Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While we had been expecting a follow-up October Apple event focused on Mac and iPad announcements, it sounds like we might not be getting another event after all. Instead, the pending updates in those product segments could be considered minor enough that they may be announced via press releases.

top-stories-1oct2022.jpg

It wasn't all bad news, however, with Apple announcing that it will be expanding an on-device version of the upcoming Stage Manager feature to older iPad Pro models rather than limiting it to M1-based models. Other news and rumors this week included the possibility of an "iPhone 15 Ultra" next year, a look at camera performance on the iPhone 14 Pro Max, and more, so read on below for all of the details on these stories and more!

Apple Expands Stage Manager to Older iPad Pro Models

Apple made the surprise announcement this week that Stage Manager is expanding to older iPad Pro models with A12X and A12Z chips released in 2018 and 2020. The multitasking feature is available to test on those models in the latest iPadOS 16.1 beta.

stage-manager-ipad-pro-video-thumbnail.jpg

Stage Manager will not have external display support on older iPad Pro models, limiting its versatility. Apple has also delayed external display support for the feature on iPad models with the M1 chip — it will be reimplemented in a software update later this year.

We shared our first impressions of Stage Manager on a 2018 iPad Pro in a recent video on our YouTube channel.

Gurman: Apple Might Not Hold an October Event

In his latest newsletter, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman said another Apple Event in October "seems unlikely." Instead, he believes Apple is more likely to announce its remaining 2022 products via press releases, updates to its website, and media briefings.

Tim-Cook-Apple-Event.jpg

Apple often holds an October event focused on new Macs and iPads, but Gurman believes that new versions of the iPad Pro, MacBook Pro, and Mac mini with the M2 series of chips might not be enough for another iPhone-style keynote.

iPhone 15 'Ultra' Could Replace Pro Max Model Next Year

Another tidbit mentioned in Gurman's newsletter this week was that the iPhone 14 Pro Max might be succeeded by a newly named iPhone 15 Ultra next year.

iphone-14-pro-max-deep-purple.jpg

iPhone 15 Ultra branding could make sense given that analyst Ming-Chi Kuo recently claimed that Apple is planning to further differentiate the Pro and Pro Max models in its iPhone lineup by making more features exclusive to the highest-end model going forward.

iPhone 14 Pro Features Live Sports Scores in Dynamic Island on iOS 16.1

Earlier this month, Apple announced that iOS 16.1 will enable a new Live Activities feature that allows iPhone users to stay on top of things that are happening in real time, such as a sports game or a food delivery order, right from the Lock Screen.

iPhone-14-Pro-Sports-Scores-Dynamic-Island.jpeg

On the iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max, Live Activities also integrate with the Dynamic Island, making it easy to view live sports scores at a glance for MLB, NBA, and Premier League games. iOS 16.1 will be released to all users later this year.

Camera Comparison: iPhone 14 Pro Max vs. iPhone 13 Pro Max

The iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max introduce some major improvements in camera technology, adding a 48-megapixel lens and low-light improvements across all lenses with the new Photonic Engine. We've spent the last week working on an in-depth comparison that pits the new ‌iPhone 14 Pro‌ Max against the prior-generation iPhone 13 Pro Max to see just how much better the ‌iPhone 14 Pro‌ Max can be.

iphone-14-max-camera-comparison.jpg

Based on our testing, the ‌iPhone 14 Pro‌ Max cameras are a definite improvement over the ‌iPhone 13 Pro‌ Max cameras, but the new features for most people will only be used every now and then rather than on a daily basis. If you've already got an ‌iPhone 13 Pro‌ Max, it's probably not worth upgrading just for the camera alone, but there are of course other features to consider like Dynamic Island, always-on display technology, Emergency SOS via Satellite, and Crash Detection.

10 Things AirPods Pro 2 Tell Us About AirPods Max 2

Upon the release of the second-generation AirPods Pro, the AirPods Max became the oldest current-generation product in the AirPods lineup.

AirPods-Max-2022-Colors.jpg

With new features like the H2 chip and Adaptive Transparency, the second-generation ‌AirPods Pro‌ may provide some of the best indications yet of what to expect from the second-generation ‌AirPods Max‌. We've rounded up 10 potential features of the AirPods Max 2 in total.

MacRumors Newsletter

Each week, we publish an email newsletter like this highlighting the top Apple stories, making it a great way to get a bite-sized recap of the week hitting all of the major topics we've covered and tying together related stories for a big-picture view.

So if you want to have top stories like the above recap delivered to your email inbox each week, subscribe to our newsletter!

Article Link: Top Stories: Stage Manager Expands to Older iPad Pro Models, No October Apple Event?

Reactions: travis64

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Microsoft is having an October event. Maybe Apple is busy attending that.

To see how not to run their company? HAH!

Perhaps the 14 being a rather dud has something to do with it? I don't know many people that have upgraded and the wife, joking I hope, said she actually wanted her 13 back. We've had issues with calls not going through, and events in calendar disappearing or appearing on different dates. Weird. The calling issue, she can't call me. I do have a focus, and she is on the list to allow calls through, but all of her calls go instantly to my VM. Some of this predated the 14. Technology, when it works, it's great. When it fails, we drink...

