iPad Torn between selling iPad 4 or returning Mini Retina

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rajpatel, Dec 20, 2013.

1. rajpatel macrumors regular

I hate to sound like one of those indecisive dweebs, but I really can't decide. Thing is, mini is the perfect ebook reader, tv and movie player, music player, personal organizer. It's also great for web browsing, but for really extended web browsing and extensive reading on the internet, which I do a great deal.......just in this one area, it comes up a bit short. All the panning and zooming is tiring.

My ipad 4 conversely is great for web browsing but just overkill for the other stuff. Plus the minis form and light weight is infectious and addictive. My 4 seems to get heavier all the time with the mini around.

It's frustrating cuz I like the small size and it works well with everything except web browsing. But the thing is, out of all the activities mentioned, that is the one I do most. I very rarely watch any tv show or movie, but darn it, I think is absolutely perfect for tv and movies. I mean, the really really sweet spot. I thought the 4 was great for that, but no the mini far better. Can't explain it, I just think its great for movies, the absolute perfect size, one inch bigger would be unnecessary, however one inch less would be too little.

I used to love my 4 as a reader but now it just feels too big and overbearing to use for ebooks. The mini is the size of a book......perfect. 4 is more the size of a size of a magazine and a fairly heavy one, though I always use a stand for my 4.

Wish I cud keep both but I'm a broke mf. I need the money for straight up food, no joke. Not some vacation, or party or grand adventure.......just food.

2. JGWolven macrumors regular

If you really are Hurting that much financially, sell whichever would put the most money back in your pocket.

3. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

4. Misskitty macrumors 6502

Didnt you apply for a new credit card just for the mini? If you cant even feed yourself, why do you even have ipads? Its a materialistic item that can be bought down the road. Health is always more important. I suggest getting rid of both and look into some financial counselling from an advisor. It helps, Ive been there and done that.

5. rajpatel thread starter macrumors regular

I will listen to any advice except from someone who returned six rminis. Or whatever it was

That is criminal

6. boobie12 macrumors 6502

Dude I understand having a tablet is great but it's a luxury in most cases and If it's a luxury for you,you should sell it. It seems you don't have enough money for food. That's more important. Getting your financials straight is more important. Then you can get your tablet. Think about what you need not what you want.

7. rajpatel thread starter macrumors regular

I thought about getting an air. But I nixed that. My 4 is great, not worth upgrading just to lose half a pound. I don't doubt that half pound loss makes a huuuuge difference when carrying it. But my 4 is always on a stand, and I never take it anywhere.

I feel sad bout it, but I have to return the mini. I must have an all in one device, I don't believe in electronic clutter or even electronics themselves. It's just a screen and one I've been staring at hours a day since mid nineties.

It's too bad cuz the mini is so sweet. But I just really need the ten inch screen. I hate all the panning and zooming of mini after awhile

Sometimes, really all the time, I like to just sit back and read relaxedly. No scrolling or zooming. 4 is great for that and fits into my lifestyle since I'm really sedentary anyway. I have to agree with jobs. Ten inches is best for all around everything. But I will miss the heck outta the mini. I wish bill gates would just give me a million bucks. For him, it would be like handing someone a thousandth of a penny. So frustrating that he has so much and I've so little and all he would have to do to set me up for life would be to give me a thousandth of a penny. Having said that, it's important to remember gates changed the world and I'm a loser. Hence, the discrepancy in our situations.

8. boobie12 macrumors 6502

??? Why do you post here about money issues. Then talk about owning an ipad. If you have money issues then you don't need one. Sell it and get your self help and get out financial debt.

9. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

sell the ipad 4 return the mini and but the ipad air

10. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Looks like you answered your own question. I hope your situation improves. :)

----------

It seems the OP is trying to get some money back. Therefore keeping the iPad 4 that is already paid for seems like a better option.

11. rajpatel thread starter macrumors regular

Why do u or anyone care if I talk bout money issues here? Maybe I don't have one friend in the world, am registered on two sites total on Internet, up to my neck in debt (20k) and my min wage job money all goes to interest every month. Not all but almost all, with a little left over for grocery store.

So pardon me for sharing. When u live in poverty money problems will wear you out and age you. Anyway, it's appropriate to complain here. A year ago I bought my first apple product in decades......iPod touch 5g. Then a shuffle. Then a nano. Then the ipad 4. Gave five shuffles as gifts. Got an iPhone 5 in sept. Then the mini in nov. Everything is sold except the two iPads and the phone.

12. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

This post is more all over the place than your rant on cases and covers.

Best of luck to you!

13. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

you just don't wanna hear the truth. you can't afford either of them if you are going to the pawn shop to get money every so often.

14. boobie12 macrumors 6502

Because debt sucks and it's better if you try to get out of debt them buy luxuries you don't need. You have an iPhone 5 that can get you thru. Not try a judge I hope nothing but the best for you but it's up to you to make the right decisions to move toward in life and get out of your debt

15. rajpatel thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah debt does suck. Sad part is eighteen months ago my debt was about 8k on a student loan and 2k credit card debt. Now the cc debt is 20k. It hurts. I wasted a lot of money in 2012. I was mostly frugal this year but last year was disaster. I hate myself for truly wasting that 18 k. Not on investments or property or education or self improvement or gifts or anything worthwhile but on the kind of thing you turn to when you have not one relationship in this world with anyone, a dead end job and seemingly no fun at all, though that's probably attitude. Not sure tho. Some peeps just have the crap life really

16. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

If you bought the mini on financed credit sell the iPad 4. If you owe on the rMini and the entire sum is due after Xmas, return the rMini.

