Touch named one of the worst...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by FearNo1, Dec 6, 2011.

1. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

Ipod touch named on of the worst tech gifts to give someone... Your thoughts?

http://gizmodo.com/5865253/the-6-absolute-worst-tech-gifts-to-give-this-holiday

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Not inevitable that Apple will put an A5 or iPhone camera in the Touch - they might drop it entirely.

As it is, the iPod Touch is a perfectly decent device. Defining devices solely on their hardware specs is silly.

3. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I hate to say it, but I can see their point. I would wait for next years iPod and that will be the biggest thing. Something tells me that there will be no shortage of sales.

4. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I don't really see the validity of the argument, other than an opinion piece.

The iPod Touch is a perfectly acceptable device. Granted, it gets the iPhone hardware updates more or less as "hand-me-downs" but it's also a hella lot cheaper than an iPhone.

5. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

And there's a better alternative, where?... The iPod Touch is amazing for what it is. You won't find anything else nearly as good. It's one of a kind. It's the perfect gift for a kid besides a smartphone.

I think the article writer doesn't know what he's talking about.

6. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

Well said, and I'm not even a fanboy. The author of that article is an idiot.

7. GeniusJon macrumors regular

8. ajohansson macrumors regular

my kids love them, they are 6 and 8!!! lets see they can face time me, call me, text me, over wifi. tons of fun apps and games. They can take picture and video.

We got them Nintendo DSI's last xmas and iPod touches in September and they were the same price!!! . They are great and really have no competition. DS was cool but I never have to go to toys r us to buy a game for the iPod touch, the kids can't lose games as they ds games are small. Really whats not to like?

9. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Good points.

I don't think any children are going to be complaining about a shiny new (to them- kids aren't typically spec oriented :rolleyes:) tech gadget that can do so many things.

Article writer doesn't know what they're talking about.

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

If you give someone an iPod Touch for Christmas and they think its a ****** gift it would probably be wise to never buy them anything ever again.

11. Chi-mex macrumors member

Yeah they say half a gagillion things that are not what people like so they get mad and give them views.

12. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I do think it likely that the iPod touch will eventually be updated with the A5, there is no way it's getting the 4S's camera module. It wouldn't even fit without making the device considerably thicker.

13. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I doubt the Touch will be getting the A5. Heat and battery life are a major consideration so you will not see one in the Touch without an enclosure change to allow a bigger battery and better heat dissipation (i.e. much thicker case). You are much more likely to see an increase in screen size to match the rumored iPhone screen size change. I would love to see 3G connectivity (same as iPads) but I think that is also unlikely.

14. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

Heat is really a problem even with my current 64GB A4 powered model. After a decent session of playing the first Infinity Blade or other CPU/GPU intensive games, the sucker gets very warm despite a iFrogz back cover I have on it (has that rubberized plastic coating on it.

My only gripe is I wish it had was the extra RAM of the iPhone 4.

15. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I disagree with the article, but I will say. Why not for a few $100 more get a bigger and better iPad? I mean seems silly to get a touch when for a few more $ you can get an iPad that can do so much more, not to metion screen real estate and superior internals. I get the allure of the touch, compact, small, can do just about anything great for kids, but IMO you'd be better off saving some extra and just getting an iPad.

16. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

17. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I didn't say it would be the current A5 chip; Heat and power consumption can be reduced by switching to a smaller manufacturing process.

18. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

If you're going to be using your iPod touch as, you know, an iPod, then the iPad is not going to work at all.

--Eric

19. Chi-mex macrumors member

What are you saying?

Also Skullcandy Skullcrushers feel waaaay better.

----------

I think that many people would accept a bigger itouch if it meant better camera, battery, and processing power because those are most important hardware on the itouch.

20. JAT macrumors 603

Proof that 20-something males have no idea what people want.

21. jeremyshaw macrumors 6502

Anything other than Samsung's 45nm process should be fine :D

22. al2o3cr macrumors regular

I suspect that anyone who doesn't already *have* an iPod or equivalent at this point probably won't care how "obsolete" the parts in it supposedly are. What's the antonym of "early adopter"?

In any case, anyone who whines about the technical details of a $200 gift should be punched in the dick. Repeatedly.

23. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

It might be good advice to state that this might not be the best time to buy an iPod Touch (though who knows how long it will be before Apple updates the line). However, it is ludicrous to suggest it's a bad gift. If someone receives an iPod Touch for Christmas, are they going to think "gee, I sure wish they hadn't wasted their money on this outdated piece of junk?" No, they're going to be happy they got such a nice gift (unless they're not tech oriented, in which case the next iPod Touch would also be a poor choice).

As to the guy who suggested "Why not for a few $100 more get a bigger and better iPad?", huh? For ease of argument, let's stick with the pricing on the Apple Store. The iPod Touch starts at $199, while the iPad starts at $499. It's $300 (150%) more expensive! It is ridiculous to suggest that these would be in the same "gift" category.

What, no one should give an 8 GB iPod Touch? Okay, let's compare 32 GB models. The iPod goes for $299, while the iPad goes for $599. That's twice as much! Yes, if you're filthy stinking rich, the difference is pretty small. However, there is a huge difference between giving someone a $300 gift and giving them a $600 gift.

24. dsiee macrumors newbie

I also agree that the iPod touch is more of a perfect gift then a horrid one.

For $168 (current price in AUD at Harvey Norman) you can't get much better value for functionality!

25. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I'd say the vast majority of iPod touch owners buy them to listen to music on, watch videos, play games, and surf the web. Most probably don't know/care what an A4 chip is, or why they would want one.

And, A4 or not, the iPod touch is still probably the best portable music player on the planet...