Touch ID sucks

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by andymac2210, Sep 24, 2013.

1. andymac2210 macrumors regular

I'd say it works about half of the time.

Set it up for both of my thumbs and every time I press the home button it seems to unlock my phone about half the time. It's literally 50/50 'try again' and successful unlocking.

I've tried re-doing the setup for it about 10 times now, doing exactly what it says on the screen and I just can't make it work properly.

My hands are not greasy, my 5s is perfectly clean and still it doesn't really 'just work' the way you'd expect it to. You seem to have to do it at the right angle every time if you want it to actually work properly, align your finger 20* to the left or right and it'll just say 'try again'.

2. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

That's your experience. Works really well for me.

3. rockitdog macrumors 68020

It works about 95% of the time for me. I love it. Works great. I have it set up for both thumb and index fingers. Nicely done Apple. :apple:

4. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Except for the fact that it has 360 degree readability. You can put it on their upside down and it will read it.

If I were you instead of saying it sucks I would take it to a genius and see if it is faulty.

5. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

You need to do the set up again, I can literally turn the phone 180° and use it upside down and it still unlocks for me.

6. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Stop re-doing the setup. Each time you do that you are re-setting its learning curve. Once you've set it up use it as normal, including trying multiple times until it works. If it rejects your fingerprint, but then accepts it again in short proximity, it 'learns' from the rejected print.

7. pmau macrumors 65816

Are you sure you are doing it correctly?

You have to click and keep the finger while you lift the button.
    If you stop touching it, it fails.

Does it work better if you first use sleep/wake at the top to get to the lock screen and then use your thumb?

8. andymac2210 thread starter macrumors regular

I click the home button and leave my finger there.

It seems to only be able to work with a small part if your finger, if you don't use the very tip it says 'try again', even if you set it up to scan that part of your thumb.

Maybe I was being a little over zealous when I said it worked 50% if the time, but it's less than 70% for me unless I take extra care to make sure I hold it right.

9. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

They do say it gets more reliable in time.. I haven't had the reliability issues but I trained it using all different angles, might want to try that.

10. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

Something is wrong I think. As people above have said it's pretty responsive and versatile. My thumb works from all sorts of angles and sometimes when I feel it shouldn't work it does. Like when I didn't touch it quite right, etc.

11. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

12. user-name-here macrumors 65816

That's weird. For most everyone who has a 5s, myself included, Touch ID seems to work perfectly. Strange.

13. phr0ze macrumors 6502a

Its fairly flawless with any part of my finger/thumb at any angle.

14. josh bear macrumors regular

Perhaps you should return it and try a new one. Mine has worked first time every time since delivery on Saturday. Previously I had to have a company mandated 8 digit pass code. Touchid is so much easier. Love it

Josh

15. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

16. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Others that have had this similar issue with their finger prints save the same finger as multiple finger spots in order to make it work. Maybe you could try setting up the finger you are trying to use the most as two different spots and make sure to really let it learn all the sides and tip of your finger, etc.

I haven't had my fail once yet.

17. Ksateskier macrumors newbie

works!

The one time it didn't work I didn't leave my finger on there long enough (meaning I clicked the home button and then moved it off. Otherwise it works flawlessly!

Its quite nice, I don't miss entering my stupid 4 digit pin AT ALL!

18. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

You don't, I often click and lift my finger (subconsciously to go to the number pad to input the code) and then remembering the print reader putting my thumb back down and it still reads and unlocks perfectly.

19. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

No it doesn't. If it rejects the print, it's because it thinks its not the print of the person who the phone is set up for, and it's instead someone elses. It doesn't save that rejected attempt and compare it again later and "learn" anything. How do you expect the phone to know if a rejected print is really you vs some stranger? It can learn from a successful attempt and make adjustments as needed, but it cannot learn from a failed attempt.

More than likely, the OP has a faulty unit and needs to exchange it.

20. R1PPER macrumors 6502

maybe he's a tradesman and warn his fingers out?

My pretty princess fingers work flawlessly.

21. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

Or rushed the setup and hasn't quite mapped the entire print area?

22. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

Return the phone. You can get a 5C in many colors.

23. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Thanks. I'll trust Anand before I'll trust you.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review/8

24. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

^ They talked about this at the announcement too. Neat stuff.

25. musicjunky macrumors regular

This is futuristic stuff! :p Yeah I suggest going to the Genius Bar if the low rate of recognition keeps up.