Last edited:
Reactions: arkitect

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
To see how not to run their company? HAH!

Perhaps the 14 being a rather dud has something to do with it? I don't know many people that have upgraded and the wife, joking I hope, said she actually wanted her 13 back. We've had issues with calls not going through, and events in calendar disappearing or appearing on different dates. Weird. The calling issue, she can't call me again. I do have a focus, and she is on the list to allow calls through, but all of her calls go instantly to my VM. Some of this predated the 14. Technology, when it works, it's great. When it fails, we drink...
I updated one phone to the pro max and glad I did. I’m updating the other phone to the pro max in a few weeks.

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
Hope there's an event, but I guess if they won't have anything exciting to unveil, a series of press releases throughout a week would be fine. I like the way they did that in 2019 to announce the iPad Air 3, iPad mini 5, iPod Touch (6?) and one or two other products that I forget about now.

Reactions: Ion-X

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I updated one phone to the pro max and glad I did. I’m updating the other phone to the pro max in a few weeks.

I think part of our (her) problem is due to a 'Focus' that is stomping her somehow. I also need to see if I'm on a block list. Her mom did that once, by accident. *shrug*

She keeps saying her iPhone is saying that mine is suspending messaging and calls, yet I can call her at will. She's had the calendar issues more than I. I don't know how much is PBKAC, or just bad assumptions. It's gotten easier to change a setting and have widespread unintended consequences.

Reactions: I7guy

azentropy

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Not sure if a full fluff event is really needed if it is just going to be a MBP , Mac mini and iPad Pro spec bump update. The base iPad is rumored to get a new form factor, but not sure that is worth an entire event. Maybe just release a bunch of introduction videos with the press releases but not necessarily a "live" event.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Unfortunately, Apple is not in rush to release new M2 products with how successful the current lineup is compared to competition.

That and I think they have hit the ceiling for the current technology. I thought that years ago. Companies are back to the age of audio equipment when I sold it just out of high school. When you have put everything (that people actually use) into a phone, what do you do for an encore? What do you do to get people to want to buy/upgrade? Make them bigger, make them smaller, make them fold, make them brighter, make them darker, pretty soon they will run out of ways to sell them, and this isn't just an Apple issue, it's an industry issue. As for the desktop and laptop/notebook market, it's pretty much the same. If it wasn't for 'required by OS update' (cough) sales, people likely wouldn't be buying as much as they do.

An example of a company in the product doldrums is RoadID. Their product is needed in this world because so many people involved in accidents don't have ID on them, but how do you get people to buy a product they won't need unless they move or change a phone number. You introduce different colors. You aggressively market to your previous purchasers to buy other things. New bands, new 'attire'. They used to offer some really high quality road attire, bibs and jerseys, but dropped them, likely becasue they weren't very profitable, but I bought several of those. Good stuff. I'd really hate for them to go out of business and hope they can survive. I'm sure the pandemic took a huge bite out of their operations. (Maybe they should introduce a military/police version?)

The 14 being somewhat of a dud was predictable. How can you take a commodity product and make it 'better', and entice people other than the 'have to have the latest' to buy when the economy is being touted as 'near total collapse'. Even the Apple Watch, except the Ultra, was a 'minor update'. And people generally saying the M2 is evolutionary rather than revolutionary, people are being inundated with *YAWN*...

Wow, and this post is long...

Basically, how much glitter does Apple need to pour into a product to get it to sell. Especially when they have killed their 'power user' desk machines (the 27" iMacs). They seem to have shot themselves in the foot? Apparently more?

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I still think it’s weird that the 24” iMac is skipping M2.

And what about the Mac Pro? Are they just admitting defeat re. the “two year transition”?

The Mac Pro...

I'm sure it's caused a lot of heartburn at Apple. Time will tell. They certainly over promised and somewhat under delivered. People dumped many tens of thousands into those boxes. Eventually will more 'pro users' walk away? The question 'What is Apple doing?!?' seems appropriate?

Last edited:

Kimmo

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2011
Gurman has his sources. I have mine.

When Apple releases the stunning ASi Mac Pro (which will be fast, upgradable, expandable and reasonably priced) later this month via an understated press release it will usher in a new era at the company that eschews marketing hype and combines humility and no-nonsense engineering excellence.

Bravo Tim Cook on this new direction for Apple!

;)

CarAnalogy

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2021
I’ll take this opportunity to reiterate that further separating the Pro and largest size screen model is a mistake. I have a large iPad and a Mac with an even bigger screen. I just want a great camera and display that fits in my pocket.

Reactions: femike

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
So if Stage Manager can work on a base iPad Pro 2018 64GB model which has 4GB RAM, why is this feature not on the iPad Air 4 which has the same exact specs, but more importantly the A14 bionic which is what the M1 is based on?
Excellent question. Wish we had an official answer, other than the assumption that Apple wants to sell Stage Manager as a Pro-only feature (with the exception of the Air 5, just to make things inconsistent).

originalsk

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2022
Sounds weird for Apple to update Macs quietly when still a majority of pro users are on Intels, even if there are no major hardware advancements. Apple could use an event to articulate software optimizations for Apple Silicon, which some pro software apps are still lacking and unable to use full hardware potential.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.