Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
Can someone tell me what is the use of the watch unlocking the phone (when wearing a mask) when it doesn't carry over to unlocking any app that uses FaceID? Makes my phone pretty useless to then have to copy and paste passwords to virtually every app. Why wasn't the Face Id 'approval' of the watch unlock able to be 'carried on' to the apps?

chineseguy38

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Melbourne
WHAT?! Firstly Samsung and Google Pixel have full size screens and iPhone 12 still has the notch last year. Now the new Samsung and Pixel 6 will have under screen touch ID and full size screens. iPhone 13 still has the notch plus no under screen touch ID?! Where's Apple's renovation comes from?

Reactions: snipr125

saberfi

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2015
I bet TouchID is in reality as popular as the mini model phones. Loud forum-goers go loud, but the general public cares little.

Face ID is way superior to Touch ID. Wash your hands, and you have to wait until they are 100% dry so you can unlock your phone, etc.. I remember those days and don't want them back.

Masks are also a temporary thing, trust me.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
I’ll be honest I’m kind of glad about this. I have it on my android work phone and it’s hardly very efficient. You have to have your finger in a very precise position and it lingers a bit to unlock. Not a long time at all but those delays build up over the day. Face ID is basically instant.
Correct, under screen fingerprint readers are trash, give apple time to perfect it.

Remember being first isn’t always the best option, Samsung. 😬

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Can someone tell me what is the use of the watch unlocking the phone (when wearing a mask) when it doesn't carry over to unlocking any app that uses FaceID? Makes my phone pretty useless to then have to copy and paste passwords to virtually every app. Why wasn't the Face Id 'approval' of the watch unlock able to be 'carried on' to the apps?
Pull your 😷 down for 1 second, problem solved. 😁

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
I'm getting tired of waiting for Apple to catch up with the competition. My biggest bug bear right now is wearing face masks and not being able to authenticate Apple Pay in stores. I've never found FaceID to be more convenient than TouchID... Fix it.
Complete agree. Horrible move by Apple. They had over a year to get this done and have Touch ID again while we have Covid. This new iPhone sounds like the weakest upgrade in years. If you are a pro photographer you might like the upgrade, but most of those people are using real cameras to begin with. Other than that, there is nothing upgraded, if rumors are correct, which usually are.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
I bet TouchID is in reality as popular as the mini model phones. Loud forum-goers go loud, but the general public cares little.

Face ID is way superior to Touch ID. Wash your hands, and you have to wait until they are 100% dry so you can unlock your phone, etc.. I remember those days and don't want them back.

Don’t have to tell me twice, Touch ID is garbage on my M1 mac, always having to re enter it, won’t be buying another Mac until it has Face ID.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
What? I've heard from guys here that Apple is always the first at everything and everybody else just copies.
This has probably been said billionth of times here but Apple is never first at anything and I don't think anyone claims that Apple is first at things. Apple takes their time for tech to be mature and available for productions on quantities of 8 figures or above (unlike the competition) Me first is not Apples game and no one claims it is and that is one of the reasons I stick with Apple.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011

I would agree with you if you reversed the order. Face ID still fails daily, and having to wear my watch to improve it is a bandaid solution. Since masks aren’t going away anytime soon, at least in the US, adding Touch ID now would allow people to use the entire devices life expectancy while still wearing a mask.

cyanite

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2015
With this and the spyware, for the first time ever Android is looking tempting.
The comparable service on Android, i.e. Google photos, is also doing the same scanning, has been doing it for years and is doing it with less privacy. So yeah… tempting.

Which bit of a lot of customers preferring touch ID does Apple not get?
How many is a lot, though?

calstanford

Suspended
Nov 25, 2014
Hong Kong
Goes to show what an oversized slow moving company the huge conglomarate Apple has become. Year 2 and 3 into the pandemic without a phone that works properly (unless you ALSO got an Apple Watch or you love typing in 4-6 digit numbers 100x a day while wearing a mask).

Same as their never changing phone sensors etc.

Great CPU team. Lousy iPhone team.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.