Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stx8

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2022
Someone will always be unhappy. I remember when it was M1-only, there was an outrage.

M1 brings 8 and 16Gb RAM, faster performance, Mini LED screen (on 12.9" Pro) and external display support (which will be M1 exclusive). I think that's a nice advantage.

I also think it's nice they found a way to have Stage Manager and the new scaling on other iPads, like the Mini.
As a 2018 owner, it wasn't stage manager that made me unhappy but rather external screen support. Personally, I feel like the numbe rof oflks upset about stage manager is inflated because many are confused that stage manager =/ external screen support.

akbarali.ch

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2011
Mumbai (India)
Can someone somehow clarify the external display thing, I read it a few times but am kind of still confused.

External display support is gone for non-m1 devices: What exactly does it mean? - Are they saying the stage manager doesn't work on the external display or the whole external display feature itself is pulled out? This means if I take a pro-2020 and connect to an external display nothing will show up on iPadOS 16.1.

Please, someone, clarify this. I'm planning to get an old iPad pro. For me, external display support is a make-or-break deal. The stage manager is good if I get it, but if it's missing, then I can wait for a few years till I upgrade the iPad.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Can someone somehow clarify the external display thing, I read it a few times but am kind of still confused.

External display support is gone for non-m1 devices: What exactly does it mean? - Are they saying the stage manager doesn't work on the external display or the whole external display feature itself is pulled out? This means if I take a pro-2020 and connect to an external display nothing will show up on iPadOS 16.1.

Please, someone, clarify this. I'm planning to get an old iPad pro. For me, external display support is a make-or-break deal. The stage manager is good if I get it, but if it's missing, then I can wait for a few years till I upgrade the iPad.
They just mean the extended external display support. They aren't removing the existing mirroring/app specific external support that's been there for years. (Source: I'm on the latest iPadOS beta which added Stage Manager to my 2020 11" iPad Pro. External HDMI mirroring is still working).

akbarali.ch

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2011
Mumbai (India)
They just mean the extended external display support. They aren't removing the existing mirroring/app specific external support that's been there for years. (Source: I'm on the latest iPadOS beta which added Stage Manager to my 2020 11" iPad Pro. External HDMI mirroring is still working).
Thanks for informing. Extended display is must. mirroring is useless. Hope they revert and bring back that feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.