
Apple is a tech company. Tim business and manufacturing logistics manager who doesn’t have the insight to lead an innovative tech company long term. Jobs leadership produced disruptive tech innovation that produced the tech momentum that Cook used to succeed. Apple will peak and decline without a leader that understands tech better and hates organizational bureaucracy and terrorizes innovation, especially disruptive innovation. Musk, for all his foibles, is much more capable than Cook in leading a tech company to be disruptively innovative. Musk is a Jobs. Cook’s skills are complimentary to a great tech innovator but, alone, are skills that will eventually kill Apple.

jwsf28

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2021
West Coast

I'm crying laughing at reading this... you think having to look at your cell phone is PERVERTED?! Bahahahahahahahaha! ?

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
Musk: you’re either a Tesla fan boy or you’re not. The Fanboys think Tesla and Musk can do no wrong, no matter what. I think he’s kinda a cooke but whatever.

As far as Teslas go, they’re interesting and all, but the quality is known to be hit or miss. You either get a good one, or a crappy one. The focus is not on a polished product, but on cranking them out.

For the record, I drive one of those 400Hp Ram pickups with the “mild” hybrid in it. It’s the size of a tank, sucks as much gas as one, and is probably destroying the planet. It’s also got a back seat the size of Cleveland. So, I love the damn thing.

I’m not a Tesla guy, but if I was in the EV market I would probably look at offerings from VW Right now. From what I’ve seen, they have the best engineered power team in the business..

Freeangel1

Suspended
Jan 13, 2020
Monitors with a separate GPU built in.

This just backs up what most are finding out about APPLE silicon CHIPS.

The Internal GPU core in the M ARM chip is not cutting the mustard when a separate high end graphics card is used On A INTEL or AMD based processor Mac or PC.

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
I’m not a Tesla guy, but if I was in the EV market I would probably look at offerings from VW Right now. From what I’ve seen, they have the best engineered power team in the business..

I leased an eGolf a few years back.

It is positively the last VW product I will ever own. I owned a couple of different VWs before then, including a Diesel Passat back in the 90s (no, not one implicated in their scandal a few years ago).

The big problem I had with the eGolf was that it was obvious that nobody ever took a prototype home for a week to try it out. There were just a bunch of really, really dumb misfeatures that drove me bonkers. I couldn't wait for the lease to end to get into a Bolt, and I'm about to roll over into my second one.

1. The passenger seat occupancy detector was triggered BY THE WEIGHT OF MY PHONE.

2. It locked the charging plug in always. No way to override. And that's because, as it turns out, they were ignoring the proximity line of the J1772 connector, which is intended to tell the car that a user is about to pull the plug. I know this because I was able to actually try this with a J1772 plug with a broken latch. I pushed the button and pulled it out and it arced. If they were paying attention to proximity, then within 100 ms of pushing the latch button the car would have dropped it's current draw to low enough not to arc. This is not rocket science. It's the sort of thing I would have expected German automotive engineers to be able to figure out, given that even Italian ones got it right.

EDIT (just remembered) 3: It had a governor at 86 mi/hr. A ludicrously low speed for a German car.

Last edited:
Reactions: SigEp265 and Huck

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
2. ICE companies has to pay Tesla credits because they didn't want to go the hard way of building EVs for the longest time because ICE is easier for them to make. Now they will soon go through the same EV challenges Tesla did resulting in many, many delays.

I don't think this necessarily holds. There are plenty of historical instances of "fast seconds," where in a nutshell competitors used the first mover's product as a prototype to make their own. The DC-1 right after the Boeing 247, just for one example.

If Tesla has an advantage over, say, GM, it would be that they've ramped up battery pack manufacturing. But it's not as if they have a world-wide monopoly on that.

Reactions: ValueArb

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
I leased an eGolf a few years back.

The eGolf was for VW what the Roadster was for Tesla. A badly converted ICE car to betatest the tech in a small production run.

Anybody who bought one of either thinking he was getting a fully useable car was a fool, just like anybody buying (as in not leasing) an EV today will most likely look like a fool in a few years when all the promised improvements make that car almost worthless (and if those improvements don't materialize the whole EV thing will just fade away pretty soon).

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
The eGolf was for VW what the Roadster was for Tesla. A badly converted ICE car to betatest the tech in a small production run.

Anybody who bought one of either thinking he was getting a fully useable car was a fool, just like anybody buying (as in not leasing) an EV today will most likely look like a fool in a few years when all the promised improvements make that car almost worthless (and if those improvements don't materialize the whole EV thing will just fade away pretty soon).
The Roadster was a far, far better car in a number of ways than the eGolf.

And I don't think it's foolish for someone spending tens of thousands of dollars on a durable good to expect it to not suck. That's not the same thing as expecting it to be future-proof.

Reactions: Huck

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
The Roadster was in no way a "fully useable car". Mind you that was also true for the Opel/Vauxhaul Speedster variant and the Lotus Elise they all were based on.

As for the eGolf, *shrug* marketing lies and everybody who did a little bit of research or just applied some common sense knew that it was not a 1:1 replacement for a gas or diesel Golf and while for sure sucks to be the one only finding it out after the fact thats just how it is....

ValueArb

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2010

There is an option in settings to turn off "attention" which means you don't have to look at your phone to have it unlock.

ValueArb

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2010
Apple's market cap would be far higher with Elon in charge. At least double since Tesla is at 17x sales while Apple only 7.5x sales. He would have Apple super fans all excited about the new industrial design Mac Pros in dull metal gray slabs with industry leading 1,000 core CPUs coming out *soon* and the full self-phoning iPhone software that reads your mind to do stuff that he announced would ship in 2017 but he's releasing as a beta this summer.

Imagine if he had been the Pets.com CEO? They would still be in the business of selling shares of stock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.