Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
wow never had an issue with my 5S or my new 6, in fact it is nearly perfect for me. Try using finger print sensor on a Samsung Galaxy S5 or other Samsung product, I locked myself out of my phone for invalid attempts, that phone sensor is horrendous, but I love the iPhone 6 touch sensor and I only have 3 fingerprints registered and they work 99 out of 100 times.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Not trolling. The 6 series is really that bad. His device is not defective. My mom's iPhone 6 touch id has not worked since she got it.

You're condemning the entire product line over someone else's experience with one phone? If her Touch ID isn't working, she should take the phone in for repair.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
So I have had my iPhone 6 since September when it first came out and from memory, Touch ID, worked flawlessly back then (I only use it to unlock my phone).

However, since all the updates of iOS 8 since September, Touch ID is getting progressively worse and worse. :(

I have 5 - YES 5, prints of my thumb print saved within the Touch ID Settings, however, at least ONCE A DAY, Touch ID FAILS to recognize my print :mad: Its bloody frustrating.......

It never used to be like this?!?

I don't have overly sweaty thumbs and my fingers are clean (both when I saved my prints and when I use my phone) yet my iPhone 6 FAILS at least once a day to recognize my thumb print.

RIDICULOUS. :mad::mad:
I would make an appointment with your local Apple Store because its unfair to say its the iPhone 6 that has a poor fingerprint reader. I don't have any problems on the latest update and it works as well as it always has. The same can be said for my wife's device. It could be a defect on yours. :)

Jeff R

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2014
I think that Touch ID is awesome. It works almost flawlessly on my iPhone 5S. It should be better on the iPhone 6 I believe. The Touch ID is so sensitive that it recognizes every microscopic flaw on your thumb print which I think is a good thing for security reasons. I scanned both thumb prints (edge to edge) on mine and it's been good to me. I'm just sharing my experience on the 5S even though I don't have the 6 lol!

perkedel

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2014
California
So I have had my iPhone 6 since September when it first came out and from memory, Touch ID, worked flawlessly back then (I only use it to unlock my phone).

However, since all the updates of iOS 8 since September, Touch ID is getting progressively worse and worse. :(

I have 5 - YES 5, prints of my thumb print saved within the Touch ID Settings, however, at least ONCE A DAY, Touch ID FAILS to recognize my print :mad: Its bloody frustrating.......

It never used to be like this?!?

I don't have overly sweaty thumbs and my fingers are clean (both when I saved my prints and when I use my phone) yet my iPhone 6 FAILS at least once a day to recognize my thumb print.

RIDICULOUS. :mad::mad:

There's either two possible cause of this: you don't know what you're doing, or your phone's Touch ID is defective. My 5s and 6 Plus Touch ID work great (and apparently so are others), so this eliminates the design problem.

Take it to an Apple Store and remove the doubt. If it's the former, perhaps the Genius Bar can help you use it as it was intended. If it's the latter, it's still under warranty.
Either way, there's no point of fuming.

goofy1958

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
Sounds like the OP has a defective phone. I would definitely set up an appt with Apple. My 6 plus has been flawless when using TouchID. Works over 99% of the time on the first try.

Please remember when you teach it your fingerprint, that you have to place your finger in the same position as when you were training it. Make sure that the pressure you use is the same as well. I know this sounds obvious, but many people don't realize that they are actually placing the finger differently and possibly pushing to hard, which distorts the finger.

Good luck!

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
I've only ever used Touch ID on my iPhone 6, but it has never been reliable and is always slow enough that just entering my 4 digit PIN is always faster.

rrm74001

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
I was having issues with mine as well. I noticed that if you are more "firm" when putting your finger on the sensor, it seems to have a greater chance of succeeding. When you first register your finger, I think it is more "lax". Then as it learns your fingerprint more and more over time, you have to be less "shy" about it. Hopefully that makes sense... :cool:

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I've had my iPhone 6 for about 3 months now, and to my recollection, only once has the TouchID misread one of my fingers.

Coupz

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013
I'm using Touch ID since late November and it didn't failed once.
Works always for me.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Mine was awesome in the beginning and I rolled my eyes at people claiming that it does not work properly but I have to say it fails more often in me now too

sometimes it fails like 3 times then I have to turn off the screen and turn it on again and all of the sudden it works on first try

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Mine was awesome in the beginning and I rolled my eyes at people claiming that it does not work properly but I have to say it fails more often in me now too

sometimes it fails like 3 times then I have to turn off the screen and turn it on again and all of the sudden it works on first try

I also retried my finger ID after the last update and still not dependable enough for me to use. When it fails three times in a row . . . . . :(

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
I vote defect or user error.

Mine has always worked great and on my 6, 6 plus, and so did my 5S.

My wife can't use it on her 6. It never ever works for her. I also have my print on her phone and it always works for me.

So in her case it's user error or defective thumb print.

Mockenrue

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2013
I think an individual's skin texture has a lot to with it. For me, Touch ID fails 90% of the time when I check it first thing in the morning after my shower or right after washing my hands. Otherwise, it works consistently.

When I record a second thumb print from a recently dried hand, it works Ok at first, then degrades consistently for then next few weeks. Is that a software issue, or is something changing with my print? Hard to say.

Either way, let's not assume that a person is doing something wrong if they're having problems and you aren't. They may just have rougher hands!

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Mine works perfectly on my iPhone 6.

The other day I sat behind a lady (55 years old or so) with an iPhone 6 who was using a 4 digit passcode to unlock her phone, rather than Touch ID. That was painful. "Don't you know you have Touch ID?!" (Is what I was screaming to myself in my own head)

----------

I can even unlock my phone with the thumb of my left foot. (not kidding).

Video or I don't believe you.

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
TouchID works fine for me every single time when i'm not really doing much but it always fails me when I have to run to a boarding gate and need to get my boarding pass up quickly, i'm sure it will always fail me when trying to pay with apple pay as well. I think it's something to do with sweat and rushing about.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Mine works perfectly on my iPhone 6.

The other day I sat behind a lady (55 years old or so) with an iPhone 6 who was using a 4 digit passcode to unlock her phone, rather than Touch ID. That was painful. "Don't you know you have Touch ID?!" (Is what I was screaming to myself in my own head)

Yeah, I've seen that too and felt the same way. :D

Once you get used to TouchID the idea of puching in even 4 digits every time you want to unlock your phone seems like madness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.