Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yaboze

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2007
The Garden State
I'd like to chime in here that this game is really a lot of fun. It has a real Diablo II feel, both in game mechanics, UI, items and music.

I have it for the PC, but I may support them and buy a Mac version too, since it's only $20. They say it will even run on a GMA's.

It has low requirements, only needing 800mhz Processor and like a 5-6 year old video card with 64MB.

The only thing that seems limiting now is:

1. Only 3 classes, but customizable with the three "skill" reasons.
2. You are based in the town of Torchlight and mainly do dungeon crawls. There's no country side exploration or different "home bases" like Diablo II.
3. No multiplayer, Co-Op, LAN or anything.

Still, it's very fun and worth $20.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Wow, looks awesome, I will be watching this a lot more closely now. I wonder if they will throw us Mac users a bone and if we buy the PC version will they allow us to reinstall when the mac version comes out? :D

One of the dev's posted on the forum that the OS X port is being done by another company, so you'll have to buy it again. Sucks, but I guess that's life. Otherwise it's a fantastic game! It's the most I've played any game since Diablo II, it doesn't beat it, but it definitely ranks up there!

SebZen

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2009
I tried it in Crossover Games. You have to launch it in Safe Mode for it to work to begin with.

I couldn't change the resolution or set it to full screen, doing either would cause it to crash right away. Didn't bother trying to play it with a 5 inch window.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Got a chance to play the PC demo a bit. I don't remember, in a game like this is it standard to click a spot on the ground to run? I'm thinking the original NWN was like that. It was ok, seemed like you level up fast, and you come across a lot of gear, and no mobs were overly challenging at least in the first 5 or so levels. As I prefer magic, I played the Vanquisher (girl) and the alchemist. I have not thoroughly explored the talent trees but first impression is that they don't seem all that different. I'm not sure what kind of limits there are in class related gear. All classes gets a pet. I could be totally wrong about lack of differences, but if I'm right, it's kind of the new thing as in Borderlands where "class" does not mean all that much. Maybe that changes in the higher levels? I'm still undecided if I'm gonna buy, but for $20 it would be hard to go wrong. I liked the graphics, but the game play feel was much like Never Winter Nights.

Happy Halloween! :D

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
NWN gave you the 'click to move' option as well as WASD ...and NWN was also RTwP battle, this is more like your typical Diablo-type Action-RPG.

MyDesktopBroke

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
I tried it in Crossover Games. You have to launch it in Safe Mode for it to work to begin with.

I couldn't change the resolution or set it to full screen, doing either would cause it to crash right away. Didn't bother trying to play it with a 5 inch window.

Same, except I played it.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the game. Despite a few graphical glitches in Crossover, the game looked great. I'm one of those people who think some of the Diablo 3 graphics are too cartoonish, but here the super stylized look totally worked because the game was built ground up around it. I loved the big monsters like the towering trolls.

The demo only goes to the first boss and level 4 of the mines. The gameplay for that time was fast, nonstop fighting. It's like a cross between Diablo and Gauntlet set in the Warcraft Universe. One of the drawbacks, I felt, was that magic, rare, set, and unique items were too common, which made the early levels way too easy even on hard difficulty.

Over all, the game was very enjoyable. I would definitely recommend anyone who is interested in this game to download the demo first, as a recurring complaint is that the game is too repetitive, so make sure you know what you're getting into (although for $20 you can't go too wrong). I think Torchlight is perfect for casual gamers who just like fooling around with light RPGs, and will tide hardcore gamers over until Diablo 3.

And the bobcat pet is awesome.

davwin

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2008
I love this game - playing through it on my UMB in BootCamp and all options on high at native screen res. It looks and plays beautifully - very much the spritual successor to Diablo II :) Very addicting though heheh

billmfoto

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2009
Rumson, NJ
My take on Diablo III

They have started to work on this game around 2008.. In my opinion they started something they can't complete due to countless problems being encountered.
In other words they bit off more than they can chew. If this game ever gets off the ground, we're looking at Christmas 2010 at the earliest.
Meanwhile , play Torchlight ( if its out for the Mac yet)

MrBean

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2008
They have started to work on this game around 2008.. In my opinion they started something they can't complete due to countless problems being encountered.
In other words they bit off more than they can chew. If this game ever gets off the ground, we're looking at Christmas 2010 at the earliest.
Meanwhile , play Torchlight ( if its out for the Mac yet)

Still waiting for the Torchlight port.

juliancs

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
I'd recommend Titan Quest. About 10 pounds now on steam with the expansion and there are dozens of class mixes. Really good game.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I'd recommend Titan Quest. About 10 pounds now on steam with the expansion and there are dozens of class mixes. Really good game.

Well - one issue is that it is a PC-only game ... but I really enjoyed it :) If you *are* interested - make sure to check out 'Titan Quest Gold' on Steam, Direct2Drive, GamersGate, and Impulse to see who has the best pricing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.