Touch Screen response with sweaty fingers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jhock, Aug 12, 2017.

1. jhock macrumors newbie

jhock

I've spent an hour searching on this topic but can't find much information.

How well do various touchscreen models respond to sweat?
    I'm a seriously into fitness and find that during gym sessions i can't operate my iPhone 6 screen whilst my hands are sweaty. Is their any new tech in the 6s, 7 or 7s that improve this functionality? maybe apples implementation of better water resistance is also reflected in their display tech?

2. SSAJ macrumors 6502

Just wipe your hands before touching it

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Hard to believe you searched as this has been discussed over and over.

4. jhock thread starter macrumors newbie

jhock

Hard to believe this as i see no evidence in your post.

I wish it was that simple. The sweat comes on too fast between wipes. It's like wipe, touch the screen, wipe touch the screen.

5. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502

I’ve noticed crazy behavior with even small amounts of sweat on my screen. Sometimes rain gets a similar reaction. Something to do with the conductivity and spreading out the area of contact, I imagine.

I’m not sure there’s a solution beyond wiping I’m afraid.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

7. jhock thread starter macrumors newbie

jhock

It was a good try but that relates to touch ID and not the technology behind the LCD.

I've done some research into touch screens and found out some info: Some touch screen controllers have calibration profiles which adjust the sensitivity of the screen for different environments i.e wet and dry, stylus, finger and glove.

There are also features such as water rejection and wet finger tracking in some controllers which, from what i can see from youtube videos, works with the samsung S7 quite well.

There are also prototype displays such as Fogale which using near sensing instead of direct sensing to activate commands.

What i can find out is if there is any difference between iPhone models. Which one has the best wet finger tracking.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Looks like you bought the wrong phone. You can get you an S7 for cheap. If you are sweating so profusely that your thumb will not work when you just wipe it . . . well life is just not fair!:rolleyes:

9. jhock thread starter macrumors newbie

jhock

Keeping things informative.

I wonder what touch screen controller is used in the iPhones. There are controllers such as the Cypress Automotive TrueTouch CYAT8165X which quote:

--

The Automotive TrueTouch CYAT8165X controller family delivers best-in-class accuracy and linearity for fingers of different sizes and gloves of various materials and thicknesses, including ski gloves, and automatically switches between glove and finger tracking without requiring the drivers to switch settings. With Cypress' patented DualSense™ technology to execute both self-capacitance and mutual-capacitance measurements in the same device, the family offers the industry's best water rejection and wet finger tracking for seamless performance in real-world conditions, including the presence of water droplets, condensation, or sweat. The TrueTouch portfolio's unique features are backed by an industry-leading portfolio of more than 200 capacitive touch sensing patents.

---

If such controllers were used in the iPhone it would make it more and more useful for people in sweaty environments without the need to carry around a towel as well as or cold environments without the need to buy capacitive gloves.