Toshiba 512 gb ssd for MBPs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NovemberWhiskey, May 26, 2009.

1. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

2. nutritious macrumors 6502

I'd only consider Intel SSDs, but that's just me. I'm weird and picky like that...they are the best though...

3. NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

That's fine and all, but this drive will offer 240/200 speeds with 512 gb of storage.

Even with Intels upcoming line-up, the largest capacity is 320 gb.

And I was asking because Apple seems to be using Toshiba as their current supplier for SSDs.

Maybe an announcement at WWDC 09?

Does anyone know where i can buy the ssd itself right now? They said it would be available 2nd quarter 2009, and we are already into Q3.

4. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

5. NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Why do you say intel only?

Have you compared this drive to what intel has to offer?

6. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

How much are these going to cost at the outset?:eek: I'm excited to see advancement but nervously anticipating the cost... I'm thinking of swapping out the HDD in my MBP to an SSD but I'm waiting for the costs to come way down, so it will be a while.

7. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

intel is the only also bootcamp usable and firmware upgradable.

a-data announced XPG 512gb ssd in march, so toshiba is not the first ..

8. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

I thought most SSDs are firmware upgradable. Intel didn't play nice with Boot Camp until the recent firmware upgrades, even though a good chunk of the SSDs had no problem with Boot Camp.

I'm an Intel fan too, just because of the jmicron controller issues that plague "cheap" SSDs.

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

The capacity looks great.

The cost, on the other hand. :eek:

Definitely will be a while before I an justify purchasing one of these SSD 512GB HDs.

10. NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I think they were the first. They announced this in 2008.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think given the immaturity of the product you're paying a premium for the storage and the risk of being on the bleeding edge is high. I just picked up a 500gig seagate drive for well under two hundred dollars. I get all of the storage, a great track record with seagate and all for a percentage of what it would cost for a 512gb SSD.

Wait a year and you'll really see the SSDs coming down in price.

12. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

at this point in time im going with only Intel. and yes i have read various comparisons and the Intel is ALWAYS faster. plus it says right on one of the pages that this is not going to be as fast as Intel's drives because of the multi cell level.

13. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

Small random writes. Intel has consistent offered higher speeds in this benchmark than other SSDs. Large sequential reads and writes, the spec often cited by manufacturers, is less used in day to day operations.

14. NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Could you link me to a comparison test? I thought that the Toshiba 512 Gb drive just came out (heck, I don't even know if it is available to the public yet). I am not talking about the 256 gb drive.

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

And the cost will be your first born plus your 401k if you have or your wife/girlfriend if lacking 401k. If you don't have either, your sworn & legal loyalty to Toshiba does fine as well.

16. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

you are missing the point. in the article you gave us it says that it will be slower because of the multi cell levels. all we can go off is past reputation and intel has been the best by far.

HERE is one of many comparison tests out there.

17. RKpro macrumors 6502

Don't be mislead by manufacturer performance ratings. They always give you the sequential performance to make their product look better. Unless you're copying large files all day, sequential performance figures don't matter to you. Normal computer usage include mostly random reads/writes, and that is where Intel drives beat the competition by a wide margin.

18. NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

lol.

What point am I missing? I posted some info on Toshiba's NEW 512 Gb SSD and asked whether or not people thought it would be incorporated into the new Macbook Pros--because Apple currently uses Toshiba as their supplier for SSDs.

A bunch of people completely ignored the point of my post, and continued to rave about Intel's SSDs.

I know Intel makes great SSDs. I never said they didn't. I would love to have one, but their capacities are too small for my tastes, currently.

You are the one who is comparing Toshiba's old capabilities to Intel's capabilities. If you bothered to click on the link about this SSD, it acknowledges that the old Toshiba has lower specs compared to the Intel.

And if you bothered to read about the new one, it shows that the specs are pretty good compared to the Intel (240 vs. 250 read, with a higher write, and a much larger capacity).

Instead of succumbing to group-think, don't you think actually considering new information would be a wiser choice?

This is a discussion about the new drive from Toshiba (if anyone has any inside information about it that is not available via google) and whether or not it is likely Apple will start incorporating this into their lineup (because they use Toshiba for SSDs currently).

I love Intel performance just as much as the next guy, but I will need a laptop in the next three months or so and if Apple begins offering the 512 gb Toshiba drive I think that would be perfect for my personal needs.

I don't think I could put up with the small capacity of a SLC or what Intel currently has to offer. Their upcoming 320gb drive may be a contender, but I don't think that will be released until much later this year.

19. goMac macrumors 603

I don't own an SSD, but if Apple is using Toshiba SSD's, then I am pretty sure that they support Boot Camp...

20. nutritious macrumors 6502

Well for me, my laptop is not my main computer, so I don't care much about capacity on a SSD. I just use it as my OS drive and have other drives for storage, etc...

21. NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

And that's a great reason for not caring about capacity as much as performance. Another good reason would be that your laptop has room for an additional hard drive.

Personally, I would prefer to just have a large SSD installed from the factory that performs relatively well so I don't have to worry about swapping hard drives, transferring files, opening up my computer, etc. They aren't that hard to do, but if I am paying for a premium for a computer, it would be nice to just turn it on and go with what I personally need.

22. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

look im with you on the SSD's being to small. like you it's one of the main reasons i havent bought one. but with the research i have done on this drive the general consensus is it is going to be slower because of the multi level cells. that is all i am saying. i hope that it is an awesome drive because the current size constriction is unacceptable for what i need and i hope this causes, and i am sure it will, other manufactures to get moving on bigger capacity drives. im still going to wait about a year to buy one no matter who or what comes out. i am very satisfied with my WD Scorpio Black.

i look forward to reading what you think of it cause it seems like you will be one of the first to get it. no hard feeling bro i hope you like it.

23. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

24. NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

25. yoyomaster macrumors regular

I'll just have to wait awhile for the prices to come done just a tad bit lol.