Honestly you should sell the iPad 4 regardless and just go with an iPhone. But that's not the answer you want to hear... you can always rebuy it later when the money comes back... as someone who was out of work full time work for 3 years and is in something like 30k of credit card debt I know what it's like... retail therapy is probably a form of addiction... Luckily for me I found a decent job and am working on paying off all my debt.

17. rajpatel thread starter macrumors regular

Your advice about money is spot-on but I tell u rite now even if I lose all my stuff in a hurricane and somehow have my phone.........I am not using that iPhone 5 for anything except calls and music. That's it. The first month I had it I was on that thing sooooo much u wouldn't believe. I actually started getting headaches from the tiny screen. Plus it is the most exasperating thing in the world to surf net or watch shows on that.

Personally, I would love for verizon to just drop my data plan altogether. I don't like spending that extra thirty bucks and I quit Internet from May to October and tho I was bored outta my skull, somehow I liked it. That all ended with the iPhone 5 and tethering.

18. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Why not get a cheap flip phone and then just keep the iPad 4?

19. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

sorry to hear all that man. I get that times can be tough, but times will get tougher if you continue to buy things you can't afford. Only you can change your situation. Spend your time and money focusing on things to make your life better. Once your finances get figured out, then buy whatever you want and can afford!

20. quamsi macrumors regular

I understand being broke. Its a tough economy right now. I make very little as well. In order not to accumulate debt, I have a cheapo windows cell phone on a prepaid $29/month plan (unlimited minutes, small amt of included data). This takes care of my phone in and out of the house. I allow myself one "toy" at a time. Before purchasing my next toy I require two things of myself: 1.) I must pay for the toy with cash or debit card. (NO credit) 2.) I have a small emergency stash of $ in the bank. If one or neither of these two criteria are met, I don't allow myself my next toy.

If I were you, I'd prioritize my assets and sell anything that wasn't nailed down. Perhaps keep one tablet if it's that important to you, but sell everything else. I second the recommendation of selling your iphone for a cheaper phone.

If I were you, I'd sell my iphone, rmini, and ipad 4, purchase a discounted Ipad Air (best of both worlds, IMO- or keep the ipad 4 if it suits you) and make that tablet last me the next 3-4 years while I bust my butt paying off my debt. Not purchasing a single new "toy" until all my debt was gone, and paying in cash in the future.

Hope it works out for you. :)

21. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

1, the screen of the 4 has much wider color gamut.

2, it, if it still runs pre-6.1.3, can be JB'n. Your OS version? If it's a lower one, by all means keep the 4 and in no way upgrade. You'll love for example f.lux.

22. rajpatel thread starter macrumors regular

I'm on a two yr contract with the iPhone with Verizon. I don't know it could be changed. In any event it cost eighty bucks from SAMs club in sept. I don't really see saving a lot there by going to a cheaper phone. Verizon ended the free phone thing. Now there cheapest phone is thirty five bucks. So there is no point in that. However, I do kinda wish I hadn't gotten the phone cuz I'm an Internet addict and I had quit it.

On the other hand, the iPhone 5 is truly such an amazing device. I personally can't stand it for anything other than calls and music, but I still love it. As a phone, the best I ever had and a huge step up from my samsung flip phone.

Now y'all got me thinking maybe I really should sell both since I am an Internet addict. It's just soul draining, I don't see the point. It would be ok if I could moderate. But I can't. Thing is, every thing I do on the net is not worth even five cents. I go to the fb page of some chick I haven't seen in yrs, the proverbial one that got away......the one u never forget. And I read the news, which is pointless. And I'm sick of it,but I have nothing else to do. Quit tv in nineties, can't stand it. I actually can't stand sound from devices, I only use my iPhone in that regard for occasional ravi Shankar at low volume. Elevator music type stuff.

Well, thanks for all your advice. I will keep y'all posted. I'm not pretending to be stuck on this for attention. I personally find it hard to choose, it is almost like no win bc I will miss either one real bad. I mite also try hard to stretch my budget and keep both. Truth be told, I have a certain habit which is costly and I am doing my damnedest to stop. You wouldn't even believe what extraordinary lengths I've gone to to stop. This being net, and with ugly govts eyes and ears everywhere, I'll leave it at that

23. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It's not so much cheaper phone as it is phone + plans + whatever. Basic phone service and internet are requirements for most people. You have to be able to receive calls. I suppose if you lacked personal internet service you could rely on work, library computer stations or whatever else. In your situation my goal would be to obtain the minimum essentials with communication devices for the lowest cost possible. I'm not one of the people on here who is mesmerized by the latest shiny techn. Typically I'll try to use devices as long as possible to minimize environmental waste.

24. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

Drugs? Prostitutes? Sounds like you got a bigger problem than iPads. If you have 20k in debt of the worst kind (cc), how exactly do you plan on getting out of it? Unless you are in school or on the verge of getting a career job, you won't be able to pay back that 20k. You are on the road to BK, which might actually help you out in the long run. If you financed the ipad, return it. No point in opening new accounts if you are on the verge of defaulting. Get some professional advice, this ipad decision doesn't even register on what you need to do for your life. The sooner you face your debt, the quicker you will be on your feet. Paying interest every month with nothing left over is no fun.

25. 617aircav Suspended

OP we all want a lot of things but we just don't go out and buy things on the whim. As an adult you should be disciplined enough to know what you can and can't afford. I mean, if you have a 4, why would you be thinking of buying a new tablet? If the 4 worked for you before the rmini was released, I'm sure it still works. A tablet is straight up a luxury device in most situations. I have a MacBook Air and a used nook hd tablets for books etc. While I'm way far from being broke I felt I could not justify the need for an expensive tablet. Learn to be prudent and to live within your means.