Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Despite having tested and worked on the technology, Apple has decided not to include an under-screen Touch ID sensor with the upcoming iPhone 13, continuing to leave customers with Face ID as the only biometric authentication option for the iPhone.

iPhone-12-Touch-ID-Feature-Img.jpg

Apple had been testing Touch ID technology that would have allowed the company to place the sensor under the display on the iPhone, allowing users to simply put their finger on the display to authenticate. While Apple regularly tests and researches new ideas and technologies, reports earlier in the year had suggested the company was on track to include Touch ID under the display with the 2021 iPhones.

Now, however, Apple's plans have shifted dramatically, as Bloomberg's Mark Gurman reports in his latest Power On newsletter, an under-screen Touch ID sensor "won't make the cut" for the iPhone 13. Gurman states that Apple's eventual goal is to embed Face ID under the display rather than Touch ID.

The second-generation iPhone SE is currently the only iPhone within the lineup that features Touch ID, but it has made a recent reappearance in the iPad. With the latest-generation iPad Air, Apple engineers were able to embed Touch ID into the Power Button. Apple could choose to bring that same technology to future low-end iPhones while keeping Face ID exclusive to higher-end models.

The reasons for Apple's decision to scrap its initial plan to include Touch ID with the iPhone 13 remains unknown; however, the company may not have felt that the technology is mature enough yet to go mainstream in its flagship iPhones. Alternatively, the company may have felt less pressure to include the feature following the launch of iOS 14.5, which allows customers to unlock their iPhones with their Apple Watch.

The global health crisis and daily wearing of a face mask increased demand for Touch ID, as Face ID doesn't work while a user is wearing a face covering. Apple addressed the problem with iOS 14.5 and watchOS 7.4, allowing customers to unlock their iPhone while they're wearing a mask, as long as they have an Apple Watch.

While the lack of an under-screen Touch ID sensor will be disappointing for some, Apple is still planning some considerable upgrades with the iPhone 13. The new iPhones will focus heavily on camera capabilities, including ProRes and portrait mode for videos. The new handsets will also include a smaller notch, larger batteries, and improved performance.

Article Link: Touch ID Not Returning With iPhone 13, Despite Apple Testing Under-Screen Sensor

Last edited:

contacos

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
kind of ridiculous, even my cheap Samsung Galaxy A52 from work has a under the screen fingerprint scanner and it is working flawless. I love how you just touch the screen and your finger almost lights up with an animation popping up on the screen. It almost feels like magic.

I guess that is the disadvantage of having the perfect cash cow in the case of Apple, why bother with anything but camera improvements and a faster chip that you won't really take advantage of, if people (I am not an exception!) just buy it anyway.

iHorseHead

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2021
I'm getting tired of waiting for Apple to catch up with the competition. My biggest bug bear right now is wearing face masks and not being able to authenticate Apple Pay in stores. I've never found FaceID to be more convenient than TouchID... Fix it.
What? I've heard from guys here that Apple is always the first at everything and everybody else just copies.

contacos

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2020
Why does everyone care so much about Touch ID the pandemic is over soon in the U.K. you don’t need to wear masks anymore
It may come as a shock to you but Europe (yes, the UK is still part of the continent Europe) is much more than just the UK and the pandemic certainly is far from over. Mask mandate will be in place until Spring 2022 at least

ruka.snow

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland
Glad to see TouchID is not returning to the iPhone. Face ID has always worked better and it pairs with the Apple Watch when you have a face covering. TouchID was never quite as reliable and often needed a few touches or just giving up and having to use the passcode because you had some sweat on your fingers after swearing at the bookcase until it built itself.

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
It may come as a shock to you but Europe (yes, the UK is still part of the continent Europe) is much more than just the UK and the pandemic certainly is far from over. Mask mandate will be in place until Spring 2022 at least
So then get an Apple Watch sorted, apple won’t change something because some countries still want you to wear a cloth on your face, apple will never have both Touch ID and faceID

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
I’ll be honest I’m kind of glad about this. I have it on my android work phone and it’s hardly very efficient. You have to have your finger in a very precise position and it lingers a bit to unlock. Not a long time at all but those delays build up over the day. Face ID is basically instant.

contacos

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2020
So then get an Apple Watch sorted, apple won’t change something because some countries still want you to wear a cloth on your face, apple will never have both Touch ID and faceID

It is not just about the pandemic but that is the typical response from someone who has not experienced having both on one device. It is super convenient. During the summer FaceID is annoying because it does not work with my expensive sun glasses outside = TouchID. In winter, I cannot use TouchID due to wearing gloves = faceID

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.