Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While the Touch ID sensor on the new Magic Keyboard is compatible with all M1 Macs, including the new iMac and last fall's 13-inch MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, and Mac mini, MacRumors has confirmed with Apple that the Touch ID sensor will not function with the new iPad Pro, even though it also has an M1 chip.

Touch-ID-Keyboard-Feature.jpg

The new Magic Keyboard can still be used with the iPad Pro and other devices, like Intel-based Macs, with the exception of Touch ID.

Apple will be offering three versions of the Magic Keyboard, including a standard version with Touch ID, a standard version without Touch ID, and an extended version with Touch ID and a numeric keypad. However, the new Magic Keyboard will only be available with the new iMac and not sold separately, at least initially, according to Apple.

Higher-end 24-inch iMacs will ship with the Magic Keyboard with Touch ID in the box at no additional charge, but it will be a $50 upgrade option for the base model.

Article Link: Touch ID on New Magic Keyboard Isn't Compatible With M1 iPad Pro

Last edited:

WiseAJ

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
Maybe with iOS/iPadOS 15 it will be able to if they do in fact ship an iPhones with both Face ID and Touch ID in the fall. I just don't think the current versions support both at the same time right now. It's coded for one or the other.

Reactions: mazz0

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
When the new touchId keyboard does become available it is going to be a tough decision. The touchId would be great since I use my M1 MacBook Air docked in clamshell mode most of the time. The problem is that the new keyboard uses the awful up-down arrow key layout. I much prefer the traditional t-shape arrow key layout and I use the arrow keys much more than I do the touchId.

Not sure what I’ll do when they become available.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
It's compatible with the M1 Mini, apparently, but you can't buy it alone. I want one!
You can't buy it stand alone yet. Apparently the same thing has happened before, and a few months after the introduction, the keyboard was available standalone.

Freeangel1

Suspended
Jan 13, 2020
don't worry. I'm not getting a new iPad Pro. I looked at the current pricing and almost fainted.
I'll keep my 2018 1TB iPad Pro and my first gen 1TB iPad Pro . I only use my iPads to hold large music collections a sort of oversized iPod.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Of course it doesn’t. They need you to buy the Magic Keyboard. ? In all seriousness I would like to hear Apple’s reasoning behind this. Probably the same logical response behind not putting the U1 chip in the new Apple remote.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.