Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnyaB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2019
I'm having some issues on my phone. I have an iPhone 8 and I'm running iOS 12.4.1.

It all started when I tried to download the 12.4.1 update yesterday. I went to software update and the settings app froze then restarted. This has never happened before. I tried everything to fix it, but the only thing that worked was resetting the settings on my phone. I was able to download the update OTA no problem, but now the Touch ID won't work. Because the settings were reset, I had to redo my fingerprint. I did that, I set up the passcode, and I toggled the iPhone unlock on.

When I went to go unlock the phone with Touch ID, the phone acted like there was no Touch ID activated, not even a passcode. All I had to do was press the home button, and the home screen opened up.

I've tried everything to fix this, rebooted the phone, reset the settings (again), delete fingerprint, delete passcode, toggle everything on and off, no luck. I have the phone set to use the passcode to unlock, but I'd really like my fingerprint to work again. I don't download apps from the app store, I don't have Apple Pay, and I don't have any passwords stored on the phone, so I don't know if Touch ID works with those. I don't want to reset the whole phone or take it to the Apple store. I feel like this is a simple fix. Anybody ever run into this? Or am I stuck using the passcode forever lol.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
AnyaB

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I would restore the phone and setup as new using iTunes to see if it corrects the touchid. If it does you can restore using your backup and hopefully everything will be back to normal. Apple will make you do it anyway so worth a try.

GhettoMrBob

macrumors regular
May 21, 2014
Are you sure TouchID just isn't registering before you can see it happen and going straight to the home screen? I personally have mine set with the accessibility option "Rest Finger to Open" and it doesn't require you to press the home button, only raise the screen and it'll read your fingerprint and unlocked to home screen.

Have you tried to unlock the phone with another finger that you did not register to see if it prompts for password?

AnyaB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2019
Are you sure TouchID just isn't registering before you can see it happen and going straight to the home screen? I personally have mine set with the accessibility option "Rest Finger to Open" and it doesn't require you to press the home button, only raise the screen and it'll read your fingerprint and unlocked to home screen.

Have you tried to unlock the phone with another finger that you did not register to see if it prompts for password?

When I set up my fingerprint (which I've tried with two different fingers), it registers it and it says I can use Touch ID to unlock my phone. So, I put my phone to sleep, wake it up and rest my finger on the home button (which has worked on this phone for almost two years). But that doesn't do it, I have to press the home button to unlock the phone. Doesn't even ask me for a passcode, it acts like there isn't one set up (but there is).

I'm frustrated, but the thought of having to delete everything and restore the phone as new then load a backup on the phone, or even take it to the Apple store is even more frustrating. Everything else works on the phone perfectly, so if I have to stick with entering the passcode, I guess it's the best option (unless someone here knows how to easily fix this lol).

Thanks for the responses everyone. I really do appreciate it!

GhettoMrBob

macrumors regular
May 21, 2014
If I'm understanding your first paragraph correctly, that's exactly as it's intended to work.

- Wake screen, place finger on home button to read TouchID, press the home button to unlock to home screen.

It will ONLY go straight to the home screen WITHOUT pressing the home button if you have that setting enabled in accessibility settings.

The way you currently have it set it definitely shouldn't ask for a password unless it can't read your fingerprint. To test that out try unlocking with a finger that you haven't registered...that should prompt for your password.

I'd check the accessbility setting and enable it to see if that's what you're looking for.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

AnyaB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2019
If I'm understanding your first paragraph correctly, that's exactly as it's intended to work.

- Wake screen, place finger on home button to read TouchID, press the home button to unlock to home screen.

It will ONLY go straight to the home screen WITHOUT pressing the home button if you have that setting enabled in accessibility settings.

The way you currently have it set it definitely shouldn't ask for a password unless it can't read your fingerprint. To test that out try unlocking with a finger that you haven't registered...that should prompt for your password.

I'd check the accessbility setting and enable it to see if that's what you're looking for.

I'll definitely check the accessibility settings. Didn't even think about those getting reset after I did a settings reset (lol, I'm dumb).

The thing is, it used to work where I'd rest my finger on the home button, phone opens. Then, if I wanted to enter my passcode I would have to press the home button. All pressing the home button does is open the phone. Doesn't ask for passcode, but maybe that has to do with the accessibility settings.

I'll go home today and try all of this. Will report back tomorrow if any of this works. Thanks so very much for your help!

AnyaB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2019

OK, I went ahead and did all that and it WORKED! I'm a total moron, I should have checked all of that stuff yesterday.

Thanks again GhettoMrBob! You're a lifesaver!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.