Toshiba to Introduce 60GB 1.8

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Infoworld reports that Toshiba is planning to launch a 60GB version of its 1.8" Hard Drives which are currently used in the Apple iPod.

The new 60GB drive should begin production in July or August and has already been ordered by Apple.

The (non Mini) iPod last saw a revision in September 2003, which brought the highest capacity iPod to 40GB.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. I have 38GB of tunes. Way too close to the max 40GB the high end iPod holds. Bring this on. There have been two things I've been waiting on.

1. G5 PowerBook
2. 50GB iPod.

If they only bring out #2 this year I'm happy.

WOOT. First post!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Macrumors said:
Infoworld reports that Toshiba is planning to launch a 60GB version of its 1.8" Hard Drives which are currently used in the Apple iPod.

The new 60GB drive should begin production in July or August and has already been ordered by Apple.

The (non Mini) iPod last saw a revision in September 2003, which brought the highest capacity iPod to 40GB.
Good news for iPod followers, like me - I'm an iPod owner myself, and I'm not ready to replace my iPod just yet...but I would like a reason to get mre people using iPods - this is a good one.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Macrumors said:

Sounds great!

It would be nice to see these drives in some PC laptops -- even two of them! It would be nice to have the extra storage in a small form factor.

Sushi

Tulse

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
60GB seems rather large for the vast majority of music libraries. It's hard to imagine that enough people have such huge collections to make it worthwhile producing.

That said, it may be that Apple could use that space for other things -- video? still pictures? Somethinge else entirely?

bob_the_gorilla

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2004
Derby, UK
Finally

Hopefully now we'll have an iPod that can viably hold a few movies, as well as songs. While it's too much to hope that it can play them, too - it's still the ultimate way to take a film to a mate's house to watch :cool:

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
surely this now makes it obvious that the ipod is going to have some form of video capebility and do it properly!

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
like loneAzdgari said, this is very good news since it's gonna bring down the prices at the lower capasity models. a 40Gb iPod for the money a 20Gb costs now.... yummy! :)

I'm an owner of a G3 15Gber.. i'm very pleased, but the room is still not quite enough, since i've got about 40Gbs of music and now I'm also using it as a portable computer (have osx on it and mail, address book, safari etc synced between my own computer and the pod).

so bring on the 60Gb! Could it also be possible to save some space for something else in PBs if they had these smaller HDs? ...space for a G5 processor maybe?! ;DDD

stefman

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Great news, but that still means I have to wait till Sept/Nov. for a new iPod...an eternity!!

ChuckM

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2004
Just outside Boston, MA
Just to put that in perspective

Tulse said:
60GB seems rather large for the vast majority of music libraries. It's hard to imagine that enough people have such huge collections to make it worthwhile producing.

That said, it may be that Apple could use that space for other things -- video? still pictures? Somethinge else entirely?
Just to put that in perspective, assuming 1MB/Minute, that is almost 42 straight days of music without hearing the same song over, if my math serves me.

((60,000 minutes/60) /24)=41.666~ :)

sinisterdesign

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2003
atlanta
60 beautiful gigabytes...

yup yup. i've been holding out for the next rev to update my rev2 20GB. i've been trying to weed through my iTunes for crappy songs that i just don't listen to, but it's finally surpassed my iPod's capacity. :(

60GB should hold me for a while!

i know people use it as a hard drive, but wouldn't it be nice to be able to install Norton & boot from it to repair a wonky startup drive? just a thought. but that's coming from someone that only stores contacts & calendar entries on it so far.

cgmpowers

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2002
Barely covers it for me...

I'll break down and buy the 60 GB iPod because my current one is the 30 GB. I have, as of this morning, 79.06 GB iTunes library. I still have about 30 to 40 CDs of my wife's to rip and store into iTunes. Currently, I have 19,884 songs (that includes a handful of audiobooks & about 500 sound effect mp3s). That's still fairly large.

Christopher

19,884 Songs/Audiobooks/Etc.
79.06 GB
49.2 days of music.
73 Genres
1,557 Artists
1,668 Albums

Tulse said:

reaper

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2004
19th Hole
I'm so far over the limit of my 15GB right now, it's not even funny. :eek: It feels like forever that I've been holding out for the new revisions. 60GB here I come - shoot, maybe I'll throw in a new PB too just for good measure! :D

- reaper

Sir_Giggles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
I'd like to see this 60GB hard drive used in the next revisions of the powerbook. Any thoughts on how reliable this drive will be? I'd like to see the 12" PB get a whole lot thinner. Or perhaps put 2 of these drives in the PB and get a whopping 120GBs!

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Sir_Giggles said:
I'd like to see this 60GB hard drive used in the next revisions of the powerbook. Any thoughts on how reliable this drive will be? I'd like to see the 12" PB get a whole lot thinner. Or perhaps put 2 of these drives in the PB and get a whopping 120GBs!

Forget that. If you are going to go with a new drive model for the PB go with either the 7200RPM 60GB drive or the 100GB 4200RPM drive that came out just a few weeks ago. Honestly if some of us already have 40GB to fill up an iPod that means an 80Gb drive isn't going to leave a whole heck of a lot of space left.

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
60gig might be too much MP3s for most people but its about the right size to introduce "home on an iPod". SO I guess we can expect it to hit us soon, I just hope we will not have to wait for Tiger to get it...

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
awesome. I have around 35GB of stuff, but I've been thinking of re-importing the music I have gotten from my CD's or friends CD's to aac 128 or lossless. Currently, it's mp3 192. If I do this, then I'll have even more space.

I would think that apple will add more functionality to iPods. Hopefully we get a color lcd (to view pictures) and more PDA functions. I still haven't added any contacts and other stuff to my iPod, but maybe with more space ... i will.

Can't wait. Come on june 28, come already so I could be in SF attending WWDC.

stoid

macrumors 601
brap said:
I'd love to see two of these in the 12" PB, pity it'll never happen :-/
I wouldn't say 'never'. Technology is always advancing, always getting better, faster, smaller, (and hotter). It may not be in the next revision, but I'd wager that at some point in the not terribly distant future these smaller drive will start appearing in laptops. Remember though that these drives are even MORE expensive than the 2.5 inch drives that laptops currently house, so for right now it's cost prohibitive. It would be awesome if Apple would RAID together two 40GB drives and you'd have a ultra fast 80GB internal drive at about the same physical size as current laptop HDs!

Penman

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2004
cgmpowers said:
I'll break down and buy the 60 GB iPod because my current one is the 30 GB. I have, as of this morning, 79.06 GB iTunes library. I still have about 30 to 40 CDs of my wife's to rip and store into iTunes. Currently, I have 19,884 songs (that includes a handful of audiobooks & about 500 sound effect mp3s). That's still fairly large.

Christopher

19,884 Songs/Audiobooks/Etc.
79.06 GB
49.2 days of music.
73 Genres
1,557 Artists
1,668 Albums
I know how you feel I have a little over 140GB and I still have 2 boxes of CD's to import...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.