Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
Touch ID does not work if your fingers are moist.

Last 3 days I've worked out, I've used the phone multiple times to change the song and TouchID has worked every time

Granted my fingers aren't super sweaty, but I'd say theres a little bit of moisture on them during and after my workout.

topherg

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
soCal
having the same issue I've tried resetting my print but I still get "try again" more often than not... I need a new thumb... the iThumb in Gold.

LastZion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
Mine too was pretty bad. Then I just did the "trick" where you delete them all and add all your fingers under 1 finger print, since then it's been much better (and I have 4 free slots now).

andrewj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
same problem as yesterday with Touch ID

Having the same problem again that I originally posted about. This morning, same issue, Touch ID was working maybe 5%. I was using the same technique as yesterday of letting my finger rest on the home screen after pushing the button (which was working very consistently yesterday). However, wasn't recognizing it all this morning.

I know others have posted that it will continue to learn over time, however, I can't imagine it will learn if won't recognize the fingerprint at all!

Thinking about going to Apple store (though I can't imagine that they have any replacement units in stock)!

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Works every time for me. I can't say the same thing about my pass code lock on this phone or my older ones. I had like a 10% failure rate probably from punching keypads too fast and duplicating keys or just missing them a bit!

So, Touch ID works more reliably for me than pass code ever did!

Same here. I feel like I mistyped my passcode 10-20% of the time. Maybe 1-5% scan failure. And scan failures have always been my fault, placing my finger at a weird angle.

iRabbit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2007
Long Island, NY
Have been using it since Wednesday (3 days now) and I think it only failed on me like twice, but it didn't fail completely... I just adjusted my finger position and it then worked.

I registered my thumb... and I registered it the way I use the phone. In other words, when I added the print, I held the phone the way I will normally hold the phone. I didn't register it as if I was getting finger-printed at the police station. LOL

I also registered my index finger because sometime when the phone is sitting next to me, I'll reach over with one finger just to check it. In that case, I also registered the print in the way I will touch the button.

I'd suggest that when you register your finger prints, you register them in the way you will use them... hold the phone the way you normally do.

If you've done that already, I don't know what to tell you. It's working nearly 99% of the time for me.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I know others have posted that it will continue to learn over time, however, I can't imagine it will learn if won't recognize the fingerprint at all!

Correct. The "learning" is:

Whenever it recognizes your finger, it adds to its storage any section of the print image that it doesn't have already.

Eventually it could build up an image of your entire finger that way.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Last 3 days I've worked out, I've used the phone multiple times to change the song and TouchID has worked every time

Granted my fingers aren't super sweaty, but I'd say theres a little bit of moisture on them during and after my workout.

I use it while I workout and have never had an issue. I think some peoples fingers just don't register perfectly.

----------

Whenever it recognizes your finger, it adds to its storage any section of the print image that it doesn't have already.

You can kind of train it by locking it and unlocking at different angles again and again until it speeds up. My right thumb unlocks faster than my lock screen can show. My index is a little slower but still good.

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010

I think this is just BS. The only time it learns your finger print is when you're putting your finger prints into the system not after.

Also ppl that aren't getting good reads how about making sure you place your finger directly on the sensor instead of using your finger tips. I notice when I use my tips that's when I get bad reads.

mikejfrd

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
As stated above, try registering the same finger twice. Mine works every time with that technique with dry hands. I did however; have an issue at the gym while running on the treadmill when my hands were sweaty.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
week later it works every time for me. only time it has declined is if my hands were mildly wet from washing them or showering.

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Well, it's what Apple claims:

"Touch ID will incrementally add new sections of your fingerprint to your enrolled fingerprint data to improve matching accuracy over time."

- Apple support page for Touch Id

yeah and it's BS because it sure doesn't work that way. If you have a iphone 5s right now you should had realized how untrue this is by now. It's not learning anything outside of the learning screen.

jigzaw

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
Works fine for me. It's failed a few times but mostly because I was touching it with too much of the side of my finger rather than the front part that I'd taught it. The only thing that bugs me is when I get a message or something I can't use touchID to open it individually as swiping it brings you straight to the passcode screen, so it's either go to the homescreen and then open the app, or swipe the message from the lockscreen but then have to type the code in.

U4icLab

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
SoCal
The registering the same finger twice approach solved my pre/post hand washing inconsistency. It now seems to work 100% from morning til night. Just my 2 cents.

aggie03

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2009
I have horrible psoriasis on my hands and it still works 95% of the time for me. I have a crack across my "main print finger" and it still is able to recognize my print. I love it.

mykelala01

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
Yup it works properly

and I register all 6 (six) fingers and working fine. Yes six, if you have not heard the news, there is a trick of doing it. :D

Eeko

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
I've been using it since launch and not once has it ever denied me access. I've seen youtube videos demonstrating how to set it up and it never fails, the person always does a really poor job at setting it up. When the phone asks you to adjust your grip, they just disregard it and don't do the tips.

No wonder, people. No wonder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.